PDA

View Full Version : OT: More People Will Be Banned Now- Mission Burritos are Trash

ptourkin
07-27-2018, 11:28 AM
More people would be banned if we argued about important things:

"Every once in a while we get some mission burrito apologist popping up in this sub. A few days ago the greatest food writer/critic of our time, Johnathan Gold, passed away. As I read a story about him I came across this quote about the Mission burrito:

“he would pen a takedown of San Francisco’s favorite food that read like pure poetry, or perhaps more likely, given his music background and penchant for hip hop, his version of a diss track: “... monstrous things wrapped in tinfoil, and filled with what would seem to be the contents of an entire margarita-mill dinner, including grilled meat, rice, beans, guacamole, tomatoes, salsa, sour cream, orange cheese, and probably a lot of other things that neither God nor man ever intended to see the inside of a tortilla, much less the soggy steamed pup-tents that are but mandatory up north.””

I think the case is closed. Mission burritos are trash."

https://www.sfchronicle.com/food/article/Los-Angeles-food-critic-Jonathan-Gold-dead-at-57-13094891.php
https://www.reddit.com/r/sandiego/comments/9236nc/san_diego_vs_mission_burrito/?goal=0_c2357fd0a3-c5b67c7cd4-84093397

Avispa
07-27-2018, 11:36 AM
Damn I love California and it's Mexican food... I'll take any trash burrito from there over any here in Florida, that's fer sure!

Now about user bans, OT's and locked threads... I am beginning to think this forum is seriously due for a "topic overhaul" and loosening of the rules.
IMO, there is too much baby sitting and interference on the part of the moderators and too many sensitivities hurt on the part of the users.

C'mon kids! What is this place supposed to be???? Love and Peace on the road, the trail and even the trainer!

..A..

beeatnik
07-27-2018, 11:39 AM
dood....

by the way, I thought you were one of my possible 6. not sure if I feel more slighted or proud of Paceline.

anyway, SF burritos are the Best in the Universe. Why? Because the farther you get from central Mexico (where you still have a sizable Mexican population) the better the burrito as the Burrito is not actually Mexican food but Chicano food. J. Gold was wrong on this one. RIP.

now, the Seattle Fish Taco, that's a bit more complicated.

ptourkin
07-27-2018, 11:46 AM
dood....

by the way, I thought you were one of my possible 6. not sure if I feel more slighted or proud of Paceline.

anyway, SF burritos are the Best in the Universe. Why? Because the farther you get from central Mexico (where you still have a sizable Mexican population) the better the burrito as the Burrito is not actually Mexican food but Chicano food. J. Gold was wrong on this one. RIP.

now, the Seattle Fish Taco, that's a bit more complicated.

Alaphilippe was riding discs yesterday because he's cool and I like how Taylor Phinney talks (*** happened to his nose today?)

SF is to burritos what Golden Road and the rest of LA is to beer.

beeatnik
07-27-2018, 11:48 AM
Alaphilippe was riding discs yesterday because he's cool and I like how Taylor Phinney talks (*** happened to his nose today?)

SF is to burritos what Golden Road and the rest of LA is to beer.

I'm going to look for the article where J. Gold or someone else from an alternative paper claimed the burrito, as we know it, was invented in San Diego. Either way, I've never had a great burrito down there. Well, when I was in my early 20s and a regular on Revolucion in Tijuas, I had a great burrito at the Del Taco off the freeway in Downtown San Diego. Ya, I said it.

And you're right, Golden Road brews some terrible beers. But I direct you to the breweries in the South Bay (your former stomping grounds, no?) and even Beachwood south of LA.

FlashUNC
07-27-2018, 11:51 AM
Mission burritos are great, but I've had a half dozen burritos in San Diego that I thought were better.

beeatnik
07-27-2018, 11:54 AM
Mission burritos are great, but I've had a half dozen burritos in San Diego that I thought were better.

We're talking burritos, right? Not some update or deconstruction put out by a tatted Cordon Bleu grad in a "gastropub."

galgal
07-27-2018, 11:55 AM
Oh man, getting a Mission Burrito and heading over to the Albion was a rather regular feature.

FlashUNC
07-27-2018, 11:59 AM
Where talking burritos, right? Not some update or reconstruction put out by a tatted Cordon Bleu grad in a "gastropub."

Yup. Best one ever was some family owned place in a repurposed Jack in the Box that closed. Had a few others from random trucks that were unbelieveable.

The street cred is in there.

ptourkin
07-27-2018, 12:00 PM
I'm going to look for the article where J. Gold or someone else from an alternative paper claimed the burrito, as we know it, was invented in San Diego. Either way, I've never had a great burrito down there. Well, when I was in my early 20s and a regular on Revolucion in Tijuas, I had a great burrito at the Del Taco off the freeway in Downtown San Diego. Ya, I said it.

And you're right, Golden Road brews some terrible beers. But I direct you to the breweries in the South Bay (your former stomping grounds, no?) and even Beachwood south of LA.

