PDA

View Full Version : Another death

kookmyers
08-05-2018, 11:15 PM
My condolences to anyone who knew this person.

https://timesofsandiego.com/crime/2018/08/04/bicyclist-killed-in-rancho-san-diego-crash/amp/

I’ve only read what was presented in this article.

I’m sorry, call me skeptical. I don’t believe the story and it makes me so sad/fearful/angry.

metalheart
08-05-2018, 11:24 PM
Devastatingly sad.....

CSTRider
08-05-2018, 11:40 PM
Yes, very sad, and the deceased rider apparently had no identification on him. Note to self: always wear my RoadID.

Bruce K
08-06-2018, 01:04 AM
Very sad

I can’t fathom the logic of leaving the house without ID - if you don’t want to carry cards then ToadID is such an easy solution.

Be safe out there.

BK

weisan
08-06-2018, 04:03 AM
first time I read a news report actually mentioned the brand/model of the bike involved in an accident.

R3awak3n
08-06-2018, 04:37 AM
Very sad

I can’t fathom the logic of leaving the house without ID - if you don’t want to carry cards then ToadID is such an easy solution.

Be safe out there.

BK

There has been a couple of times at least that Inforgot my wallet at home. Mid ride I check for it and wel I am already out so I carry on without it. It happens.

Very sad to hear as always. May he RIP

soulspinner
08-06-2018, 05:33 AM
first time I read a news report actually mentioned the brand/model of the bike involved in an accident.

I noticed that.

Bruce K
08-06-2018, 05:55 AM
Probably listed the bike so tgat maybe someone will recognize a freind’s ride an identify the cyclist.

And yes, we all forget stuff at times which is why owning a RiadID is so simple. You can get them to fit on your smartwatch band or one of several other styles where you will either always have it with you or just won’t forget.

BK

ptourkin
08-06-2018, 09:08 AM

Based on the location, it could be quite relevant. Waiting to hear. A tragedy regardless.

ultraman6970
08-06-2018, 09:36 AM
Silly big mistake that cost the dude his life, sad... Somebody must be looking for him. Just came back from canada and I saw a lot of people doing just the silliest mistakes while riding in the streets with cars, specially in quebec area where from what i noticed you can find bunch of elderly people and families taking sightseeing rides. Even in montreal my wife saw a dude nailed by a car dropping off passengers in the bike line, cut the dude in front the passengers opened the door and game over, passengers and driver just disappeared, sucked.

jimcav
08-06-2018, 09:49 AM
the sudden swerve defense from the driver rings hollow to me. i guess if i ever venture back on roads, i am going to invest in a good set of front and rear cameras so my family will at least have the peace of mind of knowing what really happened, and potentially the ability to get justice

cmg
08-06-2018, 10:19 AM
Sad news.. Who reported it, the driver? Did someone witness the sudden swerve to the left ? haven't seen my Road ID in years, where did I put?

dddd
08-06-2018, 08:06 PM
If the driver was inattentive and/or distracted, the cyclist appearing suddenly in their view before or after impact might make it seem like the cyclist swerved, and I suppose that a driver might maintain that version of a story even after realizing what really happened.

A local cyclist here got hit from behind by the mirror of a box truck last year, and was declared dead on the scene. It was claimed that the rider swerved, and no charges resulted.

pobrien
08-06-2018, 08:29 PM
the sudden swerve defense from the driver rings hollow to me. i guess if i ever venture back on roads, i am going to invest in a good set of front and rear cameras so my family will at least have the peace of mind of knowing what really happened, and potentially the ability to get justice

I have the new Fly 12 and Fly 6 on my bike now. It has been a week or so and they are pretty easy to use. Same reason jimcav gave.

I leave my Road ID tags in my helmet to avoid misplacing them.

Spdntrxi
08-06-2018, 08:42 PM
I also heard that sudden swerve story before as well... hoping there was a camera involved somewhere..

kookmyers
08-06-2018, 09:37 PM
Front and rear cameras are great but they aren’t bringing us back to life. Does anyone have any suggestions for law changes and punishment changes to make driving more of a risk?

I was thinking of mandatory drive cams and (brace yourself) guilty until proven innocent in any collision. Lots of holes in my idea....what about the camera failing at no fault of your own? Anyway, there must be a better way.

