PDA

View Full Version : Tubeless Road, Gravel Wheels

jwess1234
07-26-2018, 10:39 AM
Looking for wisdom of the crowd here on wheelsets for a new build. Looking to build an Open UP to serve as a road bike / gravel bike to consolidate the quiver to meet San Francisco apartment. Mostly on the road with a 700C wheel and then eventually will get a 650b for Marin area trails.

Here is what I was thinking for specs:

700C
100x12 and 142x12
Tubeless
Center Lock
Possibly Carbon
Less than 1500 grams

Thanks for any advice / suggestions!

yinzerniner
07-26-2018, 10:52 AM
Tons of hub choices for both although DT240 or Industry 9 Centerlock are the lightest, and they should be able to get in a set of moderate section wheels (~30mm deep) around 1500g for less than $1500 new and hand built.

If you don't mind going slightly heavier than you can't beat this deal. I have a set that weights in at ~1580 with tape, so 20g less than spec, and they are unfrigginbelievable. HUGE inner and outer dimensions of 23/32mm.

https://www.theproscloset.com/products/reynolds-atr-carbon-tubeless-700c-wheelset-1

dem
07-26-2018, 12:24 PM
Yup, 240S+Light-bicycle is tough to beat for price/performance.

Been hammering the heck out of a set for 5000+ miles.

macaroon
07-26-2018, 02:28 PM
I've got DT350s, DT RR421 DB rims, Sapim D-Light spokes (28 F & R), brass nipples; think they weighed 1660g.

Alloy nipples and CX ray spokes should get you to 1600g. It'd be cheaper to buy a carbon seatpost to get you the rest of the way.

yinzerniner
07-26-2018, 02:43 PM
I've got DT350s, DT RR421 DB rims, Sapim D-Light spokes (28 F & R), brass nipples; think they weighed 1660g.

Alloy nipples and CX ray spokes should get you to 1600g. It'd be cheaper to buy a carbon seatpost to get you the rest of the way.

The DT RR421 seems like it's completely different than what the OP is looking for. Their 20/24/21 inner/outer/height which should be fine for everyday slower or super windy conditions riding, but they'll be pretty bad at cutting through the wind as any tire above 23mm will bulge wider than 25mm with the 20mm ID so the front face will create extra drag, and 21mm deep is also very non-aero friendly.

At 430g their pretty heavy for 21mm deep as well. The Boyd Altamonts, HED Belgium, Easton R90 SL or even the new Grail is probably a better choice with comparable weights for alloy.

CMiller
07-26-2018, 03:08 PM
I've done exactly this for a Berkeley apartment. White Industries CLD to DT Swiss XR331 28x32 with DT Revolution spokes and aluminum nipples will get you under 1500 grams, in 650b or 700c. It's a wide rim so if you want skinny road tires it's not the best, but a great option for 650b either way.

macaroon
07-26-2018, 03:21 PM
The Boyd Altamonts, HED Belgium, Easton R90 SL or even the new Grail is probably a better choice with comparable weights for alloy.

Looking at the OPs brief, all of those rims would be worse since they're all heavier than the DT rims?

RobJ
07-26-2018, 03:48 PM
Depends too on what your definition of "road" is.. If you are riding casually on the roads, commuting etc. then a shallower rim would be fine. But if you are training, group rides, fast paced rides etc. then you probably want to opt for something slightly deeper. Carbon of course adds some $$ to the equation. And as noted, if you are going relatively skinny on the road tire, too wide of wheel (internal) will cause some issues. But after running on the roads a set of Bon Jon's that measure out to 37.5, not quite sure I see why I would run 28's again ;)

Yinzer's note on the Reynolds is spot on. I have a set from TPC in 650 and they are excellent wheels and heck of a price. Also have a set of handbuilt (by forum member) DT350's on Light Bicycle carbon tubeless rims that are quite nice. Quite a few have had good experiences with Light.

yinzerniner
07-26-2018, 03:53 PM
Looking at the OPs brief, all of those rims would be worse since they're all heavier than the DT rims?
It appears that the OP wanted the deepest section rims that would get a set near 1500g, in alloy the choices are not 21mm deep rims.

They are all heavier by 2-5% or 10-20g per rim but they all are 25-27mm or 20-30% deeper and definitely more aero, all while keeping similar if not larger ID. In terms of fit and finish they are all heads and shoulders above DT. And sorry, meant to say the Altamont Lites, not the regular Altamonts.

If the OP was going to go with the lightest possible build with alloy rims then the XR331 would be a better choice than the RR421.

DT makes great hubs and spokes, but their rims are simply OK.

jwess1234
07-26-2018, 03:58 PM
Thank you all so far!

So, I would likely be running a 28 or 25 tubeless for commuting mostly on this wheelset.

I read the Reynolds ATR you wouldn't want to go below a 28. So that is likely the outer limit of internal width.

