PDA

View Full Version : OT: Red Auerbach

keno
10-29-2006, 06:08 AM
has died at the age of 89. I was lucky to be in school in the Boston area and see the Celtics play while he was their coach. The biggest surprise in the following link is that he was the Duke basketball coach for what looks like a weekend, or so. He was quite the feisty character and brilliant at what he did.

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/articles/2006/10/28/red_auerbach_timeline/?p1=MEWell_Pos3

keno

stevep
10-29-2006, 06:25 AM
an all time great.
he picked the pockets of every nba general manager and owner for 40 years... and sat smoking his cigar all the while.
a character if there ever was one.

Sandy
10-29-2006, 06:46 AM
Lots of memories back from the time of Red Aeurbach. The Celtics epitomized what teamwork was all about. Great teams and great coach. No selfishness on those teams. Great basketball. They even played great defense.

The only negative about the Celtics back in those days, was the intense arguements that you, Keno, had with Red Auerback about who would be the starting poing guard. You said that you should start, but for some reason, Red always decided on Bob Cousy. Maybe because he could pass, dribble, run, shoot,...., and you had trouble even bouncing the ball..... :rolleyes:

:) Bill Russell :)

trophyoftexas
10-29-2006, 07:10 AM
....I say that because he lknew that to make truely beautiful basketball music you HAD to play on both the white AND the black keys, something that was not a very popular back in the late 50's and early 60's. He was one of sports great personalities and talents, a guy that Bostonians loved and outsiders loved to hate, but also a man that those of us that were TRUE fans of the game appreciated even if his teams were kickin' our butts! Fire up your stogies y'all, in memory and honor of a sports legend! :beer:

Sandy
10-29-2006, 07:20 AM
Yep. He played both keys, very early on, and did it amazingly well. No egos, no nothing. Each player producing what he did best for the team.

I weent from watching the Celtics in undergraduate school to the Nicks (Willis Reed and that bunch) in graduate school- All wonderful team basketball. Then, I came back home to Washington, DC and saw the Wahington Bullets "play". Talk about a rude awakening- The first time I saw them play on tv, I was disgusted. Everyone (like Elvin Hayes) was shooting and no one was passing.... What a disappointment.

Scoring Slaming Supersonic Supersonics Sandy