PDA

View Full Version : Chamois Cream

Ozz
07-29-2018, 08:45 AM
What is the "go to" chamois cream these days?

I've used Assos for years..both old formula *tingly* and new *blue*...seems ok, but wondering if there is anything else folks like.

Cheers.

eddief
07-29-2018, 09:10 AM
Spendy, the bestest.

PSJoyce
07-29-2018, 09:14 AM
Enzo's ButtonHole, and I've tried a bunch

booglebug
07-29-2018, 09:48 AM
Assos for me, no problems, lasts a long time

Climb01742
07-29-2018, 09:51 AM
Another vote for Buttonhole. About $20 for 8oz on Amazon. For me, because I use a lot in the summer, quality and price have to play nice. So far, Enzo's is the best balance of both. Might be a better cream out there somewhere, it may cost too much to be an everyday option. That said, aren't we all always looking for what better?;)

MattTuck
07-29-2018, 09:56 AM
A pretty long list here. (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=171764) If there are any to add to that post, let me know and I'll edit it.

For me, I really like Doc's chamois cream.

Avispa
07-29-2018, 12:27 PM
DZ Nuts is one of the best ones I've used for years... but it has gotten up in price lately. It has the right density and healing ingredients for saddle sores. Also it does not leave a mess on the shorts.
These days, most companies are reducing the amount of product you get to leave the same price, or they keep the same usual size and charge you more... Over the last couple of years, DZNutz has gone from $12 to $18 a tube!

Other brands I like are Muc-Off (no, not the chain lubricant) and Assos.

But, I do prefer a cream that comes on a tube, rather than a jar and it's not oily in any way. Reason being, one can avoid "double dipping" fingers on the thing and waste of product. I also like to apply the cream on my skin and not on the chamois...

R3awak3n
07-29-2018, 12:35 PM
I really like the rapha stuff. I got it as a gift once and have not bought anything since. I have tried a bunch, some I also like, others I dont.

Second very close to rapha is Ballocks

https://podiumskincare.com/products/ballocks-chamois-cream-for-men

really good stuff too.

FlashUNC
07-29-2018, 01:16 PM
Assos or Above Category house brand.

bikinchris
07-29-2018, 01:29 PM
I like plain old Chamois Butt'r

dave thompson
07-29-2018, 01:32 PM
I like plain old Chamois Butt'r

Me too. Relatively cheap, long lasting and commonly available.

makoti
07-29-2018, 01:34 PM
The stuff I make myself.

cdn_bacon
07-29-2018, 01:41 PM
Noxema creme $12CAD in the metal tin.

stays with me all day. don't knock it till you try it.

Climb01742
07-29-2018, 01:53 PM
Noxema creme $12CAD in the metal tin.

stays with me all day. don't knock it till you try it.

I've always thought that Udderly Smooth was basically Noxema.

AZR3
07-29-2018, 02:16 PM
Enzo's ButtonHole, and I've tried a bunch

Another vote for buttonhole. Use to use Butt’r cream but I prefer buttonhole

joosttx
07-29-2018, 02:19 PM
Mad Alchemy Pro Chammy cream is really nice. I don’t use it that often. Just on super long multi day rides

buckfifty
07-29-2018, 03:00 PM
Mad Alchemy Pro Chammy cream is really nice. I don’t use it that often. Just on super long multi day rides

I love the Mad Alchemy products as well. For long rides, I like the Pure Chamois Cream. It's a bit thicker but not quite viscous. It'll "loosen" up when you gather some in your hands and apply it. Long lasting cream for sure

VC Slim
07-29-2018, 04:33 PM
I like Climb On. A bit pricey though.

simonov
07-30-2018, 06:19 AM
Assos or Above Category house brand.

The AC stuff is really good. Like it's surprising that a bike shop's house brand could be as good or better than anything else out there good. Especially for people who don't like it tingly.

oldpotatoe
07-30-2018, 07:19 AM
This, medicated, not water based(doesn't 'sweat' off)..cheap..great for any little cuts and scrapes. Less lanolin than BagBalm, oil of clove makes it smell better.