I like Beachwood. ESBC and Three Weavers are excellent and so is HPB.

I don't think people here often make the birthplace argument for the burrito (just the fries within.) El Indio has claimed the term "taquito" but I don't know how serious that is. Everyone just calls it "rolled." I know it existed in LA before them and was probably derived from something else in Mexico.

beeatnik
07-27-2018, 12:01 PM
Yup. Best one ever was some family owned place in a repurposed Jack in the Box that closed. Had a few others from random trucks that were unbelieveable.

hahahah, J, you have zero credibility if you're referring to one of the many Alberto's/Alfredo's offshoots. Oh man.

beeatnik
07-27-2018, 12:05 PM
I like Beachwood. ESBC and Three Weavers are excellent and so is HPB.

I don't think people here often make the birthplace argument for the burrito (just the fries within.) El Indio has claimed the term "taquito" but I don't know how serious that is. Everyone just calls it "rolled." I know it existed in LA before them and was probably derived from something else in Mexico.

As you may know, the corn tortilla is the nutritional foundation of the Mexican diet. So important to the Nation that they were essentially free (government subsidy) for generations. In the few Northern (Narco) states, where beef production exists, the flour tortilla is not only an inferior (yet popular) substitute but Spanish anachronism. But even there what we call a burrito would not have been known. Mexicans would never take good meat and wrap it in a tortilla, flour or otherwise. Tortillas are a substitute for flat bread. As a Central American friend observed, "mexicans can turn anything into a taco."

yinzerniner
07-27-2018, 12:07 PM
More people would be banned if we argued about important things:

"Every once in a while we get some mission burrito apologist popping up in this sub. A few days ago the greatest food writer/critic of our time, Johnathan Gold, passed away. As I read a story about him I came across this quote about the Mission burrito:

“he would pen a takedown of San Francisco’s favorite food that read like pure poetry, or perhaps more likely, given his music background and penchant for hip hop, his version of a diss track: “... monstrous things wrapped in tinfoil, and filled with what would seem to be the contents of an entire margarita-mill dinner, including grilled meat, rice, beans, guacamole, tomatoes, salsa, sour cream, orange cheese, and probably a lot of other things that neither God nor man ever intended to see the inside of a tortilla, much less the soggy steamed pup-tents that are but mandatory up north.””

I think the case is closed. Mission burritos are trash."

https://www.sfchronicle.com/food/article/Los-Angeles-food-critic-Jonathan-Gold-dead-at-57-13094891.php
https://www.reddit.com/r/sandiego/comments/9236nc/san_diego_vs_mission_burrito/?goal=0_c2357fd0a3-c5b67c7cd4-84093397

So now you're saying that all burritos in the Mission are trash because some redditor added their own opinion onto a small excerpt of an obituary which snippeted but a tiny sliver of Mr. Gold's prodigious output? Seems like a bad way to make an argument IMHO.

That being said SD vs SF is a great and delicious argument when it comes to Mexican or Chicano cuisine. All I know is that I've never been stopped by TSA while trying to sneak three burritos with my carry on at SAN.

Gummee
07-27-2018, 12:12 PM
IDK man. IME the farther I've gotten away from the border, the worse the burritos get.

That's especially true here outside DC

M

beeatnik
07-27-2018, 12:14 PM
IDK man. IME the farther I've gotten away from the border, the worse the burritos get.

That's especially true here outside DC

M

I meant Mexican cities on the West Coast.

ptourkin
07-27-2018, 12:20 PM
So now you're saying that all burritos in the Mission are trash because some redditor added their own opinion onto a small excerpt of an obituary which snippeted but a tiny sliver of Mr. Gold's prodigious output? Seems like a bad way to make an argument IMHO.

That being said SD vs SF is a great and delicious argument when it comes to Mexican or Chicano cuisine. All I know is that I've never been stopped by TSA while trying to sneak three burritos with my carry on at SAN.

All burritos wrapped in foil are mushy trash except the ones that are accidently good in spite of that stupidity. As a genre, the Mission is junk. We hold this truth as self evidence of our petty regionalism.

If self-serving snippets are outlawed, we are all outlaws... or something like that.

Salty
07-27-2018, 12:25 PM

Speaking of random trucks, what do you think of "Tacos El Rey" in Berkeley?

Love.

beeatnik
07-27-2018, 12:29 PM
Burritos are better in NorCal because there are more farm workers in proximity. As pizza is the manifestation of New World bounty, the burrito represents abundance for the Mexican-American peasant/campesino/farm worker. The United Farm Workers movement could never be born in San Diego County or LA for that matter. That social context also produces a hybrid food which achieves its greatest expression North of the Fields.

White people arguing burritos is so weird.

AngryScientist
07-27-2018, 12:35 PM
burritos are child's play.

the real so-cal hotly contested lunchable is carne asada.

i have the privilege to spend about a week every year in the imperial valley. there have been many a lunchtime brawl concerning the best carne asada.

damn - i love some good carne asada.

also any west coast burrito is better than a NYC burrito.

