PDA

View Full Version : The 'other' example of poor behavior by TdF fans

oldpotatoe
07-26-2018, 07:36 AM
Nibali to have surgery..
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/nibali-to-undergo-vertebrae-surgery-after-tour-de-france-crash/

marciero
07-26-2018, 07:55 AM
Thats a damn shame. Sounds like he is having significant pain. Back surgery is no joke.

redir
07-26-2018, 07:56 AM
Yup that is for all practical purposes a serious injury. Dumbass fan should be held accountable frankly.

tombtfslpk
07-27-2018, 07:16 AM
I fractured my L1 in July 2016, surgery was not offered by my health provider. They offered stronger pain killers, I refused. It was not (has not been) an enjoyable experience. Three months to allow the bone to stabilize, six months off the bike. It's been two years and I'm feeling pretty normal now. Granted I'm around twice Nibali's age, and light years from his fitness. But it has taken a while to adapt to some instability from my bone loss. The surgery can, and should, further accelerate the recovery process in a young fit athlete.

Seramount
07-27-2018, 08:06 AM
Yup that is for all practical purposes a serious injury. Dumbass fan should be held accountable frankly.

don't think the fan had any malicious intent, he just stupidly created a hazard with his strap being out in the racer's line.

quite a bit different from the cretins that are spitting on and intentionally trying to harm the riders.

and the brain-dead types setting off flares really need to incur some behavior modification therapy from other spectators...

send the message 'that ain't cool, bro...'

josephr
07-27-2018, 09:33 AM
don't think the fan had any malicious intent, he just stupidly created a hazard with his strap being out in the racer's line.

quite a bit different from the cretins that are spitting on and intentionally trying to harm the riders.

and the brain-dead types setting off flares really need to incur some behavior modification therapy from other spectators...

send the message 'that ain't cool, bro...'

+1... hard to believe the photographer's involvement was anymore than negligence. Still liable though. Not surprised this accident happened as every year the fans/spectators encroach further into the peloton's path. If anything, it decreases opportunity to make a move or positioning.

charliedid
07-27-2018, 09:43 AM
Not sure I see the comparison between clear idiots and an accidental camera strap but he was IMO too close. The energy and excitement is palpable in those stages with the riders running the gauntlet, but I'm not sure I'd allow it if it was my call.

For many of these spectators it's just an event with national pride thrown in with TV cameras and a binge party atmosphere.

Tough call.