PDA

View Full Version : OT: Insulated Cooler Recommendations

PNW
07-27-2018, 09:59 PM
It’s the time where I’m done with the Coleman coolers I’ve been buying that don’t keep ice for even a few hours. I’m looking for recommendations on a few brands that I’ve narrowed it down to. My company is covering it so cost isn’t an issue.

Yeti Tundra 65
Grizzly 60
Otterbox Venture 65
Canyon 55

Opinions are welcomed from those who have experience with any of the brands!

sfghbiker
07-27-2018, 10:07 PM
I just got a grizzly and am very happy with it. the key thing for me was that i needed a shorter cooler so that it would fit in my truck bed under the cover. if I didn’t have this limitation I would have purchased an orion cooler. they are certainly worth putting on your list especially if someone else is paying...

PNW
07-27-2018, 10:11 PM
I just got a grizzly and am very happy with it. the key thing for me was that i needed a shorter cooler so that it would fit in my truck bed under the cover. if I didn’t have this limitation I would have purchased an orion cooler. they are certainly worth putting on your list especially if someone else is paying...

What’s their warranty like? What do you like about them?

sfghbiker
07-27-2018, 10:25 PM
not sure if you’re asking about the orion or the grizzly but the orion coolers:
made in the us
10 year warranty
look awesome (this is open to interpretation)
some features that I find useful included like non slip top, dry rack and a bottle opener. they also have some pretty cool accessories that would be particularly useful if you use them on a boat/fishing (not my situation)

PNW
07-27-2018, 10:28 PM
not sure if you’re asking about the orion or the grizzly but the orion coolers:
made in the us
10 year warranty
look awesome (this is open to interpretation)
some features that I find useful included like non slip top, dry rack and a bottle opener. they also have some pretty cool accessories that would be particularly useful if you use them on a boat/fishing (not my situation)

Yes sorry, the Orion. Grizzly is lifetime and also made in the US. The Orion stuff looks great...I’m intrigued.

jimcav
07-27-2018, 11:59 PM
I believe the 35 can size, but they have various models. I got it on sale during their black friday or cyber monday, one of those. It is great and keeps things very cold for 3 days, in hot (90s) weather. I might have got a pelican cooler if i was more into fishing as they have the integrated ruler--from what i've seen most are made with the same kind of insulating foam and gaskets and the diff is where it is made and hardware or nice add-ons like openers and wheels (pelican has latches like their non-cooler cases, whereas RTIC has the rubber stretching T-shape catches). All these are pretty heavy, my only complaint with my RTIC is in this smaller size it has a metal bucket-style handle that is not comfortable to carry. I should have gotten a bigger size with a handle on each side, but it is mainly me solo so I didn't need the volume. If I used it a lot, I'd definitely splurge for the pelican version with wheels

gasman
07-28-2018, 12:21 AM
I've used a Yeti for years. It keeps things cold for a long time especially if you use dry ice and pre-cool it with ice then you can get 4 days in hot weather. The downside I keep running into is the thick insulation really cuts down on the actual storage volume I still unconsciously expect when heft it around. Oh well ,can't have it all.

You'd be fine with all the other choices and they will last forever last forever from what I've seen.

Louis
07-28-2018, 12:21 AM
RTIC vs Yeti:

https://www.thecoolerzone.com/rtic-vs-yeti-cooler-ultimate-guide/

https://www.thecoolerzone.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/RTIC-vs-Yeti-Ice-Life-All-Products.jpg

07-28-2018, 12:57 AM
Those tests can be very slanted. To maximize the cooling capacity of a cooler, you want to pack it with cold ice (deep frozen ice) for a couple days before you need it. That way you don't have warmth in the cooler itself melting the ice inside. When you do so, there's next to no difference between the top coolers, as far as maintaining ice goes. Another matter is that the larger the cooler, the better it cools. So no surprise that smaller capacity coolers don't hold it as long. If you strip out all the bogus data you basically see that when you compare the hard coolers from RTIC and Yeti, they basically perform just about identically. To add to that, consider Canyon Coolers. And there are people who love Pelikans as well.