CMiller
07-27-2018, 12:40 PM
Tacos > Burritos.

FIGHT ME!

tylercheung
07-27-2018, 12:42 PM
I will extoll the virtues of Cilantro Grill, found in a Chevron gas station off of 170 in the San Fernando Valley.

not sure if they are "mission style" though...

tylercheung
07-27-2018, 12:43 PM
Speaking of which, there was this other place in El monte or downey - basically just the meat in a tortilla, no other fillings...

yinzerniner
07-27-2018, 12:44 PM
Burritos are better in NorCal because there are more farm workers in proximity. As pizza is the manifestation of New World bounty, the burrito represents abundance for the Mexican-American peasant/campesino/farm worker. The United Farm Workers movement could never be born in San Diego County or LA for that matter. That social context also produces a hybrid food which achieves its greatest expression North of the Fields.

Even weirder are yellow people like me who live on the east coast arguing about west coast white people arguing about Mexican food. Doesn't matter who wins, as we Easterners lose since we have the WORST Mexican cuisine possible.

But at least it's not skyline chili......

jtakeda
07-27-2018, 12:47 PM
Tacos > Burritos.

FIGHT ME!
Yup

Paisa@.com>mission burritos

kevinvc
07-27-2018, 12:57 PM
Coincidentally, I opened this thread while eating a chorizo breakfast burrito. It's mediocre, but better than most here in Portland.

New Mexican food is it's own genre, distinct and inherently superior to Americanized "Mexican" food and infinitely superior to the abomination known as "tex-mex". This is a hill I will die on.

Ozz
07-27-2018, 01:05 PM
Coincidentally, I opened this thread while eating a chorizo breakfast burrito. It's mediocre, but better than most here in Portland.

New Mexican food is it's own genre, distinct and inherently superior to Americanized "Mexican" food and infinitely superior to the abomination known as "tex-mex". This is a hill I will die on.

Anybody from Phoenix ever to go Richardson's? Described as New Mexico cuisine

http://richardsonsnm.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Richardsons-Menu2.18.13.pdf

I used to go there a lifetime ago....remember it as pretty good....especially the Pork Chop Chorizo!

Cheers.

pasadena
07-27-2018, 01:09 PM

LOL
So true, so true

dare we delve into cultural appropriation?! Naw, let the ban marks heal first

To the OP
Johnathan Gold was my neighbor. Really sad his passing.

jr59
07-27-2018, 01:14 PM
Damn I love California and it's Mexican food... I'll take any trash burrito from there over any here in Florida, that's fer sure!

Now about user bans, OT's and locked threads... I am beginning to think this forum is seriously due for a "topic overhaul" and loosening of the rules.
IMO, there is too much baby sitting and interference on the part of the moderators and too many sensitivities hurt on the part of the users.

C'mon kids! What is this place supposed to be???? Love and Peace on the road, the trail and even the trainer!

..A..

Sorry sir, I was the one that asked for the banned thread to be locked. Sorry about the thread drift into an obituary. Seeing I’m still alive, it was uncomfortable to say the least

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

azrider
07-27-2018, 01:16 PM
hahahah, J, you have zero credibility if you're referring to one of the many Alberto's/Alfredo's offshoots. Oh man.

Too funny.

I love the irony of the Filibertos that took over a Taco Bell down on S side of town here in Scottsdale

DukeHorn
07-27-2018, 01:19 PM
I live in the Mission and a burrito sometimes pops up on the menu for me when we're too lazy to cook (mainly when lengua is available), but the missus won't touch a burrito though she loves a good shawarma.

However, it's for bang for the buck/convenience. BTW Menudo>taco>burrito

I'll move on to a Texas favorite. If you're ever in Phoenix, try out Little Miss BBQ, it compares favorably to Franklin's BBQ in Austin--everything is good there, turkey, brisket, ribs, etc..

Rudy
07-27-2018, 01:20 PM

Vaya con Dios, mi amigo. Bury me in Chimayó.

jtbadge
07-27-2018, 01:20 PM
I'll move on to a Texas favorite. If you're ever in Phoenix, try out Little Miss BBQ, it compares favorably to Franklin's BBQ in Austin--everything is good there, turkey, brisket, ribs, etc..

Speaking of things that it's so weird for white people to argue about.

CDollarsign
07-27-2018, 02:03 PM
Are Mission burritos better than Chipotle?

Salty
07-27-2018, 02:06 PM

Presumably they don't send as many people to the hospital.

ColonelJLloyd
07-27-2018, 02:14 PM
But at least it's not skyline chili......

I take that to mean you find the "Greeks serving a bastardization of a bastardization of a bastardization" to be a culinary experiment that should have died a quick death decades ago and not that you're a Gold Star man. ;)

pasadena
07-27-2018, 02:21 PM

Chipotle is Mexican food in the same way Steven Segal is a master UFC fighter.

kevinvc
07-27-2018, 02:50 PM
Vaya con Dios, mi amigo. Bury me in Chimayó.