Ken Robb
08-06-2018, 10:23 PM
I also heard that sudden swerve story before as well... hoping there was a camera involved somewhere..
Will a camera bring a crushed rider back?

jimcav
08-06-2018, 10:38 PM
Will a camera bring a crushed rider back?

having lost people due to some poor choices in healthcare/lifestyle, i do think it matters what the plot is, rather than just the ending. It is just my view, but the story as it stands is the rider made a choice (swerving) that cost him his life; and I'd bet from the dozens of folks i see drift across lane lines EVERY day when i drive locally whether to Vons, my sons's karate class, or my local trails - longest trip is 6 miles one way-well, I think that is not the true story. A camera could tell it, and allow the family to know, and possibly seek justice for the fact that the rider is NEVER coming back.

Bruce K
08-07-2018, 01:28 AM
A driver’s dash cam caught a hit and run in Boston.

Rider circling a rotary (round about) and the car ahead of the dashcam turns right to exit the rotary, hitting the cyclist and knocking her down.

Fortunately her injuries were fairly minor according to the news report.

Video released to try and track down the vehicle (I am inferring they can’t read the plate).

Not sure the dashcam of the offending vehicle would do anything as it sideswiped the rider but the one in the witness vehicle may (hopefully) be useful.

BK

cachagua
08-07-2018, 01:53 AM
Does anyone have any suggestions for law changes and punishment changes to make driving more of a risk?

What I always say is that the driver's seat should be bolted to the front bumper. Obviously that couldn't exactly be done overnight, and there's a little hyperbole to the suggestion... but the central problem is that drivers aren't invested in driving safely. They're too well protected from the effects of driving irresponsibly. Or said another way: driving irresponsibly *is* driving safely, when you're the driver.

I don't think it should be the goal to make driving more dangerous for drivers, but re-connecting them somehow with the consequences of the way they drive is, I fear, the only way to get people to take the situation seriously.

You know what I'd settle for, though, as a start? I'd settle for no video screens in the driver's line of sight. WHO THOUGHT THAT WOULD BE OKAY? The government regulates a lot of industries, with generally pretty good results and sometimes spectacular results (the stellar, no, the intergalactic safety record of commercial airlines is an example). Why hasn't it put some meaningful regulations on what carmakers can put in the driver's environment?

However I'm getting rather far afield from the incident that started this thread.

kookmyers
08-12-2018, 01:38 AM
The story has changed...

https://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/Bicyclist-Killed-Last-Weekend-in-La-Mesa-Identified-490634931.html?amp=y

tuscanyswe
08-12-2018, 04:09 AM
The story has changed...

https://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/Bicyclist-Killed-Last-Weekend-in-La-Mesa-Identified-490634931.html?amp=y

Hard to believe how careless ppl are behind the wheel ;/

buddybikes
08-12-2018, 05:43 AM
1. More people = more cars. We have grown as a nation and public infrastructure (subways/trains) haven't caught up.

2, Drugs and alcohol - don't need to expand here

3. Distracted driving - some new cars this year will have 8x10 LED screen, probably 18 cup holders. Of course the evil of all cell phone use

4. Resistance from communities to invest in bike paths and bike lanes that actually have some more protection barriers. Even in Montreal there are protected bike lanes and they need to plow that somehow (unless they are seasonal, not sure)

5. Lack to true prosescution.

6. Riders need to take share and follow the rules of road. Blowing through stop signs, weaving (where not appropriate) pisses drivers off and you doing this at one intersection, may risk a normal rider down the road as the driver's temper raises.

We've basically lost any battle on streets, maybe the gravel bikes truly are more than a fad.

ultraman6970
08-12-2018, 08:25 AM
I drive a bus for a living and many times i say the newguys that no matter if the guy has the stop sign of the yield sign, if you see a sucker or a small vehicle in the intersection, better for you to stop and take control of the situation let them go 1st, you dont want to kill anybody.

Second thing i tell them aswell is... if the cyclist is close to the intersection, just dont pass him, follow behind because you wont see him at some point and you dont know what the dude will do, again... you dont want to kill anybody. In the intersection you dont know if they will turn or go straight (many cyclist take the wrong line all the time, Einsteins!!!) so if you are going to turn in the intersection/light just wait for the cyclist to do the 1st move but never cut them turning left or right before they move because there is a big chance to nail the sucker under the wheels, again... you dont want to kill anybody.

