PDA

View Full Version : Speedplay Zero Walkable Cleats...

oldguy00
07-25-2018, 03:54 PM
Just got my first pair of zeros that have the walkable cleats instead of the older version.
Question - Looks like what makes them 'walkable' is just the plastic yellow cover.....will the function fine, allow you to clip in and out etc, without the yellow cover??

Thanks!

KJMUNC
07-25-2018, 03:57 PM
they've worked for me and are so much better than clacking around in the old cleats with metal on concrete. Plus, it protects the cleats from damage!

Bentley
07-25-2018, 03:57 PM
I see no reason why not. I think the cleats are just as you point out, basically they put a bunch of plastic around the cleat so you could walk on them. Way better than putting covers on the old cleats, still better than the LOOK/SPD Road for walking.

Honestly, I kind of like SPD mountain cleats/Pedals. I know they are not "cool" but they sure make getting around on foot easier.

oldguy00
07-25-2018, 04:15 PM
Completely agree with the concept, but for 180km rides in Ironman, I'd prefer to leave the extra piece of plastic behind if possible. :)
Cheers

djg21
07-25-2018, 04:28 PM
Completely agree with the concept, but for 180km rides in Ironman, I'd prefer to leave the extra piece of plastic behind if possible. :)
Cheers

Why? The extra plastic may weigh a few grams, but I’d think the ability to have footing in transition and to lessen the risk of contamination of the cleats would be worth it. The downside of Speedplays for triathlon has always been the problem of dirt fouling the cleat and making entry/exit more difficult. My wife uses the walkable cleats on her Tri bike, and has done multiple Ironman races with no issues.

Mark McM
07-25-2018, 04:37 PM
Cheers

You'd actually want to leave the covers on for the 180 km rides in Ironman (or any race, for that matter), because the covers also improve aerodynamics, or at least that's what Speedplay says (afterall, the full name of these cleats is "Zero Aero Walkable Cleats".

Here's a test of the full Zero Aero Pedal system:

http://www.ero-sports.com/2017/index.php/tested-speedplay-zero-aero-pedals

azrider
07-25-2018, 04:53 PM
Cheers

Triathletes..............pffft............. :rolleyes:

J/K ;)

htwoopup
07-25-2018, 05:00 PM
To really see the difference with these...put them on 4 hole shoes. I did that with some Lakes and I will never use anything else...it is not just the plastic it is also the lower stack....and the OP who said SPD yes but don’t go down cement stairs and a nice frame over your shoulder with those....

Absolutely sold on the walkable zero’s with speedplay friendly 4 hole shoes. YMMV.

weiwentg
07-25-2018, 05:01 PM
Tangentially, here's a conversation about those cleats on Weightweenies (https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=131866&hilit=zero+aero+walkable) that started in 2015. A couple of users say they had problems with the rubber covers falling off. I talked to someone at Speedplay who said that yes, this had been a problem, but they had not designed the cleat covers for heavy walking. I can't remember if they made any running changes to the cleats from 2015, but I think not. This poster (https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=131866&hilit=zero+aero+walkable&start=60#p1139583) apparently talked to Richard Byrne himself, and it does not sound like they made any changes to the cleat design (in contrast, they did change the supplier for one part of the Zero Pavés in response to some failures).

Basically, I'm likely to switch from my worn out X-series pedals to the Zeros, and I'll be a bit cautious trying out the walkable cleats. I do expect Speedplay to keep stocking the regular V2 cleats (and for that matter, the old X-series cleats).

djg21
07-25-2018, 05:41 PM
Tangentially, here's a conversation about those cleats on Weightweenies (https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=131866&hilit=zero+aero+walkable) that started in 2015. A couple of users say they had problems with the rubber covers falling off. I talked to someone at Speedplay who said that yes, this had been a problem, but they had not designed the cleat covers for heavy walking. I can't remember if they made any running changes to the cleats from 2015, but I think not. This poster (https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=131866&hilit=zero+aero+walkable&start=60#p1139583) apparently talked to Richard Byrne himself, and it does not sound like they made any changes to the cleat design (in contrast, they did change the supplier for one part of the Zero Pavés in response to some failures).

Basically, I'm likely to switch from my worn out X-series pedals to the Zeros, and I'll be a bit cautious trying out the walkable cleats. I do expect Speedplay to keep stocking the regular V2 cleats (and for that matter, the old X-series cleats).

