PDA

View Full Version : Takhion Super Sport - restore or not?

Remko
07-25-2018, 08:33 AM
What would you guys do? Restore or not? Leaning against restoring as it had a repair and the paint is really bad. Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks!

bicycletricycle
07-25-2018, 08:36 AM
I would just ride it.

Devotion
07-25-2018, 09:34 AM
Personally, I ALWAYS prefer original paint...even if it’s banged up. I only really push for repaint of a vintage bike if (a) it somehow “preserves” or saves the bike (b) it’s not currently sporting its original paint or (c) there is the sort of repair that warrants a new spray.

I’m assuming that your plan is not to start utilizing this bike for pursuit events at your local velodrome? In any case, I’d build it up with well cared for but similarly well used period correct parts and have a SUPER cool “survivor” in your collection.

While a bike with a fresh respray and small fortune of NOS Parts is fun to see/look at, I personally have ZERO interest in owning them. Give me an original paint bike with some signs of its soul (and its mileage) that I can get out there and enjoy without experiencing a small bit of heartbreak with every rock chip and scratch.

Original bikes will ALWAYS be more interesting to me.

Remko
07-25-2018, 10:34 AM
Thank you so much for your detailed reply, I really appreciate that. I’m also able to get almost all of the original parts. The repair is not nice but I still need to see it in person.

It’s nice to have a fully “new” bike but I think it will keep his value also better when I keep it original.

Thanks again!

dustyrider
07-25-2018, 06:13 PM
Man you dig up the greatest bikes! Anything else new in the collection?

As far as a respray goes, knowing nothing about the value on these types of bikes, I just really dig that they exist, I vote for building it up and riding it first. My experience is 9 times out of ten I’m happy for them to stay just as they are providing the frame doesn’t continue to degrade or needs to be made safe.

Remko
07-25-2018, 06:26 PM
Thank you for your reply! Collection is growing rapidly:)

spacemen3
07-26-2018, 09:10 AM
If it were me, I would restore it. I don't mind a scuffed-up, much-loved original, but I don't see the charm in a frame that rough. I'd restore it back to perfect and immediately ride it back down to 80%. Whatever you decide, those Takhion's are cool frames. :beer: