PDA

View Full Version : Pegoretti, choice vs. current Ride?

bobvelo
07-29-2018, 10:44 AM
Good, day; I wanted to ask, the owners of the Marcelo, and Duende, frame sets a question. I slowly fell into the Pegoretti illness last year around the Philly bike show, I dismissed it, but it is here to stay. THE question would a fellow Paceline member go to Stelbel, an Italian frame builders, web site and look at there Rodano, closely. Check out the chain stays etc. and tell me in your opinion which Pegoretti it is closer to, the Duende, or the Marcelo, my forward direction is regardless of my age riding style etc. I do not want what I already have. Best, to you, and yours; bobvelo;

bob heinatz
07-29-2018, 08:04 PM
If you don't race get the Duende. It is a magic carpet ride. Yes I own one. Don't worry if a new bike is like your current bike. Get one that is designed for the type of riding you will be doing.

FlashUNC
07-29-2018, 08:22 PM
Neither, Responsorium. The one I recently picked up is phenomenal.

fogrider
07-29-2018, 09:03 PM
Good, day; I wanted to ask, the owners of the Marcelo, and Duende, frame sets a question. I slowly fell into the Pegoretti illness last year around the Philly bike show, I dismissed it, but it is here to stay. THE question would a fellow Paceline member go to Stelbel, an Italian frame builders, web site and look at there Rodano, closely. Check out the chain stays etc. and tell me in your opinion which Pegoretti it is closer to, the Duende, or the Marcelo, my forward direction is regardless of my age riding style etc. I do not want what I already have. Best, to you, and yours; bobvelo;

I'm confused...so you want a Peg, but you're willing to get a Stelbel in lieu of? And you're expecting it to ride the same or similar? Just because the chainstay looks the same, I'm pretty sure it's not going to ride the same.

joosttx
07-29-2018, 09:12 PM
VeloBob,

I do not know where you live but Summer Cycles in San Diego have several Pegs to demo. If you are in the area or are traveling to San Diego area stop by. You could probably call them and have them walk you through the differences too.

http://summercycles.com/demo/

bobvelo
07-29-2018, 09:29 PM
Hello, I am sorry for any, confusion. I bought directly, a Stelbel Rodano ordered late 2016 received last spring the experience
was great. I built it up and have been riding it a lot, moving forward, I would like to put together another bike, in the next year or so. The Pegoretti bug bite, I should have a link showing the Stelbel, Rodano model, my computer skills are not 100%. Hence the request, to have the Pegoretti owners give a quick look, and let me know there thoughts, but I am leaning towards the Duende, as I do not race, but I mostly ride solo, around Gettysburg, Best to you, bobvelo

bigbill
07-29-2018, 09:40 PM
Been riding a BLE since 2006, it's on the second paint job. I found it on this forum, I had wanted a BLE for a few years and had the money, but there were just none my size in existence in the supply chain (Gita). Then this one popped up and I grabbed it. It's the best riding bike I've ever owned, Dario gets it.

For comparison, I've got a Merckx MX Leader, Serotta Ti, and a Nobilette GT.

Fishbike
07-30-2018, 06:49 AM
I have two Duendes and a Responsorium. The bikes are very stable, very smooth and well balanced. I am small and not powerful at all, so my Duendes are plenty stiff for me. I would not consider a Marcelo, although I know it is the gold standard for many more powerful riders. The Respo. may have touch more spring in the ride and may have a little titanium flavor about it. For me, given the cost of the Responsoriums, I think the Duende is the perfect frame. When I ordered my Ciavete I went with another Duende.

Tickdoc
07-30-2018, 08:13 AM
Duende here and can't imagine needing anything stiffer. One step closer to planing with those thinner stays....but that is a whole nuther discussion.:banana:

Anyone here have a stelbel? I don't recall seeing any, but would love some real world comparos.

Waldo
07-30-2018, 03:59 PM
I'm confused...so you want a Peg, but you're willing to get a Stelbel in lieu of? And you're expecting it to ride the same or similar? Just because the chainstay looks the same, I'm pretty sure it's not going to ride the same.

It could be better...

Climb01742
07-30-2018, 04:35 PM
VeloBob,

I do not know where you live but Summer Cycles in San Diego have several Pegs to demo. If you are in the area or are traveling to San Diego area stop by. You could probably call them and have them walk you through the differences too.

http://summercycles.com/demo/

Wow, that’s an impressive demo fleet. Smart, too. Craig is doing it right.

