PDA

View Full Version : Touring cyclists killed in terrorist attack, including 2 Americans

AngryScientist
07-30-2018, 05:14 PM
this is a terrible story, and the first i can think of where terrorists targeted the vulnerability of touring cyclists.

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/2-american-cyclists-among-4-dead-possible-terror-184007810--abc-news-topstories.html

joosttx
07-30-2018, 05:17 PM
it is never good when terrorists attack. my heart goes out to the families affected.

gasman
07-30-2018, 06:46 PM
That’s really sad for their family. I can’t imagine anything worse.

Don’t look at the comments section on Yahoo-it shows the worst part of the Internet

Scuzzer
07-30-2018, 07:05 PM
Yeah, comments are always stupid. As a terrrorist act this seems pretty lame, I think I'll wait for more info.

ColonelJLloyd
07-30-2018, 07:26 PM
As a terrrorist act this seems pretty lame...

Qualifying any terrorist act or organization has little more than academic value. Not that I don't get what you're trying to say.

Senseless and cruel. I feel for the families of those affected.

gemship
07-30-2018, 07:31 PM
This is a sad world we live in, sometimes. In order to live in the US one must appreciate that to be here with our privilige of first world problems comes with a price. We're hated in vast parts of world and not safe places to be.

Scuzzer
07-30-2018, 10:11 PM
Qualifying any terrorist act or organization has little more than academic value. Not that I don't get what you're trying to say.

Senseless and cruel. I feel for the families of those affected.

I guess I should have said this looks more like a random robbery than a planned terrorist attack. I'm not trying to diminish any sympathy for the victims, it just seems like a diminished ISIS taking credit for something. That's the info I'll be waiting for.

The fact that these folks died is horrific regardless of the motives.

Scuzzer
07-30-2018, 10:13 PM
We're hated in vast parts of world and not safe places to be.

Were the Dutch and Suisse victims hated as well or should we just pile this all on the US since we suck so bad? Could they possibly tell Dutch, Swiss, and Americans apart without looking at ID?

Jaybee
07-30-2018, 10:55 PM
I guess I should have said this looks more like a random robbery than a planned terrorist attack. I'm not trying to diminish any sympathy for the victims, it just seems like a diminished ISIS taking credit for something. That's the info I'll be waiting for.

The fact that these folks died is horrific regardless of the motives.

ISIL has a long history of claiming credit for things that the evidence suggests they really had nothing to do with. For example, the Toronto shooting last week. I guess it comes down to what you define as terrorism with respect to ISIL's decentralized model.

Rukmini Callimichi is, IME, usually the best read on ISIL (https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/30/world/asia/tajikistan-attack-cylists.html).

As others have already said, not terribly important to those who lost loved ones.

Scuzzer
07-31-2018, 12:47 AM
That's exactly what I meant. Maybe I'm accidentally speaking french.

On a side note, when I told my wife about this story she pulled the knee jerk "why would you ride there?" line. When I looked at their route I thought that would be a great place to ride. Sometimes you just can't explain it.

oldpotatoe
07-31-2018, 07:25 AM
Were the Dutch and Suisse victims hated as well or should we just pile this all on the US since we suck so bad? Could they possibly tell Dutch, Swiss, and Americans apart without looking at ID?

I really feel for the friends and families of those who died but I don't think this is a nationality issue and it sounds more like bandits then terrorists. I applaud these cyclo-tourists for riding in a challenging environment but NOT the safest place to be these days.

redir
07-31-2018, 07:36 AM
Those countries are incredibly beautiful and I can see the allure that traveling to them would have but it's probably best to stay away from the *Stan's.

In any case it it seems more of a robbery that IS snapped up as their own. I guess if there are more in the future then it would confirm one way or the other.

The authorities there certainly don't waste much time in the court systems.

Mustangski
07-31-2018, 08:02 AM
I was following an American couple, Lauren and Jay, riding around the world. Their last email had them in Kyrgyzstan with Tajikistan listed as “coming soon” in their blog.

