PDA

View Full Version : What's a good 36h tubeless road rim?

Lewis Moon
07-29-2018, 08:15 PM
I have some nice 36 hole hubs that I'd like to set up as 'cross wheels. What's a nice rim?

donevwil
07-29-2018, 08:28 PM
From an aluminum perspective, Velocity A23 (OC rear a bonus), Quill (same weight, wider, but no OC) and Pacenti Brevet (no experience but heard/read good things).

My vote is A23, I have an OP set that are super durable and somewhat light for my 230#.

daker13
07-30-2018, 05:49 AM
I have A23's set up as tubeless, ran them with clinchers for a while, started getting a lot of flats on dirt etc., and tried the tubeless thing a few months ago... one of those things I never really thought about, but it IS pretty nice.

oldpotatoe
07-30-2018, 07:25 AM
I have some nice 36 hole hubs that I'd like to set up as 'cross wheels. What's a nice rim?

I'll second Velocity Rims..great quality, build well, 36h option which seems pretty rare these days..

'Cross? Major Toms..cross=tubulars ya nancy:):)

Lewis Moon
07-30-2018, 08:57 AM
Looks like I'll be grabbing some A23s. Any good YouTube tutorials for going tubeless? Will I really need another pump?
Will Lassie bring the sheriff in time to save Bobby from drowning in the well?

oldpotatoe
07-30-2018, 09:20 AM
Looks like I'll be grabbing some A23s. Any good YouTube tutorials for going tubeless? Will I really need another pump?

-lots
-maybe
-everytime:)

jruhlen1980
07-30-2018, 11:40 AM

I haven't yet made a youtube tutorial yet, but my procedure for going tubeless is

1) Take it to the LBS, let them deal with it.

:banana:

daker13
07-30-2018, 01:03 PM

I used Schwalbe G Ones, because I wanted a versatile tire that might still be decent on hardpack. Didn't even try with the Conti cross tires I had, going along with the popular wisdom that it's easier when you use dedicated tires/rims. I watched a bunch of videos, but found the mtb ones not-so-useful. The one I watched the most was this bloke:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgqeOI-aJCs

Re: pump, I just used a CO2 cartridge (which I never use) on the first one; second one I was able to seat with a floor pump (Joe blow). A couple posts to the PL for help.

I can't see going to road tubeless, but it has been pretty awesome for my gravel type bike.