Duende
07-30-2018, 07:41 PM
Definitely curious to hear an a/b comparison!!

jamesdak
07-30-2018, 08:20 PM
I'll throw this out there as a possible option. Dario designed the old Giordana bikes and I was able to get a NOS frame straight from the warehouse 3 years ago. This bike feels amazing under me on the road, better than my De Rosa, Serotta, Basso or even the Italian built Lemonds I have. It feels so good that I've sought out and picked up a couple of others.

So "Dario on the cheap" you may want to try and locate one of these. I just contacted Gita via their webpage to arrange picking up mine. They still had several various models in different sizes.

This is the NOS one, a Super XL . 19 lbs 6 ozs with not C.F. parts at all. Just "heavy" Athena ll speed. Excell Podium steel tubeset.

http://www.pbase.com/jhuddle/image/167775924.jpg

I recently picked up this Polaris made with Columbus SLX and it delivered the goods on it's first test ride.

http://www.pbase.com/jhuddle/image/167800611.jpg

Finally is this Antares, made with Columbus Cromor. It may be a "lesser" grade of steel but it really moves out on the road.

http://www.pbase.com/jhuddle/image/165104779.jpg

So, they may not have Dario's name but they sure have his pedigree and it shows in how well they ride. Just throwing that out there.

jm714
07-30-2018, 10:46 PM
I recently emailed Dario with my height, weight and few other dimensions and told him I was looking at a Duende or a Marcelo. He replied pretty quickly and told me which one he would put me on.

So you might drop him a line and see what he thinks.

Climb01742
07-31-2018, 08:47 AM
I recently emailed Dario with my height, weight and few other dimensions and told him I was looking at a Duende or a Marcelo. He replied pretty quickly and told me which one he would put me on.

So you might drop him a line and see what he thinks.

Can’t leave us hanging!!! Inquiring minds and all that. Want to share more details??:);)

jm714
07-31-2018, 12:42 PM
Can’t leave us hanging!!! Inquiring minds and all that. Want to share more details??:);)

Hi James,
A mxxxxxxo is the correct choice.
Have a great day
Dario

Jimbo251
07-31-2018, 01:08 PM
I own a Marcelo. A small one in 50cm. Let me tell you those are big pipes on a little frame, it's not in the least bit harsh. I find the Marcelo to ride smooth as buttah.

I don't think you'll be dissapointed with either. The Peg illness is a tough one to crack, it does not go away until said Peg is acquired.

Good Luck!

Climb01742
07-31-2018, 02:22 PM
Hi James,
A mxxxxxxo is the correct choice.
Have a great day
Dario

Hey Dario! Great to hear from you. So many of the paint schemes you’ve been posting lately on FB have been incredible. Seeing them makes me smile. Be well and happy!

Mattbotak
07-31-2018, 04:56 PM
I have a Duende and love the ride/feel. Highly recommend.

pjbaz
08-01-2018, 10:37 AM
My $.02

I picked up a 2014 Mxxxxxo last season and a 2011 Duende this season which I recently built up and started riding. They are both 54 and set up pretty similarly - though my Mxxxxxo's bars are a touch lower.

Since I started riding the Duende I'm SUPER happy with it, and I thought I was pleased with the Mxxxxxo! They are different but both are absolutely a joy to ride. While I'm messing with my final position/component choices on the Duende, and bc it was filthy after being caught in the rain the other day, I took the Mxxxxxo to the Monday night group ride and we were hammering along. 30 miles at 18.8 and I was fresh and comfy.

My observations (based on about 400 miles on the Mxxxxxo and 125 on the Duende, so far):

Both are: wicked (a good thing) fun, comfy, efficient and smooth over almost all terrain. They climb like scalded monkeys. People ask about them ... "is that carbon?" but few know who made them and look at you perplexed when you explain. However, those that know, know, and they appreciate them :-)

The only issue I have, right now, and I assume only temporarily, is that when standing and climbing on the Duende I'm getting brake rub. Now, I run my brake pads super close to the rim, and I'm running different wheelsets between the two bikes so it could be that the H plus Son's are too flexy. I'm going to experiment with different wheels and see if that changes things.

Overall, I like them MORE each time I ride them and I don't think you can go wrong with either.

Also, if you're patient and put in the work you CAN find them for reasonable prices. My Mxxxxxo came off this site and the Duende was a NOS leftover :banana:

Tickdoc
08-01-2018, 10:43 AM
My $.02

I picked up a 2014 Mxxxxxo last season and a 2011 Duende this season which I recently built up and started riding. They are both 54 and set up pretty similarly - though my Mxxxxxo's bars are a touch lower.

