PDA

View Full Version : Custom Bike Painters

sacwolf
08-06-2018, 05:17 PM
Hello there. Looking to get a carbon bike frame custom painted. Any recommendations here in California, other than Calfee?

Thanks

Lanternrouge
08-06-2018, 05:24 PM
If you want the best and are willing to pay a bit more and wait, there's Joe Bell in the San Diego area. There's also Joe's Bicycle Painting that's right by Calfee. You might also want to ask Steve Rex who he uses for painting. My thought is that unless it's close enough to drive, it doesn't really matter where the painter is since you still have to box it up and ship. Another option is to contact Cryptic Cycles and see if Kevin will get it handled as he works with an artist (I think maybe his significant other) for some pretty neat paint jobs on his bikes. Yet another option is http://www.carbonframerepair.com/, which is local to me. I haven't seen any just refinishes he's done.

ergott
08-06-2018, 05:56 PM
Not CA, but on your coast. Really nice paint

http://www.blackmagicpaint.com/home

Dougb
08-06-2018, 07:12 PM
Hello there. Looking to get a carbon bike frame custom painted. Any recommendations here in California, other than Calfee?

Thanks

Ed Litton does great work, although he specializes mostly in classic bikes. He builds too.

sacwolf
08-06-2018, 07:32 PM
Thanks for the recommendations. I’ll start putting out some messages to these folks.

bikinchris
08-06-2018, 07:37 PM
Cyclart used to be in California, but they moved to Little Rock so they could paint new bikes too. If you are shipping it, you might as well send it there.

Mike V
08-06-2018, 08:10 PM
Ed Litton does great work, although he specializes mostly in classic bikes. He builds too.

That is who Steve Rex uses.

Rudy
08-06-2018, 08:25 PM
If you want the best and are willing to pay a bit more and wait, there's Joe Bell in the San Diego area. There's also Joe's Bicycle Painting that's right by Calfee. You might also want to ask Steve Rex who he uses for painting. My thought is that unless it's close enough to drive, it doesn't really matter where the painter is since you still have to box it up and ship. Another option is to contact Cryptic Cycles and see if Kevin will get it handled as he works with an artist (I think maybe his significant other) for some pretty neat paint jobs on his bikes. Yet another option is http://www.carbonframerepair.com/, which is local to me. I haven't seen any just refinishes he's done.

Make an appointment to meet JB at his shop. Arrive with good spirits. Even if you decide to go a different way your life will have changed for the better.

Spaghetti Legs
08-06-2018, 08:25 PM
I had touch up work done on my vintage steel DeRosa and was very pleased with Duane's work. He does custom too - in Chicago but shipping a carbon frame/fork won't cost more the $50 or 60 round trip from Cali.

https://www.chestercycles.com/Chester_Cycles/Welcome_To_Chester_Cycles.html

Spaghetti Legs
08-06-2018, 08:26 PM
Make an appointment to meet JB at his shop. Arrive with good spirits. Even if you decide to go a different way your life will have changed for the better.

What's he like? Whiskey?

Rudy
08-06-2018, 08:45 PM
What's he like? Whiskey?

I brought beer and vaguely remember tequila. I rode my Jason Sanchez-painted Ellis. Joe thought it very well done. High praise from one of the masters. JB doesn‘t do much painting anymore, I don’t believe, but his main guy matches the standard.

Joe
08-06-2018, 09:37 PM
I don’t know if this is still the case but Steve Rex used to send his bikes to Russ Pickett in Chico for painting. Russ does not have a website but a search for his name or AirArt should get you a phone number.
Russ repainted our daughter’s Trek a few years ago. It was a little hard to keep him on schedule but he did a great job.

Mike Lopez
08-06-2018, 09:42 PM
JB still paints. Give him a ring.

I brought beer and vaguely remember tequila. I rode my Jason Sanchez-painted Ellis. Joe thought it very well done. High praise from one of the masters. JB doesn‘t do much painting anymore, I don’t believe, but his main guy matches the standard.

dave thompson
08-06-2018, 09:57 PM
What's he like? Whiskey?