We have a dozen or so biggish coolers (45 to 230 liter) scattered across all the brands. This is what we've found:

1. The seals on the Yeti last the longest; those on the RTICs last the shortest.
2. The base of the Yeti can stand being dragged a couple miles down the road behind a truck; the Pelikan and RTIC have thinner rotary molded wall thickness, so if you potentially abrade it (e.g., allowing it to slide around the back of a truck on long drives), the Yeti will outlast the others.
3. The drain is much nicer on the Yeti than on any of the others. Hands down. And they make a couple low priced drain options that let you design the drain to your particular needs.
4. The Yeti has marginally less capacity for a given weight. You may be getting less capacity because it has more insulation or more protective rotomolded skin, or the design isn't quite as refined; I couldn't tell you which, but the difference is really small.
5. The Canyon has very sturdy straps, the best of any of them. The straps on the Yetis we have have never failed us. Ever. We've had to replace some on the RTICs.
6. The RTICs are a bit cheaper and more often on sale.
7. If you're using a cooler in any weather up to 90+ degrees, any of these top brands will hold your ice for days if properly conditioned ahead of time. In 110+ degree weather, the Pelikan fails first, the RTIC a good bit later, the Canyon still later, and the RTIC just barely longer (all measuring a 65 liter or the nearest size we had to it).
8. If your cooler has seen some use, the quality of cooling can be as much a matter of the newness of the locking tabs. The biggest contributor to cooler performance is starting with deep iced ice. If your ice is cooled only to freezing, it starts to melt right away and the inside will never be below 32 degrees F. Water freezes at 32 degrees (allowing for conditions, altitude, and other geek issues) but once it freezes it can get colder and colder. If you find a place that freezes it down to -25 degrees Fahrenheit, it'll last twice as long because the contents start from a much colder temperature. 7Eleven ice doesn't work well, but if you find a liquor store or some other place where a thermometer in the ice shows it's much colder than 32 degrees will pay you huge dividends.
9. If you need parts, Yeti wins hands down. Same for warranty claims. RTICs are common in certain parts of the country unheard of in others. Canyons are mostly unknown except by those who shop for specialty coolers.
10. Each brand has a few distinctly-shaped coolers. If one of those rocks your boat, that's the one to get.
11. Yetis have by far the best resale value. You can't find a good deal on a used Yeti in decent condition.

If I were buying another one today, I'd try to get a Yeti. If I were using other people's money, I'd definitely get a Yeti.

Mikej
07-28-2018, 07:25 AM
I got a yeti 45 yesterday, my local outdoor store has a points system and my sister just bought a ski package, so I got like a hundred off! One up Racks has various Grizzly coolers on sale if you like custom red and graphics. Shipping might be a bear....

https://www.1up-usa.com/product-category/sales/

Oh just looked and the grizzly site is way cheaper

CDollarsign
07-28-2018, 07:38 AM
Orca is made in the USA, keeps ice longer, and is cheaper than yeti. Only negative is the sizes. They tend to be taller than yeti, but actually fit the volume they state.

Wolfman
07-28-2018, 03:23 PM
We have a Yeti 75. I like the rope handles and don't particularly mind the rubber latches; but I think that if something's gonna give, it's the latches, though I have no data and certainly no bad experience to support that.

We did get a bro-deal through a friend's company, so didn't pay full price, but aside from the size and needing 2 people to move it fully loaded, it's been great.

I think that like others have said, all the top end stuff is pretty comparable, so get what speaks to you.

PeregrineA1
07-28-2018, 04:11 PM
Do you have 12v and/or 120v power available? If so, get an ARB fridge freezer. Never need ice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skiezo
07-28-2018, 08:00 PM
I have both grizzly 20 and 40 that I got from work for ordering a set amount
of product from Hilti.
I think any of the high end coolers are very comparable. If you go with any of top name brands you will be happy.

JAGI410
07-28-2018, 08:05 PM
My Igloo failed me big time on a road trip. Stopped at REI for a Yeti 45 (it was 20% off coupon season too) and I've used it a few times since. Worth every penny. Plus with REI, there's the dividend and the no worries return policy.

kingpin75s
07-29-2018, 06:46 PM
Have the Yeti 50. Prefer the shape over the 45 for coolers in that size range. Has been great for big road trips West.

I have heard good things about the Pelican coolers as well.

Frankwurst
07-29-2018, 08:38 PM
Cabelas. Cost less. Work as well as any as the big guns.
https://www.fieldandstream.com/articles/fishing/2016/03/ice-chest-throwdown-12-top-end-coolers-ranked-and-reviewed
I have two of them.:beer:

josephr
07-29-2018, 08:47 PM
out to lunch with some buddies 15 years ago and went to this dive burger joint and next door was a pop-up flea market. Saw a rather large, rolling rubbermaid cooler they had priced at $10...I offered $5, they declined...I walked...they chased me down to say $5 was OK. :banana: I've been offered $50 for it on several occasions!

I'd never really thought about the thermodynamics of coolers until I read a tip from Yeti about pre-cooling your cooler and then everything made sense about managing your cold. It takes a lot to get a cooler cold, but once its there, it and everything in it stays cold. In the middle of hot Bama summer mine has kept ice for days. The Yeti and RTic are really nice....but if I was in the search, I'd look for an old green steel Coleman like we had at scout camp. Steel is real!

jmoore
07-30-2018, 09:38 AM
Have the Yeti 50. Prefer the shape over the 45 for coolers in that size range. Has been great for big road trips West.

I have heard good things about the Pelican coolers as well.

I have a Pelican. It's a great cooler. Works as well as any of the others. The only drawback is that sucker is heavy when it's empty, like 26lbs or somesuch. Fill it up and you need a couple of people to move it around. It would survive a 50cal machine gun barrage though. Hella stout.

As others have said, any of the top coolers will work fine. You just gotta precool them.

PNW
07-31-2018, 10:06 AM
Kind of funny that i've narrowed it down to two brands that I didn't initially list...

Orion 55
Orca 58

CDollarsign
07-31-2018, 10:08 AM
My BIL has the Orca 58 and loves it. My only gripes on it vs a yeti of similar size is that its much taller. It doesn't have rubber feet, but the mesh pocket on the back is cool. Also, made in USA.

Other gripe - no one seems to keep them in stock but you can get 20% off from bed bath and beyond.

PNW
07-31-2018, 10:14 AM
My BIL has the Orca 58 and loves it. My only gripes on it vs a yeti of similar size is that its much taller. It doesn't have rubber feet, but the mesh pocket on the back is cool. Also, made in USA.

Other gripe - no one seems to keep them in stock but you can get 20% off from bed bath and beyond.

Agreed. They are sold out a lot i've noticed! I really wanted the Orange.

AngryScientist
07-31-2018, 10:31 AM
i dont own one of the new crop of ultra expensive ones, but if i did, i would want one with wheels. they're pretty hefty empty and loaded they are not easy to move. wheels would be a must for me. just a thought.

MaraudingWalrus
07-31-2018, 11:53 AM
I bought a Yeti roadie at REI six or so months ago. Went during one of the garage sales and was walking through in the line and there was one of the Tundras 65s a few feet in front of me. They had the tundra 65 that had been returned for whatever reason for the same price as the new Roadie 20 I was going to buy. My girlfriend was working hard to convince me that my parents (for whom I was actually buying the thing) wouldn't be able to drag the massive 65 to and from the beach.

The guys in front of me bought the 65. Made the decision easy for me.

I went from REI to The Varsity (with a stop at a gas station for ice) and bought three gigantic frosted orange milkshakes on Saturday afternoon. I drove from Atlanta to Cocoa Beach Sunday morning and served milkshakes to my family when I got home Sunday afternoon.

At any rate, I don't think you'll go wrong with any of the major players. If you have a membership or coupon at some place then allow that to help guide the purchasing decision, as you aren't incredibly likely to find screaming deals on many of them due to strong MSRP/MAP enforcement.