Haven’t seen an email from their trip since July 12, hope it’s not them but the site lists a male/female killed.

http://www.simplycycling.org/blog

The blog was interesting and worth a look, I hope this wasn’t them but there are too many similarities and in such a remote/odd place for Americans to cycle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drewski
07-31-2018, 09:14 AM
http://www.nationmaster.com/country-info/compare/Tajikistan/United-States/Crime

I am not an expert on global security. If you look at the numbers this incident appears to be an anomaly. I thi Would I go cycling in Tajikistan. Based on the drug cartels that run in and out of Afghanistan and T-Stan. Hell no!!!

Our country is #9 in the world in murders. In speaks to the social problems we have in the US.

Violent crime > Gun crime > Guns per 100 residents 1
Ranked 147th. 88.8
Ranked 1st. 89 times more than Tajikistan
Violent crime > Intentional homicide rate 1.76
Ranked 68th. 4.7
Ranked 7th. 3 times more than Tajikistan

Violent crime > Murder rate 143
Ranked 51st. 12,996
Ranked 9th. 91 times more than Tajikistan

Violent crime > Murder rate per million people 18.75
Ranked 59th. 42.01
Ranked 43th. 2 times more than Tajikistan

Violent crime > Murders 143
Ranked 51st. 12,996
Ranked 9th. 91 times more than Tajikistan

Violent crime > Murders per million people 18.75
Ranked 59th. 42.01
Ranked 43th. 2 times more than Tajikistan

Violent crime > Rapes 36
Ranked 68th. 84,767
Ranked 1st. 2355 times more than Tajikistan

Violent crime > Rapes per million people 4.83
Ranked 73th. 274.04
Ranked 9th. 57 times more than Tajikistan

However, as a cyclist is it really hits home-the senseless nature of this is hard to comprehend. My heart goes out the victims, their friends and families.

OnceFast
07-31-2018, 12:21 PM
The stats on the US are overall averages. Eliminating known high risk areas would bring those numbers down considerably. I do agree that cycling in Tajikistan by choice is nuts.

ColonelJLloyd
07-31-2018, 12:27 PM
The stats on the US are overall averages. Eliminating known high risk areas would bring those numbers down considerably.

Fair point about statistics and how they are used or interpreted.

What are the known high risk areas for mass shootings in the USA?

rnhood
07-31-2018, 12:42 PM
Bike riding in any Arab country is asking for trouble nowadays. Often that trouble is murder.

Jaybee
07-31-2018, 12:48 PM
Bike riding in any Arab country is asking for trouble nowadays. Often that trouble is murder.

Do you think Tajikistan is an "Arab" country?

DRietz
07-31-2018, 12:51 PM

Neal, do you know what “Arab” means? Because you use the term pretty loosely, and it seems to me that you keep using it in a prejudiced way. I am pretty sure that Tajikistan is not considered an Arab country.

RonW87
07-31-2018, 12:51 PM
Tajikistan is mostly Muslim but not Arab. (Edit: DRietz beat me to it.)

dbrown
07-31-2018, 01:04 PM
[QUOTE=Mustangski;2403139]I was following an American couple, Lauren and Jay, riding around the world. Their last email had them in Kyrgyzstan with Tajikistan listed as “coming soon” in their blog.

Haven’t seen an email from their trip since July 12, hope it’s not them but the site lists a male/female killed.

The blog was interesting and worth a look, I hope this wasn’t them but there are too many similarities and in such a remote/odd place for Americans to cycle.

I just looked at their blog. The last two comments listed appear to be indicate ominous concerns from readers.

rwsaunders
07-31-2018, 01:33 PM
Struck by a car and then stabbed while the event was videotaped. Tragic for sure and the State Department only lists the country as a Level 1 travel risk...exercise normal precautions.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-45009816

Mustangski
07-31-2018, 01:47 PM
[QUOTE=Mustangski;2403139]I was following an American couple, Lauren and Jay, riding around the world. Their last email had them in Kyrgyzstan with Tajikistan listed as “coming soon” in their blog.

