PDA

View Full Version : Flared Handlebars?

MrCannonCam
07-30-2018, 06:16 AM
Looking for flared bars for my Cannondale Slate. I prefer my hoods to be completely 'vertical' I guess you could say. Looking around can't seem to find all that much. I don't need a massive 24d sweep or anything, would be nice to have a slight flare on them. Any help would be appreciated

Veloo
07-30-2018, 07:22 AM
My FSA Energy Wing Pro bars measure 42 c-c at the top of the hood area and 44 c-c at the ends. I really don't feel any flaring though.

Lovetoclimb
07-30-2018, 07:38 AM
I have used both the Salsa Cowbells and now the Easton EC70AX. Slight flare, and I too prefer my hoods to be parallel to the ground. The latter is all about how you position the shifters on the bars when setting them up.

jbreebs
07-30-2018, 08:10 AM
I've got 46 cm cowchippers, and while it seems like a lot of sweep, I find the 24d to be very comfortable. It's nice because it creates some clearance for your arms behind the curved part of the top of the bars, which is something I struggle with in normal drops (am I doing something wrong?!). And I think the extra width helps add some stability on gravel.

dustyrider
07-30-2018, 08:20 AM
Salsa's Cowbell and Bell Lap bars are both good options that I've used for many happy miles on my mixed surface road bikes. I think their chipper bars are a bit too much. I'd rather have some kind of a flat bar when I'm just cruising mixed surfaces and trying to ride fast off road.

commonguy001
07-30-2018, 08:36 AM
Seems like most flared bars do tilt the levers somewhat. Cowbells are just a bit tilted, Eastons have a bit more and cowchippers really tip the levers a ton.

I had some flared bars that came on a Marin 4 corners and they only flared at the hooks so the levers had no noticeable tilt. Looking at brands it looks like 3T Superghiaia in 44 may be close to that shape and worth a look.

My favorite is a toss up between the Cowbells and the Eastons with the Cowbells having less lever tilt.

Clean39T
07-30-2018, 09:29 AM
I've got an extra pair of cowbells - 40 at hoods, 45 at ends. $40 shipped. Same ones as are on my Kirk cross in the gallery...

I really like them, just don't need the extra one.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Nooch
07-30-2018, 09:35 AM
Ritchey EvoMax? 12* sweep

cinco
07-30-2018, 10:20 AM
Doesn't ENVY bars have a bit of flare? I think maybe small enough to keep from tilting the levers too much. I have the Salsa Cowbell 2 bars. They are really comfortable and stable for off-road stuff, and the flare isn't too pronounced.

Andy in Houston

jruhlen1980
07-30-2018, 11:21 AM
I've been intrigued by the Deda Gravel 100 http://www.dedaelementi.com/en/product/gravel-100/ since someone posted a thread about them here a few months back https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=218880 but they seem to be unobtanium, at least online. I haven't asked my LBS yet if they can get them through QBP. Anyway it's a 12 degree flare.

I use a 3T Ergonova (alloy) with a 6 degree flare -- enough to keep from hitting the drops with my knees when I stand. Wouldn't mind trying a 12 degree flare but I'm not interested in anything more than that.

jb_11
07-30-2018, 12:00 PM
Just saw this on cyclingtips:

https://cyclingtips.com/2018/07/eurobike-2018-part-eight-closing-it-out-with-a-little-bit-of-everything/

3T bars, about 3/4 down the page.

echelon_john
07-30-2018, 12:24 PM
Love love love the Ritchey Evomax. Perhaps the most intuitively shaped & most comfortable bar I’ve ever used.

kingpin75s
07-30-2018, 01:42 PM
I use a 3T Ergonova (alloy) with a 6 degree flare -- enough to keep from hitting the drops with my knees when I stand. Wouldn't mind trying a 12 degree flare but I'm not interested in anything more than that.

I have used the 3T Ergonova carbon bars on multiple builds for myself and others over the past 5 years. They are great bars for sure.

That said, I really do prefer the 12 degree flare of the Cowbells and have starting replacing the Ergonova bars with carbon Cowbells. All of my alloy drops were already Cowbells. They strike the perfect balance for me.

Cornfed
07-30-2018, 02:09 PM
Rode all the various Salsa bars -- Cowbell, Woodchipper, Cowchipper, etc -- but tried the new Easton EC70AX last year and haven't looked back. Just enough flare for control and comfort but with nearly vertical levers (as a previous poster mentioned, it's all about how you set them up). And they would not look unusual on a straight road bike.

mattnes17
07-30-2018, 02:11 PM
For lots of flare the Soma Junebug have been working awesome for me. I ride them on and off road, everything from a LBS stop to singletrack cruising. They get a lot of weird looks, but they are comfortable as heck!

PacNW2Ford
07-30-2018, 02:22 PM
I've been intrigued by the Deda Gravel 100 http://www.dedaelementi.com/en/product/gravel-100/ since someone posted a thread about them here a few months back https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=218880 but they seem to be unobtanium, at least online. I haven't asked my LBS yet if they can get them through QBP. Anyway it's a 12 degree flare.

The Deda Gravel 100’s are on Excel Sports’ website.

ColonelJLloyd
07-30-2018, 07:32 PM
By the OP I can't really tell how much flare you're after. But, if you want it subtle (clearance for forearms pretty much) then I'd look to a Maes bend of some sort (Compass or Velo Orange Course). That's if the reach works for you. If you need modern short af reach then Ritchey Neomax.

bikingshearer
07-30-2018, 07:47 PM
Nitto 177 ("Noodle" bar). It sounds like it's exactly what you are looking for.

pbarry
07-30-2018, 07:48 PM
Cowbells work for me on the "gravel" bike, after using traditional road bars for 40 years.

R3awak3n
07-30-2018, 08:02 PM
Im gonna give cowbells a try. I thought about the new flared eastons but maybe too much flare for me. I think cowbells are as much flare as I can do

owly
07-31-2018, 02:28 AM
Adding the Satori X-Race Carbon to the list.
Short reach and drop. Swept-back oval top. 6-degree or so flare.

auto_rock
07-31-2018, 02:50 AM
If you want the flare but don't want the width... four word solution: "Jan-Willem van Schip".

MrCannonCam
07-31-2018, 01:26 PM
Awesome, lots of options. I'd prefer to steer clear of carbon bars on this bike.

Think I may go with the cowbells or Eastons, seems like my best bet. Looking a shallow drop and like 12 degree-ish or less flare after really looking more at all these options

SlowPokePete
07-31-2018, 01:28 PM
I was looking at theFSA carbon gravel bar.

I like that Easton EC70 too

SPP