Dios mio! I'd be afraid that the magic sand would bring you back to life and I don't think a zombie cyclist eating stuffed sopapillas is a good idea.

beeatnik
07-27-2018, 02:54 PM

And yet you could easily substitute their carnitas, barbacoa and pinto beans at any immigrant Mexican party and no one would complain.

To paraphrase Biggie, what is authentic?

Heisenberg
07-27-2018, 02:58 PM
And yet you could easily substitute their carnitas, barbacoa and pinto beans at any immigrant Mexican party and no one would complain.

To paraphrase Biggie, what is authentic?

i'm guessing you've imbibed in ugly delicious?

i find the whole burrito concept to be one of total drunken or starving convenience trumping flavor, texture, or experience. assigning it any sort of high-reaching culinary hierarchy is confounding, at best. there are okay burritos, and there are ****ty burritos, but it doesn't seem an item worthy of much attention past that.

give me a good cabeza taco any day of the week.

beeatnik
07-27-2018, 03:05 PM
i'm guessing you've imbibed in ugly delicious?

i find the whole burrito concept to be one of total drunken or starving convenience trumping flavor, texture, or experience. assigning it any sort of high-reaching culinary hierarchy is confounding, at best. there are okay burritos, and there are ****ty burritos, but it doesn't seem an item worthy of much attention past that.

give me a good cabeza taco any day of the week.

They did what they could in 45 minutes and they wasted J. Gold's participation.

I grew up within walking distance of half the spots they visited. One thing they neglected to mention: mexican immigrants (and Northern Mexicans) love mariscos (seafood). Dining out means mariscos, period. There's a culinary binary, street food (tacos, tortas, antojitos) and mariscos. If you're ever in Boyle Heights, skip the tacos at Mariscos Jalisco; go with an aguachile then roll over to the truck which parks on Soto between the Bank of America and Chase. Fill up on shrimp there.

cmg
07-27-2018, 04:14 PM

love it, masterful depiction, instant imagery. hilarious......

joosttx
07-27-2018, 04:29 PM
Best Mexican food is in Parlier CA. As a general rule anything west of HWY 5 is trash. Mission burritos are not Mexican food. Best Mexican food outside of Parlier CA is in Texas. Complicated Venn Diagram but some things are just complicated.

This is all you need to know.

ptourkin
07-27-2018, 04:55 PM
Best Mexican food is in Parlier CA. As a general rule anything west of HWY 5 is trash. Mission burritos are not Mexican food. Best Mexican food outside of Parlier CA is in Texas. Complicated Venn Diagram but some things are just complicated.

Best Mexican food within .77 Strava miles of my house - from Tijuana (not hipsters):

https://image.zmenu.com/menupic/2119033/6777f37c-0965-47ab-9a93-1403d4c3afe5.jpg

https://sduptownnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/La-Taqueria-Vegiee-truck.jpg

Next to http://mmm-yoso.typepad.com/.a/6a00d83451b81169e201a73d9231bf970d-500wi

never not a line

Heisenberg
07-27-2018, 05:03 PM

central valley is prime. or the imperial valley.

the trucks, cabron.

or, as alluded to, mariscos en domingo. full stop.

OtayBW
07-27-2018, 05:05 PM
Well - I wil have to through my fave local spot in there as well. Pretty authentic food from the owner's hometown, Ixtapalapa, a borough in the SW part of the DF. This ain't no Taco Bell....

Climb01742
07-27-2018, 05:11 PM
If you get up to Healdsburg, check out Taqueria Guadalajara. Modest place, great food. Ate there six straight days once. Yummy.

joosttx
07-27-2018, 05:17 PM
I present to you Arteaga Mexican Restaurant. It so good we ate there, I got food posioning, puked my brains out, the next day rode 90 miles of gravel with 9000ft of climbing, and that next day went out of our way to go back to the place and eat.

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/853/42776913275_6f04bf3237_c.jpg

jr59
07-27-2018, 05:17 PM
Stop it you guys. The closest thing we have around here is Moe’s, and it’s not to good.

You west cost dudes are making me hungry, even though I couldn’t eat anything like that. It all sounds so good

joosttx
07-27-2018, 05:20 PM
Stop it you guys. The closest thing we have around here is Moe’s, and it’s not to good.

You west cost dudes are making me hungry, even though I couldn’t eat anything like that. It all sounds so good

Im making myself hungry!

Bostic
07-27-2018, 05:20 PM
The original king of the Super Burrito is El Faro on 20th & Folsom in San Francisco. I pretty much grew up there as a kid in the 70's as my father painted a lot of their signs and did artwork for the owner and family. El Faro used to bring latin bands to the Bay Area for concerts. I got dragged to the Cow Palace in 1983 to see Menudo, pre-Ricky Martin.

beeatnik
07-27-2018, 05:29 PM
Best Mexican food within .77 Strava miles of my house - from Tijuana (not hipsters):

https://sduptownnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/La-Taqueria-Vegiee-truck.jpg

Don't get me started on vegan-mex. That will definitely get me banned.