At first I might run something around 38-40 in the trails on this wheelset, but later on I hope to add to the wheel quiver with a 650b wider (and possibly hookless) wheel.

FR8CAR
07-26-2018, 09:45 PM
November RCG might fit your needs and budget. I’ve had a set for about a month and commute on tubeless 28s and Bon Jons. Fast, versatile, pretty light, tough. On grails previously.

Miller76
07-26-2018, 10:00 PM
Tons of hub choices for both although DT240 or Industry 9 Centerlock are the lightest, and they should be able to get in a set of moderate section wheels (~30mm deep) around 1500g for less than $1500 new and hand built.

If you don't mind going slightly heavier than you can't beat this deal. I have a set that weights in at ~1580 with tape, so 20g less than spec, and they are unfrigginbelievable. HUGE inner and outer dimensions of 23/32mm.

https://www.theproscloset.com/products/reynolds-atr-carbon-tubeless-700c-wheelset-1

Wow this looks like a great deal and something that would be perfect for my Mason Bokeh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oldpotatoe
07-27-2018, 08:46 AM
It appears that the OP wanted the deepest section rims that would get a set near 1500g, in alloy the choices are not 21mm deep rims.

They are all heavier by 2-5% or 10-20g per rim but they all are 25-27mm or 20-30% deeper and definitely more aero, all while keeping similar if not larger ID. In terms of fit and finish they are all heads and shoulders above DT. And sorry, meant to say the Altamont Lites, not the regular Altamonts.

If the OP was going to go with the lightest possible build with alloy rims then the XR331 would be a better choice than the RR421.

Boyd rims ARE very nice and 50% more expensive. I wouldn't say their fit and finish are 50% better than DT(which are the flatest, roundest rims I have ever built)..IMHO, of course.

fignon's barber
07-27-2018, 08:50 AM
Wow this looks like a great deal and something that would be perfect for my Mason Bokeh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Says the condition is "blemishes and other imperfections". No warranty. On a carbon wheel? Pass.

veloduffer
07-27-2018, 09:31 AM
I had November Cycles build me a set of gravel-road from my Seven (see my pics in custom bike section).

Easton 90 SL rims
Industry 9 hubs (20/28)
DT spokes
IIRC the weight was low 1500s.
I am running Continental GP4000 II 700x28 tires but inflated are more like 700x32.
About $1100.

They feel light for road use and good on gravel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

yinzerniner
07-27-2018, 11:16 AM
Boyd rims ARE very nice and 50% more expensive. I wouldn't say their fit and finish are 50% better than DT(which are the flatest, roundest rims I have ever built)..IMHO, of course.

I only see $98.60 vs $105 for the price difference. Are you saying that dt gives that huge a discount for their rims? That does change the equation a bit, but I still think the difference in total price is worth it as its $50-70 out of a $900 or so build with a nicer all around rim.

Says the condition is "blemishes and other imperfections". No warranty. On a carbon wheel? Pass.

I've purchased four sets of carbon wheels from TPC with that same description and condition, and have only gotten wheels which had the most minute of finish or paint defects. Add to the fact the great majority of their product is name brand so the manufacturing process is a known quality. That combined with their return policy, I wouldn't hesitate to purchase similar products again.

polyhistoric
07-27-2018, 01:22 PM
Check the newly announced Stan's Grail CB7 - seems to tick all your boxes.

https://www.notubes.com/catalog/product/view/id/349040/s/grail-cb7-pro-wheelset/category/4/

For something more handbuilt - Next Cycling released the Rule, one wheel to rule them all:

https://nextcycling.com/products/rule

For something a little more deep/aero - check the Xplor:

https://nextcycling.com/products/xplor

Both of these options get you: warranty, customer service, companies invested in cycling and tech development

macaroon
07-27-2018, 01:27 PM

My other set of disc wheels have Pacenti SL25 rims, prior to that I had Hunt Rims (27mm deep IIRC). I can't say any of them felt more "aero" than another (although that's not to say they weren't). I think the differences would be insignificant.

The XR331 is an XC rim, would be interesting to know if it's compatible with road tyres and pressures, as some manufacturers specify that their XC rims AREN'T.

macaroon
07-27-2018, 01:33 PM

https://www.notubes.com/catalog/product/view/id/349040/s/grail-cb7-pro-wheelset/category/4/

300g for the rim is light, it appears to be "non asymmetrical" and the wheel is built with Sapim Lazer spokes.

What does OP or any of the other wheel builders make of that? Stiff/strong enough? My experience of wheels built with Sapim Lazer spokes was not great, and I weighed a lot less than the 86kg weight limit given by Stans.

yinzerniner
07-27-2018, 01:56 PM
My other set of disc wheels have Pacenti SL25 rims, prior to that I had Hunt Rims (27mm deep IIRC). I can't say any of them felt more "aero" than another (although that's not to say they weren't). I think the differences would be insignificant.

The XR331 is an XC rim, would be interesting to know if it's compatible with road tyres and pressures, as some manufacturers specify that their XC rims AREN'T.

