PDA

View Full Version : Weird carbon fork finish

cribbit
07-30-2018, 04:04 PM
https://imgur.com/a/0a3tC8a

Is this normal? Either for the steerer or the body. Not sure what to think. Seems strong enough in my hands.

Dave
07-30-2018, 04:33 PM
Looks like cheap crap to me. Never seen a steering tube that wasn't very smooth.

false_Aest
07-30-2018, 06:33 PM
Seems like if there's ever a question of safety or weirdness with CF the answer is "No, not safe."

I've used that answer over and over and over again and never had a problem.

Blown Reek
07-30-2018, 07:31 PM
Seems strong enough in my hands.

Good enough. You can't see that part, anyway. Just ride it.

R3awak3n
07-30-2018, 07:31 PM
Probably fine but man that looks like crap. What brand fork is that?

Gothard
07-31-2018, 03:58 AM
Price of a fork?
Price of teeth?

Coming from someone who's having a new tooth rebuilt from bone up after a ski crash.

soulspinner
07-31-2018, 06:02 AM
Price of a fork?
Price of teeth?

Coming from someone who's having a new tooth rebuilt from bone up after a ski crash.

Ya....not fun

batman1425
07-31-2018, 06:23 AM
Yikes. Hard to know for sure, but something like that would never make it out of the factory from the brand name manuf. Structural considerations aside - is it round enough for a stem to slide on? Will a stem get enough purchase on that surface?

Lack of attention to detail is a red flag for me with CF bits. The poor cosmetic and finish work raises concerns about other corners being cut with the layup, curing, etc. A fork isn't a bit that you want to fail.

FWIW - I was reading something recently, I think it was from James Huang, that he doesn't ride used forks at all. Full stop. If he picks up a used frame set, a new fork always goes on it before he rides it.

fignon's barber
07-31-2018, 06:28 AM
Why would you risk riding this? There are millions of good forks in the world. If the outer finish is that bad, can you imagine what's between the layers? All you need is a small air pocket between carbon sheets, delamination, then.....snappy snappy.

cmg
07-31-2018, 03:33 PM
Why would you risk riding this? There are millions of good forks in the world. If the outer finish is that bad, can you imagine what's between the layers? All you need is a small air pocket between carbon sheets, delamination, then.....snappy snappy.

+1, forks are easy to get. the low price will be forgotten if it goes ...snappy snappy.