View Full Version : A new eBay scam

cnighbor1
08-04-2018, 11:40 AM
A new eBay scam
Here it is I got from an CR member
''
Scott Davis

Aug 3

It's bad enough that the Russians are interfering with elections, now a new Russian scam has surfaced on ebay.

Here's how it works: The Russian operatives purchase an item or items, pay with a paypal e-check and bounce the check. Since the check takes a few business days to clear, apparently, the scammers hope the seller will ship before it bounces.

Personally, I suspect Putin involvement. If special counsel Robert Mueller is a CR member, I hope he includes this in his investigation...
Fortunately, I didn't ship the order, although it was packed and ready to go. This particular "maggot-nik" purchased 2 items for about $500. The buyer id is:

nichbeg24
nichola...@kate-usa.info

If you google
"kate-usa.info"

Зарегистрирован в REG.RU
it leads right to Moscow.

I'm sure the Kremlin will not use this ebay id again, as I left 2 scam alert feedbacks. However, some seller may have shipped too soon and been scammed. And the scammers surely will generate new buyer IDs.
FYI: Delivery address was a foreclosed property in Florida, USA.
--

Scott Davis, Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
www.sexyracebicycles.blogspot.com

OtayBW
08-04-2018, 11:49 AM
I'm not sure that I understand the relevance or the rationale for posting this here.....

avalonracing
08-04-2018, 11:50 AM
"FYI: Delivery address was a foreclosed property in Florida, USA."

Mar-a-Lago?

Bruce K
08-04-2018, 12:11 PM
Easy guys

If this is a real scam - thanks for the warning

If this is “pot stirring” - please stop now

BK

jtakeda
08-04-2018, 12:18 PM
This is indeed a real scam..at least the e-check part.

The corresponding narrative appears to be a poor attempt at political humor. Nonetheless that scam is incredibly old.

But like all good things, what’s old is new again.

The other eBay scam to look out for is the classic buy a high price item and claim it was damaged in shipping in hopes the seller (us) didn’t purchase insurance.
Happened to me with a very expensive camera and the buyer refused to send evidence of damage. Long story short I got my money but it was tied up in PayPal for 2 months.

Tony T
08-04-2018, 01:12 PM
How is this scam limited to Russia?
Wouldn't it be a good idea to wait for a check to clear from anyone before shipping?
For someone buying on ebay, isn't easier for a scammer to get the payment and then just not ship the item?

And I really don't understand the scam. The item is shipped to a foreclosed property in Florida, USA, and then what? Russian operatives go to Florida and pick up the item?

Sounds more like someone in Florida is trying to blame Putin for the scam. :)

zmudshark
08-04-2018, 01:31 PM
This is a real scam. Charles is on the CR list, and relayed the experiences of a long time, trusted member there.

Thanks, Charles!

zmudshark
08-04-2018, 01:32 PM
How is this scam limited to Russia?
Wouldn't it be a good idea to wait for a check to clear from anyone before shipping?
For someone buying on ebay, isn't easier for a scammer to get the payment and then just not ship the item?

And I really don't understand the scam. The item is shipped to a foreclosed property in Florida, USA, and then what? Russian operatives go to Florida and pick up the item?

Sounds more like someone in Florida is trying to blame Putin for the scam. :)

Nope. They have tracking #'s and wait for the package. Russian mob is everywhere.

Tony T
08-04-2018, 01:52 PM
Still, they then have to re-sell the merchandise.
This scam seems more like an individual scam, not a Russian organized crime one.
How is it not easier to post a sale, take the money and not ship the item?

In any event, no matter who the sale it to, its a good idea to wait for the check to clear before shipping.

Waldo
08-04-2018, 06:35 PM
Yet another piece of excellent original content from Mr. Nighbor

Saxon
08-04-2018, 06:39 PM
When you get a payment with an e-check, eBay warns you to wait until the check clears before shipping. Pretty much common sense. The biggest issue I have now is with people complaining about everything and anything they receive and asking for a "price adjustment" or they'll send the item back.

unterhausen
08-04-2018, 08:49 PM
isn't having a check clear pretty much a non-deterministic thing? As in, they tell you to wait 5 days and no news is good news.

Tony T
08-05-2018, 07:17 AM
isn't having a check clear pretty much a non-deterministic thing? As in, they tell you to wait 5 days and no news is good news.

In olden days it depended on where the bank was located (i.e. a bank located 10 states away tool longer than one 2 states away as the check had to physically make it to that bank). Not sure about modern clearing.

ultraman6970
08-05-2018, 05:44 PM
If somebody pays with a check even from Paypal, you have to be nuts to send the item right away.