PDA

View Full Version : What color is your frame?

Steelhead
10-30-2006, 02:17 PM
Hello Serotta People -- I am in the process of heading down to the ol' shop and laying down the $$$ for a new custom CDA with carbon seat stay. I am still undecided as to what paint scheme I will get, i.e. solid paint for no charge, or custom paint job for the extra $225. If I go custom I am leaning toward panels or a 1/2 and 1/2 fade.

So here we go -- it is difficult to decide on color(s) based on the color samples from the website. I have looked at the frames in the shop but I am having a hard time. My favorite colors right now (subject to change at anytime) are: Candy Apple Red, Arancio, Sunset, and Royal Blue. I have yet to see any frames in these colors except a Ti Legend in C.A. Red. The color on the matte Ti was wonderful, but would it look the same on a steel CDA...

What are your thoughts? Better yet, who has good close pics they can post up of there CDA's?? Thanks for the help out there! :)

swoop
10-30-2006, 02:22 PM
doesn't the serotta website have a really great paint feature? click around on it and look in the gallery and just to a google image search on serottas.
go to bikefanclub.com too.
paint is so personal...

serotta andrew always has some great images too.

Steelhead
10-30-2006, 02:31 PM
Yes - the website does have a feature that will let you design your paint scheme, but I think it's only real feature is to show you how the paint options will look in the colors you choose. It does not have "real" colors....it simply shades in a frame the way you tell it to, like the way you can change the color of your type and font in an email. I will def. check out bikefanclub! THANKS! Keep em coming ! :)

pdxmech13
10-30-2006, 02:34 PM
My legend is sunset and my cda is green
both are solid. The sunset is pretty spectacular
in person.

After I got my legend most of Treks line used
a color that was similar and still I'm not tired
of looking at my bike. :D

tch
10-30-2006, 02:45 PM
simply brushed ti. It's utilitarian and wonderfully appropriate with everything. My Rivendell is orange and I love it; it has not grown old in 3 years.
If I were painting, I would go Arancio, turbo green, or pearl white. I tend not to like the primary colors (red, blue) all that much.

Ken Robb
10-30-2006, 02:47 PM
I like conservative paint schemes that show off the lines of the bike. Since you will have carbon stays I would pick a color that would look good with charcoal decals. I love blue, red's good too, and the orange Fierte I rode was nice in a jazzy way. Heck, my Rambouillet is one of the original orange ones.

Serotta PETE
10-30-2006, 02:51 PM
A buddy got a Arancio with dark blue panels and it is fabulous looking.

The Candy Apple red with Frost White is also one of my all time favorites.

Some one had a Dark Blue with White Panels that was fabulous also.

Be creative and daring - - - no not like me BUT like SPOKES!!!

Ozz
10-30-2006, 03:07 PM
I like this one:
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=19775&highlight=red+csi

However, your CDA won't have the head tube lug which looks so sharp....bummer.

White is always good on a road bike...

Fades? A little dated....but the the red/yellow always looks good on a Serotta.

It's been said before..."paint is personal."

Steelhead
10-30-2006, 03:25 PM
Fades? A little dated....but the the red/yellow always looks good on a Serotta.

I agree -- but ever since I saw a Serotta for the first time, circa 1990 or so that was red/yellow fade I was in love....and to commemorate that affection i thought about going with a more modern fade, like more of a deep dark red slowly fading to a dark orange...something like that. Classy with Black decals, not bright like the late 80s' early 90's.

I like the idea of Frost White and Candy Apple. Also Sunset. :)

rpm
10-30-2006, 03:34 PM
Just go the search and put in the name of each color, one at a time. Then search the image archives. You'll get some fine examples of each color. :)

davids
10-30-2006, 03:37 PM
... My favorite colors right now (subject to change at anytime) are: Candy Apple Red, Arancio, Sunset, and Royal Blue. I have yet to see any frames in these colors except a Ti Legend in C.A. Red. The color on the matte Ti was wonderful, but would it look the same on a steel CDA...

What are your thoughts? Better yet, who has good close pics they can post up of there CDA's?? Thanks for the help out there! :)
I'm a big fan of the red-oranges, too. This (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=84559&postcount=1) is one of the nicer Arancio combos I've seen - I would have been sorely tempted by this combination of Arancio and Red/White decals if I'd gone custom. There's a beautiful Sunset-painted frame hanging on the wall at Wheelworks - It's a deep, metallic red-orange, and is more subtle than the Arancio. But gorgeous.

I heartily approve of panels, too. You could do a lot worse than either Arancio or Sunset with White panels, atmo!

Have fun, and good luck - Choosing the paint strikes me as the hardest decision you'll make!