Here's an infuriating example of cultural appropriation and tone deaf marketing/branding:

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/858/42963428734_9b943336d8_z.jpg

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/929/42777063325_37cc3909c4_b.jpg

As I rode by to a bloc across the street I gave them the proverbial Middle Finger that rose from the blood, sweat and tears of every member past and present of La Raza Cósmica.

Tho I dig my pal Christian's vegan-mex bombardments on his insta feed
https://www.instagram.com/christian_townsend/

Heisenberg
07-27-2018, 05:40 PM

Here's an infuriating example of cultural appropriation and tone deaf marketing/branding:

As I rode by to a bloc across the street I gave them the proverbial Middle Finger that rose from the blood, sweat and tears of every member past and present of La Raza Cósmica.

think of the comic sans! sins?

ptourkin
07-27-2018, 05:42 PM
Don't get me started on vegan-mex. That will definitely get me banned.]

Decolonize your diet, bro.

Also, these folks are old and have had a physical space in Tijuana for quite a while. They are not of the La Gracia crowd (if you were aware of that wonderful story.)
Tell Hirshman about your A Bloc love

Pokez FTW cholo goth is life

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpVcBrD7dRw

beeatnik
07-27-2018, 05:43 PM
think of the comic sans! sins?

That hood is still 80% working class Mexican. Imagine opening a brewery in the Hayes Valley and calling it Beer for Real Men. But in the Hayes the choice of typography would probably raise more eyebrows.

beeatnik
07-27-2018, 05:46 PM
Decolonize your diet, bro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpVcBrD7dRw

That's the most ignorantly condescending comment I've ever read on PL. Well, directed at me at least.

I hear ya, tho. Meat is Murder. But so is poverty.

ptourkin
07-27-2018, 05:48 PM
That's the most ignorantly condescending comment I've ever read on PL. Well, directed at me at least.

I hear ya, tho. Meat is Murder. But so is poverty.

It's a thing - not a quote from me. I'm only vaguely aware of exactly what they're about. I was going to link the site but it's almost unreadable: http://decolonizeyourdiet.org/

beeatnik
07-27-2018, 05:54 PM
ah, as Richie says, we can hang. that site may change my life. all i need is courage, consciousness and initiative. who knows I may be able to break free from my family's legacy of cancer.

oh, will forever be grateful to Vice for introducing me to the Cholo Goth subculture.

joosttx
07-27-2018, 06:12 PM
That hood is still 80% working class Mexican. Imagine opening a brewery in the Hayes Valley and calling it Beer for Real Men. But in the Hayes the choice of typography would probably raise more eyebrows.

Dont knock the Bier Garten.... ending point of the world famous thursday night Stammitsch Ride.

joosttx
07-27-2018, 06:15 PM

Vegan-mex.... Satan just created a new ring of hell for those associated.

galgal
07-27-2018, 06:20 PM
Apart from making me very hungry, this thread is rekindling my periodic plan to move back to West Coast. Since that will not be happening overnight, may I inquire if anyone can recommend Mexican food in NYC comparable to West Coast? I know, go ahead and laugh, just checking.

ptourkin
07-27-2018, 06:30 PM
ah, as Richie says, we can hang. that site may change my life. all i need is courage, consciousness and initiative. who knows I may be able to break free from my family's legacy of cancer.

oh, will forever be grateful to Vice for introducing me to the Cholo Goth subculture.

Leafar = Rafa, who owns Pokez,vegan mex circa 1994. I guess he's going to hell. If not for that than for marrying Kat Von D who is apparently anti-vax.

beeatnik
07-27-2018, 06:33 PM
Apart from making me very hungry, this thread is rekindling my periodic plan to move back to West Coast. Since that will not be happening overnight, may I inquire if anyone can recommend Mexican food in NYC comparable to West Coast? I know, go ahead and laugh, just checking.

Recommendation not a recommendation. Based on signage and regional origin, a few hole-in-the wall spots in the East Village near Tompkins Square park appeared promising. I hear good things about Casa Mezcal tho reviews may be mixed.

And then there's Cosme.

Bruce K
07-27-2018, 06:36 PM
New last cal place here in town - Machaca

Mexican street tacos, ceviches, etc

Great stuff.

BK

galgal
07-27-2018, 06:59 PM
Recommendation not a recommendation. Based on signage and regional origin, a few hole-in-the wall spots in the East Village near Tompkins Square park appeared promising. I hear good things about Casa Mezcal tho reviews may be mixed.

And then there's Cosme.

