PDA

View Full Version : Valuation of 20- 40 year old steel bikes

alancw3
08-01-2018, 12:06 PM
is it me or are these two bikes listed at wishful thinking unrealistic asking prices? recent psa's for the chance and the masi:

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=225675

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=225663

very nice that forum members psa'd them and great examples of fine older steel bikes but i just do not see how the owners can reasonably think they will get those prices. i was thinking more in the range of $1000-$1200. forget that they are both very large size which also limits marketability. i really like the chance but i would be hard pressed to offer anything more. just trying to see if it is me or the sellers?

thanks for any thoughts.

arimajol
08-01-2018, 12:17 PM
These are very optimistic prices. I'd think half of that would be realistic, based on what I've sold. Old bikes high end bikes are great for buyers, not so much for sellers.

paredown
08-01-2018, 12:22 PM
These are very optimistic prices. I'd think half of that would be realistic, based on what I've sold. Old bikes high end bikes are great for buyers, not so much for sellers.

Agreed. The Masi is a repaint (by good painter), but that limits its collectability IMO.

And although Christ Chance is a good builder, I don't think the cult following is there, although I could be wrong...

El Chaba
08-01-2018, 12:22 PM
I don't know anything about the value of a Chris Chance, but the Masi is quite collectible and fairly priced IMHO....

cribbit
08-01-2018, 12:28 PM
As soon as "collectability" comes into the equation all logic goes out the window. Unless you actually have desire to collect, stay far away.

bfd
08-01-2018, 12:37 PM
I don't know anything about the value of a Chris Chance, but the Masi is quite collectible and fairly priced IMHO....

Was Confente the only builder during the "Confente years" period? If not, is there a way to prove that Mario actually built that frame?

If so, then it would probably be worth what is being asked. A true Confente frame can really command a high price as only something like 135 were ever made. So you will find Confente framesets going for like $8000 or more.

One thing about US made Masi is there were a number of builder including: Mario Confente, Brian Baylis, Jim Cunningham, Mike Howard, Gian Simonetti, Joe Starck, David Tesch and Albert Eisentraut. There may have been other builders too.

Chris Chance, he's one of the top builders on the New England Framebuilder trees:

link: http://www.anglesandpoise.com/2012/new-england-bicycle-bloodline/

http://www.anglesandpoise.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/new_england_bicycle_bloodline_-2012_600_05.jpg

Good Luck!

Ozz
08-01-2018, 12:37 PM
the real question is: can you retrofit them for disc brakes?

just kidding.......:rolleyes:

peanutgallery
08-01-2018, 12:38 PM
No value in a 60cm frame of that vintage

zmudshark
08-01-2018, 12:42 PM
I think the Chance is somewhat rare. I'm not sure how many were made. I passed on a fillet brazed one a few years ago, because it had a huge dent in the top tube.:eek:

cribbit
08-01-2018, 12:48 PM
Was Confente the only builder during the "Confente years" period? If not, is there a way to prove that Mario actually built that frame?

If so, then it would probably be worth what is being asked. A true Confente frame can really command a high price as only something like 135 were ever made. So you will find Confente framesets going for like $8000 or more.

One thing about US made Masi is there were a number of builder including: Mario Confente, Brian Baylis, Jim Cunningham, Mike Howard, Gian Simonetti, Joe Starck, David Tesch and Albert Eisentraut. There may have been other builders too.

Chris Chance, he's one of the top builders on the New England Framebuilder trees:

link: http://www.anglesandpoise.com/2012/new-england-bicycle-bloodline/

CHART

Good Luck!

That's a really cool chart! I've been thinking about making a similar chart for just titanium builders - know of any existing charts?

jtbadge
08-01-2018, 12:51 PM
The vast majority of PSAs posted recently have been dramatically overpriced. Kind of defeats the purpose, IMO.

cmbicycles
08-01-2018, 01:16 PM
If you think the Chance is unrealistic, when it was first listed a year or more ago, was something like $3900. Unmotivated seller thinking, "well its kind of rare so if I can get a premium price, why not try?" No harm in keeping it and enjoying it if it doesn't sell... I'd guess that is the mindset.
Not all PSA's are, or need to be, because it is a smoking deal, some are just rare bikes that are fun to see.