Although, the big one would have fit a hell of a lot of milkshakes...
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180731/07b71f6404ae29f7cd44e9307d6d76b2.jpg

PNW
08-03-2018, 01:53 PM
Was able to find a dealer locally who had what I wanted! It was nice comparing them to the Yeti side by side and went with the Orion 65! I was leaning to the 55 but the weight difference is negligible and when do you ever say, “I wish I had less space?” For only $20 more getting the bigger size was a good call.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180803/ae45316ec453cb21dde24070b27d7580.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mikej
08-04-2018, 08:35 AM
Bunch of Pelicans on sale at Backcountry-

seanile
08-14-2018, 12:14 PM
Bunch of Pelicans on sale at Backcountry-

thank you for this, just got the 70qt :eek: gonna have to use it as a bench / storage bin when i'm not traveling with it haha

Idris Icabod
08-30-2018, 10:14 AM
In case anyone is in the market still. Costco has the Otterbox 45 cooler at $60 off online today.

mtb_frk
02-25-2024, 09:12 AM
Going to bring this thread back. Looking for an insulated cooler for a long road trip. Wondering if there are new players in the market or if any of these have held up or fallen apart?

LadyDog
02-25-2024, 09:53 AM
Yeti for my 2 cents. Not that others are not good too.

VTCaraco
02-25-2024, 10:05 AM
I bought an Engel from Cabelas last summer. They had them on special and they checked a number of boxes for me.
Ultimately, I have no need for the limits of what the super-coolers can do, but wanted something more robust and higher-performing than the Coleman and Coleman-like options.
We didn't use it much, but I'm very happy with what it is for what we need.

p nut
02-25-2024, 10:17 AM
Going to bring this thread back. Looking for an insulated cooler for a long road trip. Wondering if there are new players in the market or if any of these have held up or fallen apart?

An outside the box suggestion:a fridge

https://a.co/d/gVlSrJX

No buying ice. No soggy sandwiches. Can be used as a fridge or freezer. Can be used as a backup fridge during an emergency.

There are more expensive options (Dometic, Iceco, etc). This ones done well for me for 2 years. I also have an Iceco that works well, too.
I use mine for road trips and camp outs. When off grid, 100w solar charger and Jackery 500w power bank does the job.

jkbrwn
02-25-2024, 11:21 AM
Above is a good suggestion.

Walmart's all over the country also still have Moosejaw coolers on clearance from when Walmart owned Moosejaw. They're not available on Moosejaw's own website anymore, but I was able to get one of these in store for only $73. Insanely good value. Solid, solid cooler.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Moosejaw-50-Quart-Ice-Fort-Hard-Cooler-with-Microban-Snow/1147147306?from=/search

Another option is an RTIC.

Just don't buy a Yeti - unless its discounted. Way overpriced.

robt57
02-25-2024, 12:58 PM
A fisherman friend (deap sea) swears by:

https://aocoolers.com/collections/sportsman-series

But for keeping cold/even temps, not frozen where applicable preference.

donevwil
02-25-2024, 01:30 PM
I'll second the fridge idea. I have an Iceco JP50 and love it, runs very little when down to temp and is a great cooler unplugged as well. You do need to closely consider volume when purchasing and they are heavy, but ours is a road trip staple. Viable option worth considering anyway.

C40_guy
02-25-2024, 02:50 PM
I bought an Engel from Cabelas last summer. They had them on special and they checked a number of boxes for me.
Ultimately, I have no need for the limits of what the super-coolers can do, but wanted something more robust and higher-performing than the Coleman and Coleman-like options.
We didn't use it much, but I'm very happy with what it is for what we need.