Ha! So happens I lived for many years in EV right by Tompkins Square and yeah there were a rotating series of hole in the wall Mex joints on Ave A, a block away. Not bad but IMO not as good as the ones I used to frequent in SF on Valencia. Restaurant turnover in EV is brutal. A few months ago that whole stretch was basically boarded up with for sale signs. Am in Brooklyn now but will swing by to check out the latest if not greatest. And yes, there's Cosme.
The restaurant scene in EV is so weird. One minute I'm hanging out in an Italian or Mexican joint with friends from those places who love the food and a few months later the restaurants are gone, replaced by a bank or a 7/11 or one more frat boy bar. End of rant, sorry.

joosttx
07-27-2018, 09:41 PM
Here is the other Mexican "restaurant" that is outstanding in Parlier....

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/936/41871639880_ccee93f60f_c.jpg

PeregrineA1
07-27-2018, 10:00 PM
I will add, as a resident of the County with one of the largest Hispanic populations outside of Mexico, that there are some fine burritos at Oasis Mexican Food in Ridgecrest and at Tita’s Pupuseria in Buttonwillow. The OC has the really good ones though.

beeatnik
07-27-2018, 10:12 PM
North of Buttonwillow, exit off I5. Not the best

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/850/28794355947_cc64af9e9c_z.jpg

joosttx
07-27-2018, 10:15 PM
North of Buttonwillow, exit off I5. Not the best

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/850/28794355947_cc64af9e9c_z.jpg

what side of I5? this is important to know.

alexstar
07-27-2018, 10:59 PM
as a Chicano with deep roots in SF and the Bay Area, you can have my Mission-style burritos when you pry them from my cold, dead hands ;)

All Mexican Food Is Beautiful, even US regional variants like New Mexican. I will also begrudgingly admit that Tex-Mex has its place... in Texas.

beeatnik
07-28-2018, 12:24 AM
as a Chicano with deep roots in SF and the Bay Area, you can have my Mission-style burritos when you pry them from my cold, dead hands ;)

All Mexican Food Is Beautiful, even US regional variants like New Mexican. I will also begrudgingly admit that Tex-Mex has its place... in Texas.

POTY

and, ya, this thread made me hungry. my hunger trumped my narcissistic, entitled, compulsive drive to take flickas of all my meals. sorry gueys!

homemade tortillas (corn, always), pork belly cochinita pibil, esquites and an Arnold Palmer Sangria thing. legit

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/849/29815068578_cb350e6927_b.jpg

beeatnik
07-28-2018, 12:39 AM
I will add, as a resident of the County with one of the largest Hispanic populations outside of Mexico, that there are some fine burritos at Oasis Mexican Food in Ridgecrest and at Tita’s Pupuseria in Buttonwillow. The OC has the really good ones though.

and, peregrine, Mexicans do not refer to themselves as Hispanic. well, Mexicans in New Mexico do, but they're deluded about their ethnic origins. not to put too much of a fine point on it, but go ahead and call a Scot, English. to paraphrase Walter Sobchak, the preferred nomenclature is Mexican, Chicano or Latino, depending on national origin and degree of personal obfuscation.

kevinvc
07-28-2018, 04:15 PM
and, peregrine, Mexicans do not refer to themselves as Hispanic. well, Mexicans in New Mexico do, but they're deluded about their ethnic origins. not to put too much of a fine point on it, but go ahead and call a Scot, English. to paraphrase Walter Sobchak, the preferred nomenclature is Mexican, Chicano or Latino, depending on national origin and degree of personal obfuscation.

Interesting word choices. Care to explain what you think you're talking about?

beeatnik
07-28-2018, 04:49 PM
Interesting word choices. Care to explain what you think you're talking about?

Most Latinos in New Mexico are not from Spain. Few are 100% European. Spaniards did not bring women to Mexico and the Southwest. Now, if you trace national origin, we're talking Mexico. Why don't these people (New Mexicans) just say Mexican? A person in Appalachia who is Scots Irish will not refer to herself as British. A person of Mexican descent in New Mexico is not Hispanic.

Anyway, the obfuscation part refers to cloudy genealogy. We believe what we want to believe.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2000/12/mistaken-identity-the-case-of-new-mexicos-hidden-jews/378454/

Jaybee
07-28-2018, 05:44 PM
Most Latinos in New Mexico are not from Spain. Few are 100% European. Spaniards did not bring women to Mexico and the Southwest. Now, if you trace national origin, we're talking Mexico. Why don't these people (New Mexicans) just say Mexican? A person in Appalachia who is Scots Irish will not refer to herself as British. A person of Mexican descent in New Mexico is not Hispanic.

Anyway, the obfuscation part refers to cloudy genealogy. We believe what we want to believe.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2000/12/mistaken-identity-the-case-of-new-mexicos-hidden-jews/378454/

I will corroborate this. There is a group of people in Northern NM primarily who claim heritage back to the original conquistadores. Some of them will claim to be nothing but Euro Spanish, and they look down upon los mestizos. Most of the Mexicans I grew up with in NM are not like this though- they claim to be Mexican thru and thru.

bikinchris
07-28-2018, 05:53 PM
A great Mexican place we went to was when we left the Shelby factory near Las Vegas and were heading for Hoover Dam. All members of a family. I doubt if I could ever find it again.