Steelhead
10-30-2006, 03:46 PM
Just go the search and put in the name of each color, one at a time. Then search the image archives. You'll get some fine examples of each color.

I'm not sure where you mean...where is the search box? I have looked all around Serotta.com and haven't found it. Is it here somewhere??

Thanks -- Sorry but I'm confused being that I am now suffering seasonal affective disorder due to daylight savings time. But my lights are on the charger as we speak !!!! :)

BillyBear
10-30-2006, 04:31 PM
...nfm

Ti Designs
10-30-2006, 04:37 PM
Red bikes are fast, blue bikes are strong...

The color is always the hardest decision to make. I've had customers pull the trigger on expensive custom bikes in seconds, then take the next three weeks torturing themselves over the color. But, when all is said and done it's what you have to live with. My suggestion (as someone who lived with a bright green bike for a season) is to get something that you like but not something that makes your eyes bug out. I've seen customers go for lug outlines and fades and masks and all kinds of stuff, only to cool on the idea later on. Then it's a case of "what was I thinking?" down the road. Take a look at Serotta paint jobs in person (organize a local forum ride - good luck with that), 'cause they don't look as good or as deep on the web site. We happen to have a candy apple CDA built, it's stunning yet it'll never be accused of being over the top in any way.

Hardlyrob
10-30-2006, 04:47 PM
Here's a pic of a "dated" CSI with a competition red to frost white fade.

Yup it's dated, same as when I bought it in 1996. I still think it looks sharp 10 years later. The hardest thing is finding bar tape that is even close to the yellow in the decals.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=22311

Rob

Waldo
10-30-2006, 04:53 PM
Silver '75 Peter Johnson; Silver '75 Masi GC; blue '82 Picchio; blue '82 Zunow. Maybe it's time for a bike of a different color...

pdxmech13
10-30-2006, 09:18 PM
candy apple will always be a classic

fades rule if you can dig'em

candy apple/orange ?

Samster
10-30-2006, 09:35 PM
like the frame (maplewood bicycles, st. louis) or like the trout? just asking...

Jason E
10-30-2006, 09:50 PM
I like the Frost white. It's rich like Lubriderm!

Here is me now, though the saddle was just thrown on for this pic and now I've a white Arione...

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-8/1062576/05ottrott.JPG

I've had some thoughts of the inverse of this though.......

http://www.serotta.com/images/legend_ST_06.jpg

You know, make it white were it is Blue and Blue where it is white....

Jack Brunk
10-30-2006, 10:02 PM
Candy apple with ti silver and carbon.

onekgguy
10-30-2006, 10:39 PM
I went through 3 different paint schemes before finally settling on this (http://kevinandtammy.net/images/ride_photos/serotta_legend_ti.jpg). I'm really happy with it. You've got a couple weeks after you place your order where you can still change things around...at least I did. My first design was a panel done in Turbo Green. From there I played around with Candy Apple Red and finally settled on Cobalt Blue. I sort of ran the gamut on design and color. In the end I defaulted to the bike shown in the brochure knowing that I liked what I saw. Best wishes for a good outcome!

Kevin

Steelhead
10-31-2006, 06:49 AM
Do all you Serotta owners live together?? Have the same garage door?? Or are those pics fromthe factory? :D

I really like the candy apple red, and am thinking of yellow decals or white w/black outline. 2nd choice for solid paint is cobalt w/yellow decals. I'll tell ya this is a pretty good problem to have, having to make this decision!

Johnnyg
10-31-2006, 07:08 AM
I love my red to yellow fade on my Ottrott ST along with unpainted chain stays and yellow lettering. To each his own good luck and ride safe.

toaster
10-31-2006, 07:17 AM
Mine is a Legend Ti half polish/half paint, the color is white.

Very classy, always looks clean, compliment getter. Can be fun to put different color tires on it although black tires and bar tape are the basic trim color.

soulspinner
10-31-2006, 07:37 AM
Frost yellow -silver front to back fade in durable powder..other road bike is a Toyota pearl red painted by a local body shop- looks similar to pinot noir.

Sandy
10-31-2006, 08:38 AM
A buddy got a Arancio with dark blue panels and it is fabulous looking.

The Candy Apple red with Frost White is also one of my all time favorites.

Some one had a Dark Blue with White Panels that was fabulous also.

Be creative and daring - - - no not like me BUT like SPOKES!!!

Didn't Climb have an absolutely gorgeous Arancio painted Serotta?