Put it on you, not the chamois..Also great for saddle sores or 'bib rash', chaffing. Shower, some rubbing alcohol(YOWSER!!)..and a little of this, heals fast.

bpm
07-30-2018, 08:24 AM
Another vote for Mad Alchemy. I use the Pro+. Great product and Pete Smith is a great guy.

GregL
07-30-2018, 08:28 AM
This, medicated, not water based(doesn't 'sweat' off)..cheap..great for any little cuts and scrapes. Less lanolin than BagBalm, oil of clove makes it smell better.

Put it on you, not the chamois..Also great for saddle sores or 'bib rash', chaffing. Shower, some rubbing alcohol(YOWSER!!)..and a little of this, heals fast.
I concur 100% with this recommendation. Not only very good as a chamois cream, but only $6.99 at the local feed store!

Greg

mktng
07-30-2018, 08:47 AM
I use chamois butt'r daily.
Its good. It works. Nothing fancy.

But i've only recently started using chamois cream.
Been cycling 8 years without it. Its definitely a game changer.
But chose to stick to something that was generously stocked by the LBS.

What more could a chamois cream really provide? Serious question. As i noticed that there alot of nicer brands.

weiwentg
07-30-2018, 09:52 AM
A pretty long list here. (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=171764) If there are any to add to that post, let me know and I'll edit it.

Not adding to the post, but balmco.com, the review site linked in the post, appears to be down (domain name registration expired).

metalheart
08-15-2018, 03:59 PM
I picked up some Betwixt at a local LBS. It is thick, but not too much, and lasts a long time. Works as well as Doc's for me.

For an upcoming trip where I plan to carry-on all my cycling stuff, I began looking for something that would pass the TSA less than 3.4 ounces requirement and found Ruby's All Natural Anti Chafing (http://rubyslube.com) cream which is more like DZ Nuts in consistency than either Docs or Betixt. And it comes in a TSA friendly 3oz tube.I have used it a couple times and it works fine. It is also "multi-purpose" according to the description on the packaging:

"Ruby’s Body Balm is an ALL NATURAL lubricating balm with 5 simple ingredients: olive oil, lemongrass, calendula, beeswax and benzoin. It is made to ease friction and the chafing common to swimmers, cyclists and runners. Ruby’s can also moisturize dry feet and elbows, protect a baby’s bottom, massage muscles or enhance a romantic evening. Try it and find out why Ruby’s Body Balm, “MOTION POTION FOR EVERY NOTION™” is naturally better.

MattTuck
08-15-2018, 04:01 PM
Not adding to the post, but balmco.com, the review site linked in the post, appears to be down (domain name registration expired).

Thanks, when I get some time, I will update that list.

LouDeeter
08-15-2018, 04:21 PM
https://enduranceshield.com/products/chamois-creme?variant=433379469

Without a doubt, Endurance Shield. A tub lasts me several months and I ride daily. Their sunscreen is also beyond excellent. 45 spf and it goes on without greasy feel or pastiness. Great stuff.

TEMPLE
08-15-2018, 04:44 PM
Not like I am a connoisseur of things one may spread on their nuts, but this stuff is amazing:

https://muc-off.com/products/luxury-chamois-cream

It smells so good, I have a hard time not using it as a daily moisturizer. It's too expensive to use daily! But it sure smells good. It's also got a little warming action, if you are into these things.

I've also thought about trying Glysomed as chamois cream. Am I alone in this? It seems suitable.

beeatnik
08-15-2018, 04:48 PM
I really like the rapha stuff. I got it as a gift once and have not bought anything since. I have tried a bunch, some I also like, others I dont.

Good stuff, cool tin. Goes quick doe.

verbs4us
08-15-2018, 06:02 PM
I man-up to Desitin Rapid Relief (zinc oxide) diaper cream.

pdonk
08-15-2018, 07:30 PM
I like donkey label. No tingle. Smells good. Works.

Burnette
08-15-2018, 07:39 PM
Mad Alchemy has a pleasant smell and washes out of the bib pads well, it is very thin but lasts even on long hot sweaty rides.

acorn_user
08-15-2018, 07:48 PM
Another vote for the Muc-Off one. I love it and use it all the time. Chamois cream went a long way to eliminating sore feelings after long rides, even when I was using a decent saddle and nice shorts.