Tequila. We’ve shared some.

speedevil
08-06-2018, 10:21 PM
Another +1 for Duane at chestercycles. He's now touched up 2 Lemonds for me, will be touching up a Masi, and painting a Pinarello. Top quality work and a nice guy too.

KarlC
08-07-2018, 08:53 AM

Thanks

You in Sac ?

If so there is a guy in your area that does great work for a fair price. I will PM you his info

ntkt10
08-07-2018, 11:40 AM
A second for Black Magic. You can check out their work on instagram.

Mzilliox
08-07-2018, 01:13 PM
most of these painters are too expensive for a riding bike. Id look to some of the more local choices. Paint is just paint unless is museum paint, so unless you have something in mind that requires a fair bit of skill, id not use the likes of a Black Magic or Joe Bell personally. those are boutique finishes, not rider finishes. then again, you may be looking for the bling bling treatment, in which case id certainly skip Joe Bell and dial up Black Magic. no offense to Mr Bell, but unless its a panel classic with lug lines, why not go with someone who specializes in cool modern paint jobs?

zap
08-07-2018, 01:37 PM
Following.

Any rec's for painters in/near Raleigh, North Carolina? Have a tandem frame that needs some touch up.

bjf
08-07-2018, 03:36 PM
Cyclart used to be in California, but they moved to Little Rock so they could paint new bikes too. If you are shipping it, you might as well send it there.

Cyclart is no longer in business, even in Arkansas. Allied bought the business, moved the people to Arkansas to do their production painting, with a promise that Cyclart could still do custom on the side. However, that arrangement has ended, and as Cyclart belongs to Allied, which doesn't do custom, there is effectively no Cyclart.

Drmojo
08-07-2018, 04:32 PM
I don’t know if this is still the case but Steve Rex used to send his bikes to Russ Pickett in Chico for painting. Russ does not have a website but a search for his name or AirArt should get you a phone number.
Russ repainted our daughter’s Trek a few years ago. It was a little hard to keep him on schedule but he did a great job.
2 of my frames were done by him--he used to paint for Sycip also.
Phenomenal--as good as My Joe Bell bikes--and more creative if you ask me
you have to call and hope he picks up, or calls back, no web presence

KarlC
08-08-2018, 08:46 AM

Thanks

There is some of the guy I knows work on his IG, he been painting bikes and boards for years (he works in the industry)

I PMed you his cell number tell him Karl sent you

https://www.instagram.com/sethosprayo/

pdonk
08-08-2018, 09:17 AM
If you have to ship, and with our dollar as bad as it is maybe worth checking out:

velocolour http://velocolour.com/ - crazy details

toxik harold http://www.toxikdesignlab.com/ - does amazing vintage mtb fades and patterns - painted for brodie and dekerf for years

dekerf - https://www.dekerf.com/paint/ - paint on my 20 year old bike still in very good shape, except where I have cause preventable damage.

sacwolf
08-08-2018, 11:31 AM
@mzilliox- I think I may be more in line with your logic. I should have been clear in my post- I bought in the forum a Ritte Van Vlaanderen and thought I’d like to paint it the color of the new Ritte Ace- kind of a cool blue color- single color, nothing to “artsy”. This will in fact be my actual bike to ride regularly. Not really
Looking to spend a ton, although a quality paint job is obviously still desired.

Got my first quote from black magic, and holy wow- $1100! I see they do some quality work, but not sure this is what my expectation was. Is that in line with your experiences for the most part, for a one color paint job?

@karlc- I’ll check with the local guy and see what he can do for me.

Still waiting for some other quotes- I’ll remain hopeful. :banana:

Never
08-08-2018, 03:28 PM

Thanks

If you are in Sacramento, you could just call or drop in to Steve Rex and ask him. He used to send all his frames to a painter, Russ Pickett; also pretty local iirc. The Rex gallery is good.

Never
08-08-2018, 03:28 PM

I think maybe he retired?

Never
08-08-2018, 03:31 PM
That is who Steve Rex uses.
Really?