We didn't really enjoy New Mexican food. Good taste, but not enough veggies, except hatch chilis.

We like Tex-Mex and the Papasito's in Houston always satisfies.

beeatnik
07-28-2018, 06:16 PM
back to food for a moment.

at a 4 year old's birthday party this morning. interior decor from the pages of Dwell/DWR and breakfast tacos from a spot that the foodistas are hyped about:

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/932/28810332727_0a94dd3999_b.jpg

HomeState, it's not awful but that first image below should communicate all you need to know

https://www.myhomestate.com/

Rudy
07-28-2018, 06:59 PM
I will corroborate this. There is a group of people in Northern NM primarily who claim heritage back to the original conquistadores. Some of them will claim to be nothing but Euro Spanish, and they look down upon los mestizos. Most of the Mexicans I grew up with in NM are not like this though- they claim to be Mexican thru and thru.

This is a common distinction in N NM. Very much an arrogance of conquest. It is also thread drift. Eat blue corn, red chile, and pinto beans. You’ll be golden.

shinomaster
07-28-2018, 07:17 PM
*** is a Mission burrito?

ColonelJLloyd
07-28-2018, 07:53 PM
*** is a Mission burrito?

The authentic tradition.

https://target.scene7.com/is/image/Target/16872615?wid=1400

shinomaster
07-28-2018, 11:29 PM
I just inhaled a 2lb pastor burrito ( plus loads of habenero salsa) and raced up a two mile climb in 90 degree heat without getting sick!!

doomridesout
07-28-2018, 11:40 PM
You guys are making me bummed to move far upstate again where there is very little good Mexican food. Some good stuff is available in Sacramento (Chandos Tacos, not a deep cut for the area but good AF). When I go back to Humboldt there's too much too-baked hippie influence to find a good burrito.

shinomaster
07-29-2018, 03:12 AM
You guys are making me bummed to move far upstate again where there is very little good Mexican food. Some good stuff is available in Sacramento (Chandos Tacos, not a deep cut for the area but good AF). When I go back to Humboldt there's too much too-baked hippie influence to find a good burrito.

Portland is rich with good Taquerias IMHO.

shinomaster
07-29-2018, 03:45 AM
FWIW... when I was in Mexico City I ate some really good Pastor. Then my luck ran out... my gut health has never been the same. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAKp-QOa7fo

ThasFACE
07-29-2018, 10:40 AM
I like how Taylor Phinney talks
Taking this totally out of context and removing any sarcasm that may or may not have been attached, but sweet mercy it's embarrassingly painful to listen to him on the nbcsn coverage. They can't just have Jens fill that time? Or maybe have Bob Roll doing a 'local eats' segment or something?

rrudoff
07-29-2018, 01:19 PM
FWIW... when I was in Mexico City I ate some really good Pastor. Then my luck ran out... my gut health has never been the same. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAKp-QOa7fo

My cousin who has lived in Mexico City 20 years working with an NGO took us the the place in the YouTube clip, El Huequito, it was really good and I have had a lot of Al Pastor in the Bay Area over the years. Then he took us to get freshly grilled Barracuda Tacos at Tacos El Patan. They were amazing from a literal hole in the wall in a courtyard in a street market. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180729/ff1dd66fe39b9fa949343b7505fd2c33.jpg

Climb01742
07-29-2018, 01:23 PM
My cousin who has lived in Mexico City 20 years working with an NGO took us the the place in the YouTube clip, El Huequito, it was really good and I have had a lot of Al Pastor in the Bay Area over the years. Then he took us to get freshly grilled Barracuda Tacos at Tacos El Patan. They were amazing from a literal hole in the wall in a courtyard in a street market. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180729/ff1dd66fe39b9fa949343b7505fd2c33.jpg

rrudoff, setting food aside for a moment...I looked at your location(s)...mother of mercy, whatever you do for a living, I wish I did...those are some fine locations.;):):p

OtayBW
07-29-2018, 02:22 PM
rrudoff, setting food aside for a moment...I looked at your location(s)...mother of mercy, whatever you do for a living, I wish I did...those are some fine locations.;):):pSafe to say he's not a food critic? :confused: :)

beeatnik
07-29-2018, 03:18 PM

Guillermo's Law is an internet adage asserting that "As an online discussion on Mexican cuisine grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Tex-Mex approaches 1";[2][3] that is, if an online Mexican food discussion (regardless of topic or scope) goes on long enough, sooner or later someone will call Tex-Mex an abomination.