I used Speedplays for decades. I recently switched to Garmin Vector 3s because I wanted a pedal-based power meter. If Speedplay had done something with a power meter, I’d still be using them. MetriGear started to develop one, but ultimately was purchased by Garmin. http://nyvelocity.com/equipment-2/metrigear-vector/. It’s unfortunate, as I love Speedplays.

Even with the old-style Zero cleats, I used keepon kovers to protect the cleats from premature wear and make them more “walkable.” http://www.keeponkovers.com/Product.html.

I would try the walkable cleats. They aren’t much different than the old cleats with keeponkovers.

livesadventure
07-25-2018, 05:42 PM
I've found the rubber covers to stay on impressively long - including walking two miles on a rocky trail once I blew threw all my tubes on my road bike.

The bigger benefit is that the cleats themselves last much longer because the metal and screws are protected.

spinarelli
07-25-2018, 08:39 PM
I have no experience with the speedplay walkable version but for years I rode zero with the keepon covers. It made a world of difference compared to not having the covers. Highly recommend.
I was surprised it took speedplay soooo many years to make their own version after so many people were using keepon with great reviews.
http://www.keeponkovers.com/Product.html.

bitpuddle
07-25-2018, 10:16 PM
Cheers

Why did you buy the walkable cleats if you don’t want the walkable part?

Not wanting “the extra piece of plastic” makes no sense to me.

oldpotatoe
07-26-2018, 06:41 AM
Just got my first pair of zeros that have the walkable cleats instead of the older version.
Question - Looks like what makes them 'walkable' is just the plastic yellow cover.....will they function fine, allow you to clip in and out etc, without the yellow cover??

Thanks!

Yup but why not use the cover?

oldpotatoe
07-26-2018, 06:45 AM

They improved the pointy bits on the plastic cover and you MUST make sure the cover is flush all around(tap on it with a mallet is what I did)..and then they stay on. NOT for marching in a parade or walking up a 14er..for walking to the counter to get yer latte...:)

I've had 'em for 2 years, haven't lost a cover.

weiwentg
07-26-2018, 07:49 AM
They improved the pointy bits on the plastic cover and you MUST make sure the cover is flush all around(tap on it with a mallet is what I did)..and then they stay on. NOT for marching in a parade or walking up a 14er..for walking to the counter to get yer latte...:)

I've had 'em for 2 years, haven't lost a cover.

Thanks for the pointer on making sure the cover is mounted flush, and that the cleats were actually improved. I must have mis-remembered what the Speedplay guy said.

oldpotatoe
07-26-2018, 07:53 AM
Thanks for the pointer on making sure the cover is mounted flush, and that the cleats were actually improved. I must have mis-remembered what the Speedplay guy said.

3 years ago...:)

SPOKE
07-26-2018, 08:17 AM
Anyone know if Speedplay offers the walkable covers for the older X-series cleats? I’ve been using the X-series since they first hit the market. I hate the thought of switching since over 2 dozen of my bikes have them installed.

oldguy00
07-26-2018, 08:43 AM
Why did you buy the walkable cleats if you don’t want the walkable part?

Not wanting “the extra piece of plastic” makes no sense to me.

The walkable cleats are what is supplied by default with new zero pedals now. If I had a choice, I would have rather had the older style cleat.

As for leaving the plastic on, I wasn't concerned about aero etc, I was more concerned with them falling off, just something else to worry about on top of the other 50 things to think about during a long distance tri. But maybe its a non-issue if I make sure they are mounted flush.

oldpotatoe
07-26-2018, 09:33 AM
The walkable cleats are what is supplied by default with new zero pedals now. If I had a choice, I would have rather had the older style cleat.

As for leaving the plastic on, I wasn't concerned about aero etc, I was more concerned with them falling off, just something else to worry about on top of the other 50 things to think about during a long distance tri. But maybe its a non-issue if I make sure they are mounted flush.

If they DO fall off, it’s when you are walking, not riding..cannot come off if clipped in. ‘50 things to think about’? Yikes Worry? I doubt you would even know it if one fell off unless you looked.

Mark McM
07-26-2018, 10:14 AM
Anyone know if Speedplay offers the walkable covers for the older X-series cleats? I’ve been using the X-series since they first hit the market. I hate the thought of switching since over 2 dozen of my bikes have them installed.

Sadly, no. Speedplay continues to make the X-series pedals and cleats, but they haven't updated the design in many years. Probably because they sell far more Zero series pedals/cleats.