I just looked at their blog. The last two comments listed appear to be indicate ominous concerns from readers.

I just noticed those comments as well. Again, I hope it’s not them but feel it is. Hope to see another post pop up but not thinking it will.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rnhood
07-31-2018, 01:50 PM
Neal, do you know what “Arab” means? Because you use the term pretty loosely, and it seems to me that you keep using it in a prejudiced way. I am pretty sure that Tajikistan is not considered an Arab country.

Good point, and I should have said muslim (or islamic). Pictures in that place look really nice, but I would not even think about going there, or any muslim dominated country for that matter. Not right now anyway. When its safe again, assuming it will ever be, Egypt is first on my list because I had to pass on it back in '85 due to being short on time while in Israel.

fignon's barber
07-31-2018, 01:55 PM

I just looked at the Instagram page linked to the blog. It was them. It makes me sick to my stomach. Tragic.

fignon's barber
07-31-2018, 02:01 PM
Good point, and I should have said muslim (or islamic). Pictures in that place look really nice, but I would not even think about going there, or any muslim dominated country for that matter. Not right now anyway. When its safe again, assuming it will ever be, Egypt is first on my list because I had to pass on it back in '85 due to being short on time while in Israel.

It could be anywhere. Ever think of riding the Paris-Roubaix course? I was just reading an article on the city of Roubaix. Seven districts are now classified as "no go zones" by French police. The majority of the city is now overrun by radical islamists and considered too dangerous even for police.

Jaybee
07-31-2018, 02:08 PM
It could be anywhere. Ever think of riding the Paris-Roubaix course? I was just reading an article on the city of Roubaix. Seven districts are now classified as "no go zones" by French police. The majority of the city is now overrun by radical islamists and considered too dangerous even for police.

Link to the article? I'm curious.

BobO
07-31-2018, 02:09 PM

Do you have a citation on that? I have heard conflicting stories on the subject and I've been unable to find any original sources one way or the other.

Bruce K
07-31-2018, 02:15 PM
All right gang, this is getting really close to the edge (if not over) of unacceptable here.

Let’s try to focus on the facts of a sad situation.

Over the edge will result in “time outs” for those inclined to go there.

BK

DRietz
07-31-2018, 02:23 PM

Yeah, would love to see your source. What I can tell from all of my conversations about this issue with people in Belgium and France in the last month, “no-go zones” are a construct of the American media.

Sensitive urban zones, as they’re actually called, are neighborhoods that have been noted as in need of repair and development. The implications of gentrification aside, that seems a lot less sinister (and a lot more factual) than neighborhoods in which “police have lost control.”

I was in Roubaix for Stage 9 of the Tour, and a day trip. Spent a lot of time lost in little neighborhoods and I can’t really say I felt endangered (except by my driving).

AngryScientist
07-31-2018, 02:28 PM
c'mon folks.

some of the comments posted in this thread are unacceptable.

let's hold ourselves to a higher standard here.

William
07-31-2018, 04:34 PM
FYI, race baiting/racial stereotypical comments or images are not welcome or allowed on the Paceline.That said it also violates the forum rules. Some warnings and/or time outs to follow.

William

AngryScientist
07-31-2018, 07:19 PM
infractions awarded.

on a personal note, with my mod hat off, i'll say this:

rnhood - you should be ashamed of yourself for that comment. my wife works at a college in one of the NJ towns with a large muslim population, and i have the opportunity to meet and interact with muslim americans quite frequently. always my pleasure.

you may not think so, but using the racial slur "towel heads" as a negative connotation to indicate people that you think are dangerous is colossally insulting to a whole lot of people. many religions have radical violent subsets, but they are the minority and not representative of the religion or region or whatever you were driving at with your slur.

get with the program man. it's 2018, educate yourself. hating an enormous group of people based on their traditional headwear is asinine.