I have been thinking of getting a Cobalt Blue CDA (all steel). I did see a Candy Apple Red frame at Saratoga Springs- Stunning. I have also thought of Cobalt Blue and Frost White (or White). Candy Apple Red with Frost White would be beautiful. I guess, if I get the CDA, it will be a single color.

Silver Sandy

Ahneida Ride
10-31-2006, 08:53 AM
The discontinued Samurai Orange. ( A discreet perl orange )

Samuari Orange (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=1443&highlight=samurai+orange)

Steelhead
10-31-2006, 09:18 AM
like the frame (maplewood bicycles, st. louis) or like the trout? just asking...

Either! If I'm not riding I'm fishing! Would love to tour the rockies on my bike someday with a 5 or 7 piece rod and catch some nice fish! :D

dave thompson
10-31-2006, 10:43 AM
Do all you Serotta owners live together?? Have the same garage door?? Or are those pics fromthe factory? :D
No. However the forum rules state that a Serotta approved garage door must be used when posting photos of your new bike. One of us forumites must come to your house (at your expense) to inspect your garage door and if it is to specs, we will approve it. And you thought that owning a Serotta was just merely a bike purchase! ;)

deechee
10-31-2006, 10:49 AM
isn't candy apple red extra? I wanted it but decided with black.
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=5160
Depending on the mood, red tires, red&silver seat, bar tape all add color to the bike depending on my mood. Then again, most of my friends say I'm conservative.

Jason E
10-31-2006, 10:50 AM
No. However the forum rules state that a Serotta approved garage door must be used when posting photos of your new bike. One of us forumites must come to your house (at your expense) to inspect your garage door and if it is to specs, we will approve it. And you thought that owning a Serotta was just merely a bike purchase! ;)

Yeah, when buying or house, I had to special order the garage door from Saratoga Door & Hinge Supply just to comply. Boy was my wife pissed!

I wish the Arancio was a little more "Syracuse". Then it would be a no brainer.

That said, a race paint going from Arancio to Cobalt with a white seperator stripe and white decals would be nice.

I miss the Gold Outline Black decals like ergott has. Those are super-duper, too!

dave thompson
10-31-2006, 10:57 AM
Yeah, when buying or house, I had to special order the garage door from Saratoga Door & Hinge Supply just to comply. Boy was my wife pissed!

I wish the Arancio was a little more "Syracuse". Then it would be a no brainer.

That said, a race paint going from Arancio to Cobalt with a white seperator stripe and white decals would be nice.

I miss the Gold Outline Black decals like ergott has. Those are super-duper, too!
Custom decals can be made by most any competent painter. I had these done when my ST was repainted.

rpm
10-31-2006, 11:34 AM
[QUOTE=Steelhead
I'm not sure where you mean...where is the search box? I have looked all around Serotta.com and haven't found it. Is it here somewhere??
[/QUOTE]

The search box is a pull-down from the tool bar at the top of the site, just under the name of the forum. You have to be logged in to see it and use it.

george
11-07-2006, 10:51 AM
Your new serotta should be a direct reflection of your personality, so what is your favorite color? Mine is green so I picked jade green as base color and contrasted with compition yellow labels :)

Jeff N.
11-07-2006, 09:12 PM
As Mick Jagger has said... "Paint It Black". Gloss black with white, yellow or red decals is my favorite. Jeff N.

trophyoftexas
11-07-2006, 10:26 PM
Steelhead, I've learned pretty quickly to not say "garage door" or "retro" here on the forum.....if you do, duck 'cause you have made YOURSELF a target! :bike:

Bike colors....YOUR choice in the end....I've always like white and yellow in some combination. Do what everyone here says about visiting sites....JBell, Bayless, Kirk, many, many more all have great photos to look at....and then go away more mixed up than ever. :crap: Hey, it ain't like choosing a spouse...IT'S MORE IMPORTANT THAN THAT!!!!! Comparing those two always remember, a re-paint is waaaaaaay cheaper than a divorce!

flounder
11-08-2006, 11:41 AM
I have a new CdA, just days away from being released from the shop. I went with Arancio and Sapphire Blue in the Peloton scheme. I'll post a picture in the gallery once she's home. I hope my garage door is satisfactory.

Fat Robert
11-08-2006, 12:30 PM
blue

with red decals

when the decal guy gets em to where they're going

Steelhead
11-08-2006, 04:52 PM
Do what everyone here says about visiting sites....JBell, Bayless, Kirk,

What are the URL's or how can I google for these?? Thanks !

landshark_98
11-08-2006, 06:28 PM
www.kirkframeworks.com

saab2000
11-08-2006, 06:53 PM
This is my Serotta Colorado III. I did not design it and cannot take credit for the nice paint design. But I sure like it.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=18090&highlight=CIII