Waldo
08-01-2018, 01:41 PM
If I didn't have a 1975 Masi GC in that size, I'd be tempted, assuming I could knock 10% off the asking price. I did the 90-mile Eroica California on my Masi in April and it was great on pavement and 25 miles of dirt. I also have a TIG Chance from a half-dozen years later than this lugged frame, and mine rides great. If this lugged Chance's top tube were a centimeter shorter, I'd try to see if I could make a deal for it.

Both are great and rare bikes that aren't made anymore. I'd say if you have the means, pull the trigger.

PeregrineA1
08-01-2018, 02:17 PM
As an accumulator of bikes from this era I’d say they are both optimistic. Mine are all 57.5-59 cm, so a slightly more marketable size. My Masi is 100% original and if I could get near $2k, I’d probably take it. This one with a repaint is a ~$1,200 bike on a great day.

The Chance is not as far off in my mind. Early example, Baylis paint, nice big hurt by size. Say $1,500-1,600 on a good day.

Just need the right buyer. If the Chance was smaller and the Bike fund wasn’t depleted, I might be the right buyer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

providence
08-01-2018, 03:06 PM
A clean (albeit repaint) twin plate Masi will not be cheap. Regardless of size. I’d love to see an example of one selling for ~1k.

That’s a member’s bike and if I wouldn’t have a kitchen reno and landscaping project going on at the same time I would have bought it already. Even with the vintage market going south.

steveandbarb1
08-01-2018, 03:15 PM
The Chance is one nice frame, I had a friend that got a custom from him same timeframe, beautifully made. He was a true custom builder before turned operation into FAT and Tig welds. Pretty sure the lugs are silver soldered.

Value, pass on that question

smontanaro
08-02-2018, 07:09 AM
The vast majority of PSAs posted recently have been dramatically overpriced. Kind of defeats the purpose, IMO.Not necessarily. People make offers, and sellers bring down their prices. The Chance started at $2200 and is now down to $2100. That's not much of a drop, but is headed in the probably correct direction. (It is my size, and Chris Chance is better known for his Fat Chance bikes. I don't think he made all that many road frames. That classifies the bike for me as "somewhat obscure American builder," for which I have a soft spot.)

The other thing to consider is for much of this stuff there isn't much pricing history to guide a seller on asking price. Rather than give the bike away, I suspect many prefer to start high, then reduce price to find the right selling price.

alancw3
08-02-2018, 07:55 AM
The other thing to consider is for much of this stuff there isn't much pricing history to guide a seller on asking price. Rather than give the bike away, I suspect many prefer to start high, then reduce price to find the right selling price.

correct. size and material have a significant effect on what a bike is worth in todays marketplace.

thanks for all of the responses. kind of reenforces the value i thought these bikes were worth. i just didn't want to make an offer that the seller thought ridiculous. after all anything is only worth what a really, willing and able buyer is going to pay.

jr59
08-02-2018, 07:59 AM
It takes the right person who is the correct size to value these bikes.

If I was healthy enough to enjoy them, they would already be sold. To me, they are both rare and collectible.

PBWrench
08-02-2018, 08:45 AM
I have a 40 year old Raleigh Pro in excellent condition and when I moved from suburban MPLS to an Upper West Side apartment two years ago, I thought of selling it and thought $2K was a reasonable price. Buyers didn't agree and offered no more than half of that and I decided not to sell. I agree with previous posts - I believe that seller's emotional attachment and passion for nostalgia generally exceeds market value.

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=176985

zmudshark
08-02-2018, 10:26 AM
I went to an estate sale this AM. They had a 1972 Colnago listed. I knew it was more like early 80's. It was a 1984 Super, with good Campagnolo Record components. The chrome forks were pitted, and there were scrapes on the top tube. They had a $1000 price tag on it. Someone bought it for $900. He said he was going to flip it.

I don't think there was much meat on the bone, considering the clean up required for a top dollar sale. The wheels were so - so clinchers, rusty eyelets.