PDA

View Full Version : OT: Jerry Kramer in Hall of Fame

marciero
08-04-2018, 09:09 PM
It's been decades since I've followed football, but this caught my attention as I glanced up at the tv while waiting to pick up take-out. As a child I read the classic Instant Replay and became a Packers fan. It was my introduction to the Lombardi legend. I understand that there had been a campaign of sorts to have him inducted.
Here is link to his speech.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3k_gjujFmM

Birddog
08-04-2018, 10:02 PM
Thanks for posting that, what a terrific speech. I can't believe he wasn't already in the HOF. He was a local legend and I was a big fan of his in my youth, now after hearing that, even more so.

Climb01742
08-05-2018, 07:07 AM
When I was a kid, I vividly remember our family getting our first color TV. We got it on a Saturday. Then on Sunday we watched our first NFL game in color. By luck, the Packers were playing that Sunday, in their green and yellow uni’s. Holy cow. Color TV was incredible by itself but those uniforms became an almost mythical memory for me, they were just so cool. And to be worn by Lombardi’s Packers just cemented it as something I’ll never forget. Seeing Jerry Kramer and Fuzzy Thurston pull blocking for Jim Taylor and pass blocking for Bart Starr...[sigh];)

marciero
08-05-2018, 07:21 AM
When I was a kid, I vividly remember our family getting our first color TV. We got it on a Saturday. Then on Sunday we watched our first NFL game in color. By luck, the Packers were playing that Sunday, in their green and yellow uni’s. Holy cow. Color TV was incredible by itself but those uniforms became an almost mythical memory for me, they were just so cool. And to be worn by Lombardi’s Packers just cemented it as something I’ll never forget. Seeing Jerry Kramer and Fuzzy Thurston pull blocking for Jim Taylor and pass blocking for Bart Starr...[sigh];)

The famous "Packer sweep"... I only read about this stuff after the fact, around '71 or '72 I think. But the legend and mystique were already tangible.

thwart
08-05-2018, 08:29 AM
Grew up near Green Bay, and Mr. Kramer spoke at one of the annual athletic banquets at our high school, probably 1970 or '71.

I remember it being an amazing speech. Very inspirational.

Well deserved induction into the Hall of Fame.

makoti
08-05-2018, 02:32 PM
How the hell was he not in the hall?

marciero
08-05-2018, 04:36 PM
How the hell was he not in the hall?

This video asks that very question. Also some great footage- the Ice Bowl, "the Block", Lombardi, etc.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htLpCAJ0AX4

arimajol
08-05-2018, 10:41 PM
Go pack!!