Yes, sorry, that I posted that before reading your post. I think Russ Pickett/Air Art is correct too, at least that is what Rex told me a couple of years ago. But I don't know if it is still so. The easiest thing is just him call up.

Never
08-08-2018, 03:40 PM
most of these painters are too expensive for a riding bike. Id look to some of the more local choices. Paint is just paint unless is museum paint, so unless you have something in mind that requires a fair bit of skill, id not use the likes of a Black Magic or Joe Bell personally. those are boutique finishes, not rider finishes. then again, you may be looking for the bling bling treatment, in which case id certainly skip Joe Bell and dial up Black Magic. no offense to Mr Bell, but unless its a panel classic with lug lines, why not go with someone who specializes in cool modern paint jobs?

That's a good point. It surely does depend on the quality one wants. Some of those paint jobs are incredibly expensive, over $1000.

I don't see any issue with Joe Bell, though, if one is looking for top work. Yes he's expensive (but just like Black Magic, VC, etc.) but also really good, great experience/reputation, really pro, and afaik 1 of only 2 USA painters approved by Dario Pegoretti to do re-paints. So, definitely not just "classic", but also surely as or more modern than anybody else.

I have heard that Allan Wanta is good too, but he is all the way in Florida.

bikinchris
08-08-2018, 03:41 PM
Cyclart is no longer in business, even in Arkansas. Allied bought the business, moved the people to Arkansas to do their production painting, with a promise that Cyclart could still do custom on the side. However, that arrangement has ended, and as Cyclart belongs to Allied, which doesn't do custom, there is effectively no Cyclart.

Wow, that's a real shame. They made really great paintjobs. I was lucky enough to own a bike painted by them once upon a time.

Never
08-08-2018, 03:54 PM
Wow, that's a real shame. They made really great paintjobs. I was lucky enough to own a bike painted by them once upon a time.
That really is too bad. They were very nice people, very good, fair, and with a lot of resources like old decals etc. plus years of experience.

If those promises about the custom work weren't honored, that's too bad. CyclArt seemed really good, so hopefully they can come back in some form.

I don't really understand the Spectrum Powder Works sold to Mosaic deal either. A lot of builders from all across the country used/mentioned Spectrum. Now I never hear anything about them. Maybe they are now only private to Mosaic, but that doesn't seem that it would make sense really, for one smallish builder only.

brownhound
08-08-2018, 04:17 PM
^^^
I recently had Spectrum do some painting for me. Stellar job. Slow because of the transition to Mosaic. I would use them again.

SpeedyChix
08-08-2018, 04:27 PM
Ollie @Dark Matter Finishing. He was at Spectrum for a long time.
He's not in CA but is reasonably nearby in CO.

http://www.darkmatterfinishing.com/portfolio
He's also on instagram.

prototoast
08-08-2018, 05:17 PM
D&D Cycles in San Lorenzo. https://www.yelp.com/biz/d-and-d-cycles-san-lorenzo

I have a bike painted by him, and it was done well.

Hellgate
08-08-2018, 05:23 PM
Not in CA, but in Seattle.

https://www.nowyourefinished.com/

Another nod for Dark Matter. The paint on my 333fab is flawless.

Andy sti
08-08-2018, 05:39 PM
My frame is at Dark Matter right now. This is a new build and it’s who the builder uses and he has for a long time - back with Spectrum too. My email interactions with Ollie have been good. Don’t know what his pricing is though.

Mike V
08-08-2018, 07:03 PM
Really?

When I went down there and had some work done on one of my bikes I asked about paint. The person who runs the shop portion told me that they use Ed Litton and D&D for most of their stuff.

Do you know something I don't?

Jeff N.
08-08-2018, 07:21 PM
JB still paints. Give him a ring.Joe Bell. Accept no substitute.

rccardr
08-08-2018, 08:32 PM
Spectrum's work is exceptional. I have a Cinelli rechromed and painted through them and it's gorgeous.

Have also had several steel frames painted by Al Wanta, and would recommend him without reservation. Don't know how much carbon he does, but his prices are fair and the work is solid.