Since I started riding the Duende I'm SUPER happy with it, and I thought I was pleased with the Mxxxxxo! They are different but both are absolutely a joy to ride. While I'm messing with my final position/component choices on the Duende, and bc it was filthy after being caught in the rain the other day, I took the Mxxxxxo to the Monday night group ride and we were hammering along. 30 miles at 18.8 and I was fresh and comfy.

My observations (based on about 400 miles on the Mxxxxxo and 125 on the Duende, so far):

Both are: wicked (a good thing) fun, comfy, efficient and smooth over almost all terrain. They climb like scalded monkeys. People ask about them ... "is that carbon?" but few know who made them and look at you perplexed when you explain. However, those that know, know, and they appreciate them :-)

The only issue I have, right now, and I assume only temporarily, is that when standing and climbing on the Duende I'm getting brake rub. Now, I run my brake pads super close to the rim, and I'm running different wheelsets between the two bikes so it could be that the H plus Son's are too flexy. I'm going to experiment with different wheels and see if that changes things.

Overall, I like them MORE each time I ride them and I don't think you can go wrong with either.

Also, if you're patient and put in the work you CAN find them for reasonable prices. My Mxxxxxo came off this site and the Duende was a NOS leftover :banana:

My favorite comment so far while riding mine was an older guy on a gunnar who saddled up next to me on a group ride and asked "how many people here know what you are riding?" with a sly grin. "not many" was my response.

In the sea of Black plastic, there is nothing better than keeping up with the youguns on handmade steel. What they don't know won't hurt them:banana:

bobvelo
08-01-2018, 11:18 AM
Thanks, for all the great replies. After some general homework on the subject, to looks like the Duende will work, as the Stelbel Rodano is a first cousin to the Marcelo, Best bobvelo

pjbaz
08-01-2018, 11:41 AM
My favorite comment so far while riding mine was an older guy on a gunnar who saddled up next to me on a group ride and asked "how many people here know what you are riding?" with a sly grin. "not many" was my response.

In the sea of Black plastic, there is nothing better than keeping up with the youguns on handmade steel. What they don't know won't hurt them:banana:

Honestly, one of the reasons I spent 4 years looking for a Peg I could afford. When I discuss my current stable I preface the comments with a statement along the lines of "I've moved up to a certain level of pretentiousness ..."

Waldo
08-01-2018, 11:59 AM
Honestly, one of the reasons I spent 4 years looking for a Peg I could afford. When I discuss my current stable I preface the comments with a statement along the lines of "I've moved up to a certain level of pretentiousness ..."

It's not pretentiosness if steel is all you ever rode.

pjbaz
08-01-2018, 12:57 PM
It's not pretentiosness if steel is all you ever rode.

I confess, I do own a steel/cf 2004 Lemond Zurich, and an alu. Trek Crockett CX and alu. 9:zero:7 fatbike, but the rest are steel ...

84-85 DeRosa
Kelly Bonestock
2014 Pegoretti Mxxxxxo
2011 Pegoretti Duende
pre-Trek Lemond
On-One Inbred 29er
Raleigh Rush Hour fixie
2008 2Hip Lino BMX

tv_vt
08-01-2018, 01:17 PM
I picked up a 2014 Mxxxxxo last season and a 2011 Duende this season which I recently built up and started riding. They are both 54 and set up pretty similarly.

... if you're patient and put in the work you CAN find them for reasonable prices. My Mxxxxxo came off this site and the Duende was a NOS leftover

I've been patient for quite a while, and I still haven't seen any 59cm frames pop up anywhere...:mad:

grateful
08-01-2018, 02:45 PM
This post is killing me. Sometime back a Paceliner posted a Luigino in my size for $700.00 and I passed. That decision still haunts me today!

pjbaz
08-01-2018, 06:53 PM
I've been patient for quite a while, and I still haven't seen any 59cm frames pop up anywhere...:mad:

Dang! that's a large frame in Peg terms since people usually size down one or two sizes. I'm usually anywhere from 56-57 but my Pegs are 54. I'd like to try a 55, though.

I'll keep my eyes out for you. GL!

Waldo
08-01-2018, 10:41 PM
This post is killing me. Sometime back a Paceliner posted a Luigino in my size for $700.00 and I passed. That decision still haunts me today!

I had a Luigino. Aside from the name on the downtube and the Pegoretti logos, the bike was indistinguishable from other fine lugged steel frames.