PDA

View Full Version : new Zwift course: Innsbruck

sparky33
08-02-2018, 03:05 PM
Has anyone ridden it yet? Opinions and witty banter please.

I just read about the new Zwift Innsbruck course. It seems to be a flat area joined to a big climb and not overly long. While I don't ride inside much this time of year, it is blazing hot and ridiculously humid outside, so I have a good excuse to give this new course a go.

ergott
08-02-2018, 03:48 PM
Not yet. My garage is a furnace in this weather. Looking forward to getting back on Zwift and by then this course and soon the NY course will be some nice variety.

saab2000
08-02-2018, 04:17 PM
Is this the same course they'll be using for the World Championships this fall? I am planning to attend and it would be cool if it's the same course on Zwift. Also looking forward to doing more Zwift this fall and winter.

makoti
08-02-2018, 04:17 PM
Just rode the Short course today. But..I was doing a workout, so didn't get the real feel. It was nice. There are cars! On a different road then you are on, but still.
The only thing I can see not liking is (big surprise since it's Austria, supposedly) there are no flat routes to speak of. On my ride today, 1400ft of climbing in 7 miles. Again, makes sense but if they run Innsbruck for 4 days straight, that leaves you with very little variety.
Perhaps the "choose your world" option (without hacking) is on its way, too.
Yes, it is labeled as the WC course.

kramnnim
08-02-2018, 04:47 PM
The real course starts with a lead in to this Zwift loop, and finished on another road not included in the Zwift loop. Something like...

[lead in road]->[7 laps of the Zwift course]->[stretch of road not part of the Zwift course]

The hill is...most similar to the medium Watopia mountain, without the tower. Around 20 minutes at 4w/kg. The backside is steeper/shorter than the front side.

The lead in to the hill is flat. It's flat after the descent, until you get to a steep lump, similar to the original Watopia KOM forward hill, maybe a bit shorter.

If you pick to only ride the flat course, you have to climb that steep lump every lap. Not very flat compared to the other flat courses.

kramnnim
08-02-2018, 06:54 PM
Ok, I exaggerated. The hill on the flat course is not as big as the old Watopia Hilly kom. About a minute of 5w/kg.

ergott
08-02-2018, 07:06 PM
I come to Zwift for the elevation I don't get locally. I can always use ERG mode if I don't want climbing for days.

makoti
08-02-2018, 07:18 PM
I come to Zwift for the elevation I don't get locally. I can always use ERG mode if I don't want climbing for days.

Since I usually use workout mode, I do that all the time. HOWEVER... it gets annoying to watch myself moving at 4mph because I'm on an easy day and all there is are hilly choices.

93KgBike
08-02-2018, 10:57 PM
Ok, I exaggerated. The hill on the flat course is not as big as the old Watopia Hilly kom. About a minute of 5w/kg.

Now you are just bragging. ;).

cash05458
08-03-2018, 01:10 PM
I found the long climb a brute...it takes awhile...but then I am outta shape...cool course tho...the little one inside the town is 400 meters or so I think and that will wear you out abit...the details on the course and look are pretty amazing if you already dig Zwift...

echappist
08-03-2018, 08:10 PM
I wish there were a real flat circuit around town. I prefer to do my intervals on flat roads, and having a steep kick like that really messes with pacing. Of course, I could just put it all in erg mode, but it's quite restrictive, and erg mode is a real chore when I can't hit the watts, and the machine just ups the resistance to a ridiculous level...

Tried the course on a supposed group ride: people went berserk over it, and the group just continuously got whittled down. I let a 1-second gap open, and despite hammering at 400W for a minute, just couldn't close it down. The game's drafting dynamics is really messed up...

Would have been fun in a race, but not in a group ride...

Looking forward to the NYC course

scharny
10-24-2018, 09:48 AM
The NYC course is meh, but still better than Richmond. i vote that the next course have a post-apocalyptic theme (they could call the world "Chernobyl") and include zombies jumping out of bushes and trees in front of riders. THAT would grab my attention.

echappist
10-24-2018, 10:29 AM
The NYC course is meh, but still better than Richmond. i vote that the next course have a post-apocalyptic theme (they could call the world "Chernobyl") and include zombies jumping out of bushes and trees in front of riders. THAT would grab my attention.

did Richmond pay Zwift or was it the other way? I do agree it's totally meh, as one can't even turn around on that course.

NYC has potential though. Just waiting for them to add Bear Mt and Harriman

ergott
10-24-2018, 11:02 AM
I'm probably impartial, but I like NYC. It's a tough course to be fast on with the rollers and small, punchy climbs. Yesterday's Highline stage was hard!

gary_a_gooner
10-24-2018, 01:05 PM
I did "one lap" of the Zwift CP NYC course. I've done the actual Harlem Hill over 800 times (sad, I know) and it was never has hard or long as the Zwift course.

Then my brand new Kickr crapped the eff out. Replacement is in the process.

makoti
10-24-2018, 01:06 PM

I disagree. I think NY is probably the best one yet. Roads are much more rolling & more like the stuff I ride normally, so riding seems most "real" of the offerings. I did 50 miles on one of the loops (Astoria) Sunday, so if I can handle that much time on a trainer, it must be good at distracting me.

echappist
10-24-2018, 01:31 PM
I did "one lap" of the Zwift CP NYC course. I've done the actual Harlem Hill over 800 times (sad, I know) and it was never has hard or long as the Zwift course.

Then my brand new Kickr crapped the eff out. Replacement is in the process.

look on the bright side, no squirrels and tourists :)

the hills are just a touch steeper than they are in real life (1-1.5%) They would corresponding appear to be longer (temporally), but are the same in distance.

PS. I think i've actually got your 800 times beat. 360x in one year, according to Strava, except i've done similar in the two other years. @thegunner has all of us beat though. I think he's done 50 miles solely from the Harlem loop.

ergott
10-24-2018, 01:40 PM
Here's a comparison of the west side. Zwift on top, IRL below.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Other/Randoms/i-mVLh9Sj/0/f7b1ddf6/X2/Profile%20Comparison%20CP%20West%20Side-X2.jpg

sparky33
10-24-2018, 01:49 PM
I like it too. No massive climb but lots of smaller terrain variation that makes the loops...more athletic. Zwift NY is challenging and engaging, which is the whole point. The futuristic fictional embellishments are fun too.

Stage 1 Tour of NY took me by surprise in that the first 1/3 of the event distance wasn't in summary, and the rolling terrain proved to be more than I had expected (I expected flatter), but I'm glad I rolled out of bed early to do it even if I burned my matches too quickly.

I think NY is probably the best one yet. Roads are much more rolling & more like the stuff I ride normally, so riding seems most "real" of the offerings. I did 50 miles on one of the loops (Astoria) Sunday, so if I can handle that much time on a trainer, it must be good at distracting me.

ergott
10-24-2018, 02:35 PM
Stage 1 Tour of NY took me by surprise in that the first 1/3 of the event distance wasn't in summary, and the rolling terrain proved to be more than I had expected (I expected flatter), but I'm glad I rolled out of bed early to do it even if I burned my matches too quickly.

Yeah that was a shocker! I kept seeing "Lead In" at the beginning and realized there are 3 trips up the KOM. I left the gates way too hard, but still got a decent finish.