PDA

View Full Version : Fall/Winter training intensity

jeffg
10-30-2006, 05:43 AM
Background:

Have been putting in 100+ hour work weeks lately leading to too little family time (not to mention little to no riding) and have obviously lost some fitness and sanity.

Among other things, I am wondering how to train to the extent I have the time. I want to be at my best in late April, so I was thinking base through January and then an 10 week build (including tapering).

The thing that has me a bit confused is how to adjust workouts to the loss in fitness. I was hoping to do lots of cadence work, some big gear repeats and lots of tempo over the winter. I just did a tempo interval lasting 1:10, but it was a lot harder than I am used to for that intensity, so much so that another 20 minute interval had me almost redlining to keep the same intensity by the end.

My trainer putatively has relatively accurate power readings, so I know I am working harder to maintain roughly the same power. I realize the longer I ride indoors cardiac drift becomes a major issue even with a fan and plenty of fluids, but most of it likely being out of shape. Any thoughts on whether I should shorten the intervals and build back, or whether HR is irrelevant and I should stick to power and only quit when the power drops too much?

stevep
10-30-2006, 06:18 AM
100 hour work week in germany?
i thought everyone over there worked 20 hrs a month, no?
you must be the last guy at work in the volkswagen factory.
you cant train with a schedule like that. just go and ride.

Climb01742
10-30-2006, 07:59 AM
jeff, i think you also need to consider your sanity, as in preserving it. i haven't been putting in 100 hour weeks but lately i've been working a lot, and working under considerable headlines and stress. while trying to maintain my training_and_doing pretty intense rehab work. my system crashed this weekend. i'm sick like dog yet i had to work all week and even, insanely, stupidly, rode for an hour in the pouring rain saturday. there just comes a point where we need to say no mas. if work is 100+ hours, dude, either ride easily, sparingly, or just say today i can't. i wish i had. something has to give, at some point. you can only do what you can. pick up your training once work calms down.