I had a set of DT R460 (20/24/24) on 350 Hubs that was rock solid and good, but I could definitely feel the difference when I switched to a set of R90 SL (20/24/27) on Tune hubs. The Eastons transferred power way better than the DTs, and when rolling they kept speed much better as well. Given the wheelsets weight difference was around 150g, but that shouldn't effect the feeling of power transfer and speed continuance. Then again, it could have just been a placebo effect since the Easton Tune set was so damn purty.

jwess1234
07-27-2018, 07:34 PM
Thank you.

The shop I am working with mentioned the Stans as an option, but the review mentioned there would be flex.

https://www.cxmagazine.com/review-stans-grail-cb7-mk3-tubeless-gravel-wheelsets
Pick up a pair of 1250g disc brake carbon wheels and you probably shouldn’t expect the world’s stiffest wheel, and the Grail CB7 Pro wheelset is no exception. On power climbs and sprints, there’s noticeable flex, even under the middling power of a 160-pound tester. How can we tell? On our test bike, with 2-3mm clearance on each side of a 44mm tire at the chainstays, we were scraping away paint during sprints.

I am hopefully working something out with another Paceliner right now that could be a good fit! :). If it doesn't go through, I will take a look at those options from Next!

For something more handbuilt - Next Cycling released the Rule, one wheel to rule them all:

https://nextcycling.com/products/rule

For something a little more deep/aero - check the Xplor:

https://nextcycling.com/products/xplor

Both of these options get you: warranty, customer service, companies invested in cycling and tech development

floxy1
07-29-2018, 06:32 AM
I just ordered a set for the same purpose and spent way to much time researching. I landed on a set of the 46mm cafe racer from NOvember bicycles. For ~$1300 for a wide carbon rim, i9 hubs, CX-ray spokes they were hard to beat. Also meet your weight requirements. I looked closely at the Next wheels but they were much more expensive with the i9 hub upgrade (I wanted matching hubs to my other wheelset so I could swap end caps, bikes, etc).

R3awak3n
07-29-2018, 06:57 AM

its a new wheel. No warranty though but lets stop making it seem like carbon is any different than alum. Fine you want a warranty but they won't explode on you... actually probably stronger on gravel since they won't dent like light alum wheels

oldpotatoe
07-29-2018, 07:18 AM
300g for the rim is light, it appears to be "non asymmetrical" and the wheel is built with Sapim Lazer spokes.

What does OP or any of the other wheel builders make of that? Stiff/strong enough? My experience of wheels built with Sapim Lazer spokes was not great, and I weighed a lot less than the 86kg weight limit given by Stans.

Not a fan of thin spokes for disc wheels..or for riders that aren't light or don't ride light. Lazer(DT Revolution) are more expensive, shave just a wee bit of weight and make for a not as stiff wheel, particularly when the spoke count is low-ish(24/28). Feel the same about spokes like CX-Ray..way expensive but add more for the salesman(marketing) than actual performance.
Carbon rims help a lot but adding a few grams via spokes or maybe a little heavier rim would make for a more reliable wheel and make no difference for that
90,000 gram bike and rider 'package'

IMHO

bigbill
07-29-2018, 07:31 AM
Not a fan of thin spokes for disc wheels..or for riders that aren't light or don't ride light. Lazer(DT Revolution) are more expensive, shave just a wee bit of weight and make for a not as stiff wheel, particularly when the spoke count is low-ish(24/28). Feel the same about spokes like CX-Ray..way expensive but add more for the salesman(marketing) than actual performance.
Carbon rims help a lot but adding a few grams via spokes or maybe a little heavier rim would make for a more reliable wheel and make no difference for that
90,000 gram bike and rider 'package'

IMHO

I had my road bike up in the stand yesterday to clean it after riding in a downpour. The DT 511 wheelset you built me is still absolutely true. I'm a fan of reliable and after around 3500 miles, they are. The 511's do collect water though.

oldpotatoe
07-29-2018, 07:42 AM
I had my road bike up in the stand yesterday to clean it after riding in a downpour. The DT 511 wheelset you built me is still absolutely true. I'm a fan of reliable and after around 3500 miles, they are. The 511's do collect water though.

Thanks for the nice compliment..really like DT rims(particularly 411/511).

fogrider
07-29-2018, 11:37 PM
if you want 1500 gram tubeless disc wheels that are aero, you pretty much have to go with carbon. I have a pair of these:
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/en/prime-rp-50-carbon-clincher-disc-road-wheelset/rp-prod142951

this is on my list to try:
https://www.lightbicycle.com/700C-V-shape-56mm-depth-hand-built-carbon-road-disc-wheels---30mm-wide-and-tubeless-compatible.html

there are options (I haven't tried these): https://www.huntbikewheels.com/collections/road-wheels/products/aero-light-disc-road-wheelset-1449g-28deep-22wide#pid=9