PDA

View Full Version : Light Bicycle Wheelset/Rims owners

cyan
08-05-2018, 07:09 PM
Wanted to ask people who actually have had experiences with Light Bicycle products: competitive prices aside, how good and safe are their products?

Their wheelsets (with DT 240 hubs) are near $1000, and with Dura Ace C40 sometimes found at around $1200 (admittedly not full carbon), I wonder how truly competitive they are.

More importantly, how robust are they? I'm doing a lot of climbings so braking heat problems can be a deal breaker.

Lastly, would you recommend getting their fully built wheels or just the rims? I've heard they (used to?) contract manufacture for some big brands, and if true, would imagine the build quality above average.

Thanks.

dem
08-05-2018, 07:17 PM
I've beaten the heck out of 2 sets, one on a full suspension MTB with Hope 40T hubs, and the set on my gravel bike with 240S hubs.

That said, I only run disc brakes with carbon wheels. They built both sets to my spec.

I firmly believe the only thing you get with big name carbon is a no questions asked warranty.

Their new wide (30mm od, 23 mm id) rim looks really nice for gravel applications: https://www.lightbicycle.com/Road-bicycle-rims-30mm-wide-56mm-deep-aero-clincher-road-disc-brake-available.html

cyan
08-05-2018, 11:13 PM
I've beaten the heck out of 2 sets, one on a full suspension MTB with Hope 40T hubs, and the set on my gravel bike with 240S hubs.

That said, I only run disc brakes with carbon wheels. They built both sets to my spec.

I firmly believe the only thing you get with big name carbon is a no questions asked warranty.

Their new wide (30mm od, 23 mm id) rim looks really nice for gravel applications: https://www.lightbicycle.com/Road-bicycle-rims-30mm-wide-56mm-deep-aero-clincher-road-disc-brake-available.html

When you said they built to your specs, you meant you used their online configurator to pick and choose the options, or they can be even more bespoke than that?

jm714
08-05-2018, 11:45 PM
I’m 220 lbs and have put about 1000 miles into a set of their rims on my full suspension Giant MTB without any issues. I bought the rims and had them built up on DT hubs and spokes.

echelon_john
08-06-2018, 12:10 AM
Have built ~15 sets for riders of all sizes and (knock on wood) zero problems so far.

marciero
08-06-2018, 05:57 AM
When you said they built to your specs, you meant you used their online configurator to pick and choose the options, or they can be even more bespoke than that?

I know they will drill per your specs, which is one are where some boutique-y brands will differ in that their spoke holes are molded rather than machined.

dan_hudson
08-06-2018, 06:51 AM
+1 to other comments. Have a set on my MTB (the FS trail bike). Some typical abrasions from rocks but been solid with no issues for two years.

Don't know that I would make one of the direct-buy companies my first choice for a rim brake build but been very happy when braking via disc.

dem
08-06-2018, 07:43 AM

I believe for one set I just used the tool, the other one I emailed them to get the Hope 40T hubs. They will acquire other stuff than what is on the site, but those parts tend to be similar to US pricing and have to be available in China (ie, Chris King is probably not likely.)

ptourkin
08-06-2018, 08:05 AM
Use the US/NA site. They are building with Industry Nine now, which I have had great luck with and are good for matchy/matchy.

Hamfist
08-06-2018, 12:18 PM
Beat the heck out of their MTB wheels. I had a set of their aero road rims on 240s. One rim blew out when inflating the tire; the other was hopelessly weak and required repeated truing. Sold them for Boyds which are a 1000x better.

cyan
08-06-2018, 07:28 PM
I've heard they don't use washers for spokes/nipples when they build the wheels. Is that going to be problem for the structural robustness the wheels? Or is that a norm for carbon wheels?

ikecycke
08-06-2018, 07:38 PM
I've heard they don't use washers for spokes/nipples when they build the wheels. Is that going to be problem for the structural robustness the wheels? Or is that a norm for carbon wheels?

Not a problem at all. I've built hundreds of carbon wheels, including many for a pretty well-known company, and have never touched a washer.

dddd
08-06-2018, 08:17 PM
My experience as well. No need for washers as there is no tendency of galling between nipple and rim.

Beware of claimed ERD dimensions, different brands of rims measure differently and I've had brands including Light Bicycle that were several mm off from their posted dimensions. Measure them carefully yourself and be sure to use the value as described by your preferred spoke length calculator.