Forgot to mention, at the moment, the best Mexican restaurants in the US are in Southeast LA (Bell, Bell Gardens, Huntington Park). Partially due to diversity of migration and somewhat due to drug money (I know). Here's a non-comprehensive list:

https://www.kcet.org/food/food-tour-8-must-try-restaurants-in-southeast-la-county

joosttx
07-29-2018, 04:33 PM
Guillermo's Law is an internet adage asserting that "As an online discussion on Mexican cuisine grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Tex-Mex approaches 1";[2][3] that is, if an online Mexican food discussion (regardless of topic or scope) goes on long enough, sooner or later someone will call Tex-Mex an abomination.

Forgot to mention, at the moment, the best Mexican restaurants in the US are in Southeast LA (Bell, Bell Gardens, Huntington Park). Partially due to diversity of migration and somewhat due to drug money (I know). Here's a non-comprehensive list:

https://www.kcet.org/food/food-tour-8-must-try-restaurants-in-southeast-la-county

and some call Alexander McQueen's clothes brute-ish

shinomaster
07-29-2018, 04:46 PM
When I was in Mexico City I did see a few Burrito places and imho it's Mexican food. Not traditional, but food is always evolving. Burritos are basically the contents of a dinner plate wrapped up in a tortilla. A Torta is the same thing but on a Portuguese bun.

shinomaster
07-29-2018, 04:47 PM
This is NOT MExican food. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0j2AvAkL9Y

paredown
07-29-2018, 05:14 PM

Tho I dig my pal Christian's vegan-mex bombardments on his insta feed
https://www.instagram.com/christian_townsend/

Isn't this just a bad pun--sin carne (asks the vegetarian)?

beeatnik
07-29-2018, 05:20 PM
in my outrage, I missed the possible pun. i just can't get over calling people of low socio-economic status murderers. the 70 year old who lives a block away never had the luxury to learn that in our society we have choices about what we consume. a mexican catholic is not a buddhist.

http://maps.latimes.com/neighborhoods/neighborhood/highland-park/

The percentage of Latino people is high for the county. 72.4%

$45,478 median household income (2008 dollars), about average for the city of Los Angeles but low for the county

14.3% of residents 25 and older have a four-year degree, about average for the city of Los Angeles and about average for the county

There are 2,705 families headed by single parents. The rate is 21.1%, high for the city of Los Angeles and high for the county

shinomaster
07-29-2018, 05:43 PM
I make vegan or vegetarian Mexican food all the time without even trying and it’s so effing good and healthy. Pinto beans, salsa, guacamole, lettuce, lime juice, habeneros, salsa aguacate, cactus. in Mexico they eat lots of vegetarian tacos, like Rajas con crema, cactus, mushrooms etc..

joosttx
07-29-2018, 05:44 PM
in my outrage, I missed the possible pun. i just can't get over calling people of low socio-economic status murderers. the 70 year old who lives a block away never had the luxury to learn that in our society we have choices about what we consume. a mexican catholic is not a buddhist.

http://maps.latimes.com/neighborhoods/neighborhood/highland-park/

The percentage of Latino people is high for the county. 72.4%

$45,478 median household income (2008 dollars), about average for the city of Los Angeles but low for the county

14.3% of residents 25 and older have a four-year degree, about average for the city of Los Angeles and about average for the county

There are 2,705 families headed by single parents. The rate is 21.1%, high for the city of Los Angeles and high for the county

Prosperity brings peace

ptourkin
07-29-2018, 06:04 PM
I make vegan or vegetarian Mexican food all the time without even trying and it’s so effing good and healthy. Pinto beans, salsa, guacamole, lettuce, lime juice, habeneros, salsa aguacate, cactus. in Mexico they eat lots of vegetarian tacos, like Rajas con crema, cactus, mushrooms etc..

I spent three weeks in a small village in Sinaloa as a vegan. I didn't call anyone a murderer and was never hungry. Unintentionally vegan options abound. Three weeks in Mexico City as a vegan would make me fat af.

beeatnik
07-29-2018, 08:57 PM

I spent three weeks in a small village in Sinaloa as a vegan. I didn't call anyone a murderer and was never hungry. Unintentionally vegan options abound. Three weeks in Mexico City as a vegan would make me fat af.

Are you cats being intentionally obtuse? You want to suggest that the average American has vegan options because the fries at McDonald's are so good?

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/741/22505451005_678840a765.jpg

joosttx
07-29-2018, 09:04 PM
Are you cats being intentionally obtuse? You want to suggest that the average American has vegan options because the fries at McDonald's are so good?

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/741/22505451005_678840a765.jpg

the mean or average isnt a good statistic to use in large, diverse, and homogenously clumped populations. And I am not talking about bad mole sauce.

beeatnik
07-29-2018, 09:09 PM
the mean or average isnt a good statistic to use in large, diverse, and homogenously clumped populations. And I am not talking about bad mole sauce.

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/magazine-17136245/intimate-portrait-of-mexico-s-mennonite-community

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mennonites_in_Mexico

likebikes
07-29-2018, 09:25 PM
oreos are vegan, and this thread is messed up