PDA

View Full Version : Shimano 8 speed downtube shifters - what am I missing

KJMUNC
07-25-2018, 01:26 PM
Looking to convert one of my 8 speed bikes from integrated bar shifters back to down tube shifters. I've been looking around for Dura Ace as that's the rest of my drive train (all 74xx) and want indexed shifters if possible.

Did Shimano make Dura Ace 8 speed indexed down tube shifters?

I've seen 9 speed and 7 speed....but can't find any DA 8 speed DT shifters. That seems to be the same time they started pushing the new integrated bar shifters so I'm wondering if they skipped that generation of DT shifters.

Any pointers/help would be appreciated!

steelbikerider
07-25-2018, 01:52 PM
They did make them but I understand the indexing system was fragile. I think I went through at least 2 pair and had to use them in friction mode.

GregL
07-25-2018, 01:55 PM
Wiser minds (and better memories...) than I will chime in, but I believe that Shimano 8-speed Dura Ace used a slightly different cable pull ratio than other Shimano 8-speed shifting. Shimano did indeed make Dura Ace 74xx downtube shifters. They may just be hard to find due to relative scarcity and collectability.

Greg

Mark McM
07-25-2018, 02:01 PM
Looking to convert one of my 8 speed bikes from integrated bar shifters back to down tube shifters. I've been looking around for Dura Ace as that's the rest of my drive train (all 74xx) and want indexed shifters if possible.

Did Shimano make Dura Ace 8 speed indexed down tube shifters?

I've seen 9 speed and 7 speed....but can't find any DA 8 speed DT shifters. That seems to be the same time they started pushing the new integrated bar shifters so I'm wondering if they skipped that generation of DT shifters.

Any pointers/help would be appreciated!

The Dura-Ace 7402 8 speed downtube shifters were made in the early 80s as part of the 7400 Dura-Ace group. There's one on ebay right now.

rccardr
07-25-2018, 02:18 PM
Actually late 80's/early 90's. Somewhat fragile indexing system but not as bad as 6207.

Last time I was at Velo Classique in Purcelleville, Wayne Bingham had a nice set in the back. Call and ask, his prices are very reasonable.

spacemen3
07-25-2018, 02:55 PM
I wouldn't hesitate to use Shimano SL-400 downtube shifters instead. Cheap, robust, and polished instead of the meh Dura-Ace gray.

HTupolev
07-25-2018, 03:19 PM
I wouldn't hesitate to use Shimano SL-400 downtube shifters instead. Cheap, robust, and polished instead of the meh Dura-Ace gray.
74xx derailleurs use a different actuation ratio than later Shimano 8-speed stuff, so an SL-400 probably won't index very well with the OP's drivetrain.

However, I've heard that Shimano 9-speed shifters work alongside an 8-speed cassette and 8-speed Dura Ace derailleur, just with one unused click.

Alternately, you can go ahead and use friction shifters. With shifters on the downtube and only 8 speeds, the value of indexing is pretty marginal. A part of me actually prefers friction in these kinds of setups just for the lighter lever action.

Billybob62
07-25-2018, 03:27 PM
74xx derailleurs use a different actuation ratio than later Shimano 8-speed stuff, so an SL-400 probably won't index very well with the OP's drivetrain.

A good explanation and potential solution are here:
http://sheldonbrown.com/dura-ace.html

spacemen3
07-25-2018, 03:52 PM
Very interesting, I didn't realize there were differences in Shimano 8-speed. I guess I've only ever used 7400 rear derailleurs with DA, Gipiemme, or Simplex Retrofriction downtube shifters.

KJMUNC
07-25-2018, 03:59 PM
However, I've heard that Shimano 9-speed shifters work alongside an 8-speed cassette and 8-speed Dura Ace derailleur, just with one unused click.

Thanks! Was wondering if this was the case, as there are a plethora of 9 spd shifters out there and figured Shimano would probably account for 8spd compatibility when they released 9spd.

tctyres
07-25-2018, 04:15 PM
Thanks! Was wondering if this was the case, as there are a plethora of 9 spd shifters out there and figured Shimano would probably account for 8spd compatibility when they released 9spd.

I have a set of 8 speed 740X shifters. I even know where they are! I'll get a pic and price for you later tonight.

texbike
07-25-2018, 07:53 PM
I have a set of 8 speed DA downtube shifters along with the rest of the group if you're interested... ;) Headset and 27.2 post included.

Shoot me a PM if you're interested.

Texbike

bikinchris
07-25-2018, 09:27 PM
If I am not mistaken, Shimano sold a 9 speed downtube shifter and it came with a little insert you would put on the body of the shifter to use with 8 speed.

wtex
07-25-2018, 09:58 PM
I bought a used Paramount that had them. I'm a brifter guy, so converted the bike to a Shimagnolo setup with Campy shifters, but that said, the original Dura Ace downtube shifters were amazing. The action is hard to describe, just, perfect.

oldpotatoe
07-26-2018, 06:48 AM
Wiser minds (and better memories...) than I will chime in, but I believe that Shimano 8-speed Dura Ace used a slightly different cable pull ratio than other Shimano 8-speed shifting. Shimano did indeed make Dura Ace 74xx downtube shifters. They may just be hard to find due to relative scarcity and collectability.

Greg

Correct.
Yes they did, make DA 8s DT shifters.

http://si.shimano.com/pdfs/ev/EV-SL-7400-FAI45-0687.pdf

And yes, after 1997, you could use a DA 9s DT shifter with a DA 8s rear der..mounting the cable above vs below the fixing bolt.

biker72
07-26-2018, 07:17 AM
I have Dura Ace 8 speed down tube shifters on my Merckx. Work great.

KJMUNC
07-26-2018, 07:42 AM
you could use a DA 9s DT shifter with a DA 8s rear der..mounting the cable above vs below the fixing bolt.

Excellent to know.....sounds like I'll likely go the 9spd DT shifter route as those are readily available.

texbike
07-26-2018, 08:05 AM
I have Dura Ace 8 speed down tube shifters on my Merckx. Work great.

Same here. I have them on two bikes and they work great. The "clack" that they make when you shift is a thing of beauty. Very positive feeling.

Texbike

bigbill
07-26-2018, 09:16 AM
Rode them for years, never had any fragility issues. The only reason I took them off was to upgrade to STI in 94. And those 94 STI levers are on my cross bike along with the original 8S DA group from 91.

icepick_trotsky
07-26-2018, 09:29 AM
Excellent to know.....sounds like I'll likely go the 9spd DT shifter route as those are readily available.

Good choice. Those 7700 dt shifters are completely bulletproof.