PDA

View Full Version : Campagnolo Freehub Circlip Removal

m_sasso
07-25-2018, 03:54 AM
OK, trying to replace the bearings in a Campagnolo FH-BO015 freehub. So what is the trick to removing the circlip retaining the inner bearing in a Campagnolo FH-BO015 freehub.

There are certainly no holes in the two freehubs circlips I have to get snap ring pliers in there to remove them.

If I remember correctly Mr. Spud once suggested drilling a very small hole through the free hub body to push the circlip out of it's groove from the outside?

Any other tricks?

Small screw drivers seem to be the only other tool to even have a possibility of getting behind the clip to dislodge the clip from it's groove

Hank Scorpio
07-25-2018, 05:26 AM
I gave up after running out of curse word combinations. I tried a small flat head to get behind the slash cut end of the circlip and quite a few different dental pics. OP did say you could possibly drill a small hole in it but mine was so worn from dislodging attempts I just gave up and bought a new one. I may have the bearings that I bought if you are interested. They aren’t campy specific I just took the outer one down to ye olde bearing shop and had them match it up.

oldpotatoe
07-25-2018, 07:53 AM
OK, trying to replace the bearings in a Campagnolo FH-BO015 freehub. So what is the trick to removing the circlip retaining the inner bearing in a Campagnolo FH-BO015 freehub.

There are certainly no holes in the two freehubs circlips I have to get snap ring pliers in there to remove them.

If I remember correctly Mr. Spud once suggested drilling a very small hole through the free hub body to push the circlip out of it's groove from the outside?

Any other tricks?

Small screw drivers seem to be the only other tool to even have a possibility of getting behind the clip to dislodge the clip from it's groove

I've tried and tried with a variety of small tools..screw drivers, dental picks, you name it and couldn't do it so yes..measure, drill wee hole there and push it out from the outside. Grease inside the FH body and covered by cogset so it's not an issue.

Shame when Campag went from steel/8s to aluminum 9s/10/11/12, they stopped designing the 'c' clip with holes to be able to get the lower bearing out yet they used a standard size bearing..It's rare that the lower goes south(the outer fairly frequently) but it still does. Be a shame to chuck the FHB for a $5 bearing.

m_sasso
07-25-2018, 03:36 PM
Success, likely drilled a larger hole (0.094mm) than I needed, experimental, and didn't want to mess with it two long, as you can see this was a trashed freehub as all the cassette stops were broken off the body due to some ham fisted individual over tighten the cassette lock ring. I was salvaging the bearings out of this one for use in another freehub, the next freehub will get a smaller hole (0.062mm).

And as Chis suggested the next freehub inner bearing still feels good so not going to change it at this time only the notchey outer bearing requires replacing.

Thanks again, twice, for your help Chis! I now know the secret.

https://forums.thepaceline.net/picture.php?albumid=42&pictureid=378

spinarelli
07-25-2018, 09:26 PM
Any pressfit bearings I only use once. Bearings are cheap, you don't have to get the Campagnolo ones.

Success, likely drilled a larger hole (0.094mm) than I needed, experimental, and didn't want to mess with it two long, as you can see this was a trashed freehub as all the cassette stops were broken off the body due to some ham fisted individual over tighten the cassette lock ring. I was salvaging the bearings out of this one for use in another freehub, the next freehub will get a smaller hole (0.062mm).

And as Chis suggested the next freehub inner bearing still feels good so not going to change it at this time only the notchey outer bearing requires replacing.

sokyroadie
07-26-2018, 06:02 AM

Good job - but you may want to check your hole size, ain't no way that is a .094 mm hole (.0037" dia.);)

m_sasso
07-26-2018, 12:11 PM
Good job - but you may want to check your hole size, ain't no way that is a .094 mm hole (.0037" dia.);)

Yes you are absolutely correct, should have been used a 0.094 drill bit and 0.062 drill bit.

David Benson
07-26-2018, 07:32 PM

I did this a few times, years ago.
I found that it was critical to degrease everything inside the freehuib body so that the your tools could get a purchase on the circlip.