You gonna pass a cyclist in a long long avenue? put the lights and just move the bus half way the other line, again you dont know what the idiot will do... at the same time you give time the guys behind the bus to see him/her and they will move aswell around the rider.... we have a 3 feet distance law in here but guys dont care and the problem is that sometimes is the rider who screw up because they think they are the owners of the whole street... cyclist that sucks at common sense in streets are the ones that are risking a bad day...

They look at me, but at least they see the idea and with new drivers is easier to get the msg through than with jerks behind the wheel.

572cv
08-12-2018, 12:28 PM
I drive a bus for a living and many times i say the newguys that no matter if the guy has the stop sign of the yield sign, if you see a sucker or a small vehicle in the intersection, better for you to stop and take control of the situation let them go 1st, you dont want to kill anybody.

Second thing i tell them aswell is... if the cyclist is close to the intersection, just dont pass him, follow behind because you wont see him at some point and you dont know what the dude will do, again... you dont want to kill anybody. In the intersection you dont know if they will turn or go straight (many cyclist take the wrong line all the time, Einsteins!!!) so if you are going to turn in the intersection/light just wait for the cyclist to do the 1st move but never cut them turning left or right before they move because there is a big chance to nail the sucker under the wheels, again... you dont want to kill anybody.

You gonna pass a cyclist in a long long avenue? put the lights and just move the bus half way the other line, again you dont know what the idiot will do... at the same time you give time the guys behind the bus to see him/her and they will move aswell around the rider.... we have a 3 feet distance law in here but guys dont care and the problem is that sometimes is the rider who screw up because they think they are the owners of the whole street... cyclist that sucks at common sense in streets are the ones that are risking a bad day...

They look at me, but at least they see the idea and with new drivers is easier to get the msg through than with jerks behind the wheel.

Whoa Ultra, way to go on taking the situations and explaining to the other guys. This was a great post. Much applause from here. :banana:

oldpotatoe
08-12-2018, 01:14 PM
This is just from my 2.5 hours Sunday ride that I just finished. 5, that’s right, 5 cyclists that ran stop signs, one guy that ran a red light. One guy who passed me(hey, old fart, get passed a lot) ON THE RIGHT and didn’t say a farging word...we are our own worse enemy...

ultraman6970
08-12-2018, 04:13 PM
Went out with my older kid today... an asian woman (im asian, i can say it) almost runs us in a intersection because she was driving like Mr magoo...

Coming back two geniuses timed a situation wrong, and they rear ended a girl jogging, the girl was ok but the 2nd rider hit the deck. Did not even want to bother stopping because I was going to get sarcastic with them, that accident shouldn't have happen, totally bike rider's fault....

gdw
08-12-2018, 06:37 PM
This is just from my 2.5 hours Sunday ride that I just finished. 5, that’s right, 5 cyclists that ran stop signs, one guy that ran a red light. One guy who passed me(hey, old fart, get passed a lot) ON THE RIGHT and didn’t say a farging word...we are our own worse enemy...

And the CU students aren't back yet. Be thankful you don't ride at night. Last year every time we counted over 50 percent of the kids we saw were riding after dark without lights.

pbarry
08-12-2018, 06:50 PM

And the CU students aren't back yet. Be thankful you don't ride at night. Last year every time we counted over 50 percent of the kids we saw were riding after dark without lights.

I had two cyclists pull BS moves while I was driving last week: In my dually work truck, a rider jetted across N 75th St. at St. Vrain, (50mph + traffic), and pulled an abrupt 90 at the edge of the road, so fast my foot barely made it to the brake pedal. The other crossed Hwy 66, (65mph SL) at rush hour, running a stop sign off a side street, again, way too close for comfort. The other regular adventure is a wobbly try-guy on N 75th who cannot ride in a straight line on the bullhorns, never mind the aero extensions. He passes other riders on blind hills, never looking back to see what's going on. I feel like Clarence, watching over him.

oldpotatoe
08-13-2018, 07:38 AM

A lot are..ought to see the parking lot at Target, it's PACKED...Law says rear reflector, front light..can be had for like 2 beers worth..but no enforcement..