PDA

View Full Version : Question - Premium Shorts

Rpoole8537
08-02-2018, 11:35 AM
Who will have premium shorts on sale near the end of the season? I like to wear shorts instead of bibs in the summer in the deep south. They are just cooler. I thought someone would know of upcoming sales. Thanks

mktng
08-02-2018, 11:41 AM
https://www.theblackbibs.com/shop/namesake-bibs-tdsas

rnhood
08-02-2018, 12:28 PM
https://www.theblackbibs.com/shop/namesake-bibs-tdsas

That's a good price and, I might try one. Hard to pass up.

I have been wearing Giordana Silverline shorts and really like them. They have a slightly thicker pad, and a bit wider mid section. It suits me well.

But at $30.....I need to try one of these.

I have never warmed up to bibs, nor seen any advantage. I guess depending on weight and anatomy, the waist might roll but, I'm not overweight. Shorts have always worked perfectly for me.

avalonracing
08-02-2018, 12:42 PM
I'm also a shorts guy even though my friends don't get it. I don't get bibs. Why had more fabric over my chest when it is hot outside? If you have a gut and don't like the waistband cutting into your gut (like some of them do) I understand, but I don't have that issue as I don't have a beer gut. As for shorts I've had very expensive ones and very cheap ones (and everyone has different results) but I really like these reasonably-priced shorts. The padding is good and not too thick/thin/wide/narrow, they come up high enough in the back without being too high and they aren't too long or too short. (I'm 6'0 165lbs with a 32" waist and I wear a medium in these) https://garneau.com/us/en/optimum-cycling-shorts/color/black-60

jlwdm
08-02-2018, 01:39 PM
Bibs are not a gut issue. Best example is the TDF Peloton - all bibs and no beer guts.

Jeff

fiamme red
08-02-2018, 01:47 PM
Voler usually has one or two of their shorts on sale. I've been happy with them for a long time. I too have never made the conversion to bibs.

A friend gets his shorts from Aero Tech (https://www.aerotechdesigns.com/roadbikeshorts.html) and likes them a lot.

jtbadge
08-02-2018, 01:50 PM
Seeing one sunburn across a back from a gap between shorts and a jersey was enough to get me on bibs forever.

avalonracing
08-02-2018, 02:08 PM
Bibs are not a gut issue. Best example is the TDF Peloton - all bibs and no beer guts.

Jeff

Yeah, but none of those TdF guys have broad shoulders or a V-shaped back. Like me... and Superman.

beeatnik
08-02-2018, 02:37 PM
That's a good price and, I might try one. Hard to pass up.

I have been wearing Giordana Silverline shorts and really like them. They have a slightly thicker pad, and a bit wider mid section. It suits me well.

But at $30.....I need to try one of these.

I have never warmed up to bibs, nor seen any advantage. I guess depending on weight and anatomy, the waist might roll but, I'm not overweight. Shorts have always worked perfectly for me.

whoa, I thought I logged on to Paceline :confused:

ptourkin
08-02-2018, 02:38 PM

I guess it's impossible to get banned.

Ralph
08-02-2018, 04:03 PM
I also am awaiting a shorts sale from Aero Tech. Got on their E mailing list to be alerted. Some of my friends use their shorts, and think they are great....especially if a $49 sale comes along for their top product.

wc1934
08-02-2018, 04:38 PM
I guess it's impossible to get banned.

careful - you are treading on thin ice - hahaha

azrider
08-02-2018, 05:12 PM
Seeing one sunburn across a back from a gap between shorts and a jersey was enough to get me on bibs forever.

This :p

Big Dan
08-02-2018, 05:14 PM
$30.00 bucks ?
Don't do that to your nuts.
Take care of your stuff.

:eek:

avalonracing
08-02-2018, 05:20 PM

That sounds like an ill-fitting kit. It is never cool to show off one's tramp stamp area.

David Tollefson
08-03-2018, 07:45 AM

You riding with a bunch of triathletes or something?

one60
08-03-2018, 12:15 PM
Galibier is a UK brand that makes excellent, well priced kit. I have a jersey and the classic bibs and they have proven to be my favorites. More expensive than blackbibs but easily 3x the quality (and I like the blackbibs I have). They carry non-bib shorts. Be sure to message them regarding sizing, they are very helpful and have great customer service.

ntkt10
08-03-2018, 12:21 PM
Have these shorts guys ever worn bibs?

Try a pair, you'll thank yourself later. The entire upper is lightweight material, not the same materials as the thigh.

avalonracing
08-03-2018, 01:00 PM
Have these shorts guys ever worn bibs?

Try a pair, you'll thank yourself later. The entire upper is lightweight material, not the same materials as the thigh.

Yes. Have you ever worn shorts? Please tell me why you think extra fabric on your upper body and straps over your shoulders is a superior way to support your shorts than a thin band of elastic in the waist?

It is hot and humid as hell in Maryland and the less fabric I have on me the better. Not to mention I've experienced the hell of "natural breaks" before races in port-a-johns while wearing a skinsuit. For this reason alone, shorts rule.

false_Aest
08-03-2018, 01:05 PM

bwahahahahhaha!

jtbadge
08-03-2018, 01:06 PM
You riding with a bunch of triathletes or something?

Nah, they were "groaders."

fiamme red
08-03-2018, 01:12 PM
Some people have tried both bibs and shorts and simply prefer the latter: https://www.bikeradar.com/us/road/gear/article/cycling-bibs-vs-shorts-51258/.

avalonracing
08-03-2018, 01:33 PM
Some people have tried both bibs and shorts and simply prefer the latter: https://www.bikeradar.com/us/road/gear/article/cycling-bibs-vs-shorts-51258/.

Well said.

Likes2ridefar
08-03-2018, 01:42 PM
$30.00 bucks ?
Don't do that to your nuts.
Take care of your stuff.

:eek:

I commute in the bib version every day. They work perfectly fine for my two 40min rides...

brockd15
08-03-2018, 03:31 PM

Ha, love that article. I'm good with shorts or bibs and have mostly bibs now. If I had to pick only one it'd probably be shorts. I've never had an issue with a chamois moving or anything else with shorts, but the contortion needed at bathroom breaks with (some) bibs is a big, legit downside.

Also, the Galibier gear mentioned earlier looks pretty nice, thanks for that.

beeatnik
08-04-2018, 05:31 PM
bwahahahahhaha!

I think I took a time machine to 1971.

Seramount
08-04-2018, 05:45 PM
+1 for Aerotech shorts. knocked out 61 miles this morning wearing them in hot, humid conditions with no discomfort.

have never had any desire to try bibs. shorts work perfectly for me...

Drmojo
08-05-2018, 02:33 PM
seems a lot of the randos here like Boure
as do I for shorts
and they come in solid colors red blue etc
with no LOGO
I have tried many brands of bibs and my current fave is Danny Shane

weisan
08-05-2018, 03:22 PM
knocked out 61 miles this morning

Sera pal, you did 61 miles??!!!

Ok, I am calling your agent. We need to talk.