BdaGhisallo
08-20-2018, 09:22 AM

I was a long time Assos chamois cream user and started using the Doc's late last year. It is terrific and has a nice tea tree smell which I love. And the Doc's cream lasts a long time. A little goes a very long way.

ultraman6970
08-20-2018, 09:39 AM
Vaseline.

BdaGhisallo
08-20-2018, 09:42 AM
Vaseline.

What do you use to wash that out of your shorts?

Marc40a
08-20-2018, 11:20 AM
I want to like the ASSOS but I can't quite handle the 'tingle on my dingle', if you know what I'm saying. I'll use it for short rides where I'm just dabbing a bit on but for epic rides with a full lube, I'll use something else.

verticaldoug
08-20-2018, 11:28 AM
I always liked the Sportique Century Riding Cream but a lot of people hate the heavy sandalwood smell.

I think the latest incarnation of Assos no longer has the tingle- the white stuff. The old stuff was kinda menthol cream color with tingle.

srider
08-20-2018, 11:46 AM
another vote for Enzo's ButtonHole

OtayBW
08-20-2018, 05:05 PM
What do you use to wash that out of your shorts?I think I heard someone mention kerosene, but I'm not sure....:rolleyes:

simplemind
08-20-2018, 05:42 PM

I can attest: After having several folliculitis issues, one surgically removed, I tried U balm based on OP's recommendation and the folliculitis issue just disappeared after a week. NOT a chamois cream substitute, but has multiple uses, good stuff.

Dave B
08-20-2018, 05:43 PM
I’ve tried a few, however I stick with chamois but’r and just a little bit then add on/in udder cream.

I have used aloe-Vera lotion before as well. I am too much of a “I don’t give a .... type of person to get too invested in this. I am sure they are all good, I am just trying to get less friction, but my rides only last a couple of hours doing say 30-50 miles. I am sure that is not much to you folks, but I don’t need to ride a metric or more each time.

I have yet to adopt the stereotype roadie persona. I am just a Fred who has great taste in frames and no shame ordering from aliexpress. ;)

zross312
08-20-2018, 08:42 PM
I've tried a few as well, and found Chamois Butt'r to be the best. HOWEVER - personally, I've had by far the best success by not using the stuff at all, enduring some initial discomfort, and just letting my bottom toughen up naturally. The problem with chamois cream is that, if you get used to it, you can't ride without it. But ymmv.

charliedid
08-20-2018, 08:48 PM
https://youtu.be/cvfxKbpoxRE

mcteague
08-21-2018, 06:58 AM

I got some Doc Naylor's Udder Balm some time ago thanks to your rec. Cheap, smells fine and works like a charm. Whats not to like?

Tim

Alan
08-21-2018, 08:42 AM
This works great for long rides and is great for skin issues off the bike. It washes out just fine and won't damage shorts like other products that I used to use.

http://endurostuff.com/reviews/

Alan

redir
08-21-2018, 09:04 AM
I've always just used BagBalm. It's cheap and a tin will last for ever. It does smell though so I might try that Naylor stuff after the BagBalm is gone in another ten years :D

ultraman6970
08-21-2018, 11:08 AM
You use kerosene and then you use cigarette lighter and put the flame really close, that will evaporate the stain :D

Now seriously I have used tiny dabs of vaseline, and never had a problem with stains because the body absorbs it, The other stuff I have used lately is aquaphor healing ointment, a lot cheaper than other stuff, just a dab and good to go.

I think I heard someone mention kerosene, but I'm not sure....:rolleyes:

eippo1
08-21-2018, 04:19 PM
I man-up to Desitin Rapid Relief (zinc oxide) diaper cream.

Last time I used that stuff I had a major reaction to it. Body did not like it.

For chamois cream, I use the Butt'r or the Assos. Have a saddle sore at the moment, though, so am just taking a break for a few days. Not sure if anything could have prevented the chafing from D2R2. My saddle was at the end of its life and wasn't really supporting much and I was soaked for quite a few hours.

mastaliu
08-22-2018, 07:02 AM
Thumbs up for Docs Skincare Natural Chamois Cream. I also use Waxelene, an all natural beeswax cream that washes out fine.