I've had a couple of Engels for a while and have been satisfiend with their cooling and quality. Would not hesitate to buy another...

mtb_frk
02-25-2024, 04:56 PM
Thanks all. Will probably be looking at something from REI to take advantage of the dividend.

skiezo
02-26-2024, 07:07 PM
I have a 45 and 65 qt RTIC that I bought for my offshore trips. One tourney I fish is a week long and if I pre cool with a bag of ice it will keep ice for 5 days at the least and that is with putting fresh fish n it too.
Great coolers at a great price point. Just as good if not better than a grizzly that I also have.
https://rticoutdoors.com/45-QT-Hard-Sided-Cooler.

jimcav
02-26-2024, 09:50 PM
I get together with my old HS team once a year, and I often bring CA beer that they can't get (Pliny etc). Last few years, more of them like these west coast IPA's so I got a wheeled yeti--needed the volume for more beer and just much easier to move it around with the wheels.

rice rocket
02-26-2024, 10:21 PM
Fridge for sure.

Much better than lugging around ice, sacrificing storage to ice, and having all your stuff get drowned in water when all the ice melts.

The nicer ones have a snap in battery pack that lasts all day too.

I have this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Electric-Compressor-Freezer-Perfect/dp/B09FQFXQKQ

bikinchris
02-26-2024, 10:36 PM
We won a Yeti cooler in a college support auction and it does an incredible job of holding ICE once it is conditioned. A few days before I use it, I put a frozen gallon jug in it from my freezer and cool off the inside and it will hold ice for at least 5 days before needing more ice.

Alistair
02-27-2024, 08:24 AM
Just my $0.02...

We have two main coolers.

A Coleman steel-belted 54 quart (https://www.coleman.com/coolers-drinkware/hard-coolers/steel-belted-coolers/reunion-54-quart-steel-belted-stainless-steel-cooler/SAP_3000006556.html). It's a good size for a weekend camping trip, I've had it for >20 years now and it refuses to die, but it's not the best insulating. I wouldn't want to keep meat in it for more than 2-3 days without frequently topping up the ice. I suspect the newer generation of rotoform coolers work better (but cost a small fortune and take up more space for a given capacity).

We also have an Rtic 24-can backpack cooler (https://rticoutdoors.com/Backpack-Cooler?size=24-Can&color=Coral). I haven't tested how long it will keep ice cold, but it works very well for a typical day trip, picnic, concert, etc.

Likes2ridefar
02-27-2024, 09:08 AM
Yeti hard coolers are what we use but I don’t think they perform much better than much cheaper alternatives. They are very heavy and take a lot of space for how much they hold. If i didn’t have all I need probably for life id get an igloo polar cooler instead for less than half the price and similar performance.

Likes2ridefar
02-27-2024, 09:09 AM
Fridge for sure.

Much better than lugging around ice, sacrificing storage to ice, and having all your stuff get drowned in water when all the ice melts.

The nicer ones have a snap in battery pack that lasts all day too.

I have this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Electric-Compressor-Freezer-Perfect/dp/B09FQFXQKQ

How do you power it on a multi day trip with no electricity? Put your ice in bags…easy solution to the mess and more efficient keeping the ice packed together.. Plenty of great options out there.

rice rocket
02-27-2024, 09:46 AM
How do you power it on a multi day trip with no electricity? Put your ice in bags…easy solution to the mess and more efficient keeping the ice packed together.. Plenty of great options out there.

Pretty simple.

I don't take multi day trips with no electricity. :banana:

rice rocket
02-27-2024, 09:48 AM
But really.

You can put ice in the fridge if you want. It holds stuff just like a cooler...

C40_guy
02-27-2024, 09:53 AM

I spent four days with a rented travel trailer, a non-working fridge (power issues) and my two Engel cooler bags. A daily trip to the super market for ice kept my stuff cold.

p nut
02-27-2024, 10:26 AM
Like I mentioned, today’s solar panels are pretty efficient, as are the fridges. I’ve never run out of power on week long outings in the backcountry with a 100w panel and 500w battery. Of course, I live in the high desert, so sun is plentiful. PNW or somewhere else with not a lot of sun might be a different story. Of course, those areas may require less power usage due to colder temps as well.

Likes2ridefar
02-27-2024, 10:39 AM
Like I mentioned, today’s solar panels are pretty efficient, as are the fridges. I’ve never run out of power on week long outings in the backcountry with a 100w panel and 500w battery. Of course, I live in the high desert, so sun is plentiful. PNW or somewhere else with not a lot of sun might be a different story. Of course, those areas may require less power usage due to colder temps as well.

