PDA

View Full Version : WallKill and O&W trail

Dsteiker
08-02-2018, 04:12 PM
Anyone have experience on these trails in the New Paltz NY area? Do you think a road bike with Gravel King 28c would be ok? Using Caliper brakes

thanks

fiamme red
08-02-2018, 04:28 PM
I ride them on 28 mm tires without any problems. I do have to dismount for a steep descent and climb on the O&W between Cottekill Rd and Leggett Rd in High Falls, where there used to be a railroad bridge. Otherwise the trails are flat.

The O&W trail has sections with bumpy roots, while the Walkill Valley trail is for the most part pretty smooth.

Dsteiker
08-06-2018, 01:05 PM
Thanks, we had a great ride on the trails yesterday. My buddy had 28s, just had a rash of pinch flats. Think if they were setup tubeless he would have been fine.

Tony T
08-07-2018, 08:04 AM
I've done half the trail (Wallkill to New Paltz) on my road bike with 25c
It's an ok ride, but there's much better road riding in the area, and there's also trails in Minnewaska state park.

Dsteiker
08-07-2018, 08:20 AM
I've done half the trail (Wallkill to New Paltz) on my road bike with 25c
It's an ok ride, but there's much better road riding in the area, and there's also trails in Minnewaska state park.

Road riding is beautiful there, this turned into more of an adventure type ride. Started in Walden, took the Wallkill trail to new Patlz, went up and over Mohonk and linked up to the O&W trail to Kingston and then took the Wallkill trail all the way back. The pavement portion had some beautiful roads. Next time may add Minnewaska into the loop.

Here is the course if interested

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/28206808

YoKev
08-07-2018, 08:46 AM
Nice loop. And yea, the O&W is a bit more primitive in some spots as you found out.

I live in Kingston and regularly link the O&W to Wallkill Valley by a couple of different means.

Dsteiker
08-07-2018, 01:12 PM
Nice loop. And yea, the O&W is a bit more primitive in some spots as you found out.

I live in Kingston and regularly link the O&W to Wallkill Valley by a couple of different means.

Thanks, it sure was. But opens up to nice dirt paths.

R3awak3n
08-07-2018, 01:44 PM

you have any good gravel rides around kingston area? I am in Saugerties.

Have done the mentioned trails and they were ok but craving a bit more.

YoKev
08-07-2018, 01:53 PM
you have any good gravel rides around kingston area? I am in Saugerties.

Have done the mentioned trails and they were ok but craving a bit more.

small world :)

The Wallkill Valley trail will get you to Mohonk and/or Minnewaska. Miles and miles of gravel fire roads if you haven't checked it out yet.

R3awak3n
08-07-2018, 02:51 PM
small world :)

The Wallkill Valley trail will get you to Mohonk and/or Minnewaska. Miles and miles of gravel fire roads if you haven't checked it out yet.

Yeah I have taken it to Mohonk, was hoping for some locals only trails :) Mohonk is cool but in summer is full of people (unless I don't know the right places)

fiamme red
11-30-2018, 09:48 AM
Has anyone here ridden this new trail yet?

https://www.openspaceinstitute.org/places/river-to-ridge-trail

velofinds
11-30-2018, 10:29 AM
That's excellent! Riding in that area just got more family-friendly.

Tony T
11-30-2018, 10:38 AM

Haven't ridden it, but this loop is only a 6 mile loop (good for a hike/walk), but as it connects to Mohonk, it's a good place to park. The trailhead is at the bridge at New Paltz. There's a lot of good Restaurants / Bars in New Paltz (its a college town — SUNY), so good place to start, have a great ride to Mohonk, then end the day with some good food and drink.

MagicHour
11-30-2018, 10:46 AM
Been awhile but you'll be fine with 28s GKs - I've ridden here a couple times on 700x25 Rubinos not ideal but doable.

Anyone have experience on these trails in the New Paltz NY area? Do you think a road bike with Gravel King 28c would be ok? Using Caliper brakes

thanks

YoKev
11-30-2018, 11:14 AM

Yes, it's beautiful.

fiamme red
11-30-2018, 11:19 AM
Yes, it's beautiful.Thanks! I'm excited to ride it soon!

What's the surface like? I don't want to go the day after a rain and find that it's all mud.

YoKev
11-30-2018, 11:24 AM
Thanks! I'm excited to ride it soon!

The connector from the parking lot to New Paltz gets flooded when the Wallkill goes over the banks.

The view from the trail to the ridge is spectacular. You'll know it when you see it.

Then, you're right at Mohonks door step (Pine Lane). I usually head up to Duck Pond first then climb climb climb :)

efixler
11-30-2018, 02:47 PM
I'm in Rhinecliff and totally up for riding these spots with y'all.

efixler
11-30-2018, 02:49 PM
I usually head up to Duck Pond first then climb climb climb :)

That ride is sooooo fun. I recently did it with a few guys, up in the light, down in the dark, it was crazy.