This is good to know, and now I’ve got some research to do. It is almost always brilliantly sunny where we camp.

It is often very inconvenient to fetch ice from remote sites and sometimes the cost is absurd.

jkbrwn
02-27-2024, 10:49 AM

I think this thread can probably summarized with: if you have power buy a fridge.

If you don't have power buy a rotomolded cooler

;)

p nut
02-27-2024, 10:53 AM
This is good to know, and now I’ve got some research to do. It is almost always brilliantly sunny where we camp.

It is often very inconvenient to fetch ice from remote sites and sometimes the cost is absurd.

Never underestimate the revitalizing power of ice cream when you’re way out in the sticks on a 100+ degree day! :)

donevwil
02-27-2024, 11:08 AM

I have a portable jump starter that I have used to run the fridge in a rare instance when I didn't want to use the car battery because I was heading off on a ride. Not as straightforward as a power station because the jumper turns off when there's no draw, but if unopened the cooler stays cold for many hours (longer than my ride would be).

Likes2ridefar
03-28-2024, 12:36 PM
A one month follow up. Because of this thread I now own a 35L iceco powered cooler, a portable power station, and a folding solar panel.

But it works and I don’t think I’ll need ice again for camping!

donevwil
03-28-2024, 12:42 PM
A one month follow up. Because of this thread I now own a 35L iceco powered cooler, a portable power station, and a folding solar panel.

But it works and I don’t think I’ll need ice again for camping!

Nice, which one did you get? My only wish is that my JP50 had been available with wheels when I bought it, it is very heavy and quite unwieldy when full.

Likes2ridefar
03-28-2024, 12:54 PM
I got the vl35pro https://icecofreezer.com/products/vl35pros-iceco-freezer

It was discounted a bit when I bought it a few weeks ago. The battery and panel were too in a spring sale but no longer.

It is heavy at 48lbs empty. It is nearly silent and cools incredibly quickly requiring very little power.

Likes2ridefar
03-28-2024, 12:56 PM
https://i.ibb.co/F4d2n9J/IMG-0997.jpg (https://ibb.co/4R0zJcM)
https://i.ibb.co/kGL3Pgt/IMG-0996.jpg (https://ibb.co/YN5DV7x)

donevwil
03-28-2024, 01:06 PM
Wow, they've really revamped their lineup and added a lot of optional equipment since I bought mine. I like the look of the your VL, I bought the JP primarily because it was a bit lighter than the aluminum one.

Likes2ridefar
03-28-2024, 01:22 PM
Im impressed with the unit. It’s well built and is easy to use. It came with extras for every part including a complete handle replacement plus adapters to run in the car or at home.

The lid is interesting in that it opens from both sides or is completely removed using both releases at once.

mtb_frk
03-31-2024, 06:11 AM
I`ll give my update also. I ended up getting a yeti roadie 24. I got it from REI, so was able to use my dividend and the 20% coupon on it. So it brought the total down to around $100. I ended up ordering it before the 20% off sale not knowing it was going to start in a few days. But I was able to get them to apply the coupon retroactively.

We took a roadtrip to Disney which was two days of driving each way. I loaded it up with ice packs and the few items that we wanted to keep cool. It worked out great, and fit in the car perfectly.

Likes2ridefar
03-31-2024, 08:22 AM
The roadie 24 is a great cooler. Ours has the cushion adhered to the top. It adds even more weight but is very comfortable to sit on.

p nut
04-02-2024, 07:30 AM
Im impressed with the unit. It’s well built and is easy to use. It came with extras for every part including a complete handle replacement plus adapters to run in the car or at home.

The lid is interesting in that it opens from both sides or is completely removed using both releases at once.

Nice! Looks great.
Looks like they came out with some new models.
I’m going to pick up an APL20. Our Amazon BougeRV works fine but lacks handles to tie it down. On my recent trip to Moab, it got tossed around a bit even with luggage packed all around it.