PDA

View Full Version : What goes into a bike "tune-up?"

Tavarez
07-24-2018, 08:02 PM
Please help me settle an argument with a friend of mine. What should go into a regular bike tune-up for a standard road bike?

dustyrider
07-24-2018, 08:09 PM
Most shops have various levels of a “tune up” ranging from a quick wipe down and lube, to checking over of all the major systems and adjusting cable tension, all the way to pulling every bearing and re-assembling with new parts as needed. Of course now that road bikes have hydro brakes, I’m sure shops offer brake tune levels too.

Cicli
07-24-2018, 08:41 PM
Agreed with above.

Do proper maintenance yourself and a “tune-up” never stops or is really needed.

jtakeda
07-24-2018, 08:46 PM
Please help me settle an argument with a friend of mine. What should go into a regular bike tune-up for a standard road bike?

A wipe down. Cleaning the chain and cassette. Adjusting the brakes and derailleurs.

Ken Robb
07-24-2018, 08:47 PM
Agreed with above.

Do proper maintenance yourself and a “tune-up” never stops or is really needed.

OTOH if you are living in limited space (dorm?) and don't have room for simple tools/lube, etc. maybe a $25 "tuneup" makes sense?

Bob Ross
07-24-2018, 09:55 PM
Here's what some of my LBS' offer; note how there are multiple levels of tune-up available: "Quick" vs "Deluxe", or "Basic" vs "Race Ready" vs "Ultimate" etc.

http://www.conradsbikeshop.com/Services.html

https://www.strictlybicycles.com/-service/

http://www.masterbikeshop.com/repairs.html

https://nycvelo.com/our-pricing/

cmbicycles
07-24-2018, 10:14 PM
From memory at a good shop where I worked 15 years ago, this was the procedure for any geared bike:
Check bike for worn/missing parts, air up tires, call customer where applicable, lube cables and all pivots/moving parts, lube chain, adjust shifting, adjust brakes, lube seatpost/stem (where applicable), adjust all bearings (hubs, HS, BB), true wheels, check fasteners for proper torque, wipe down bike, test ride... Clean work area, hang bike up, notify customer, complete and file paperwork.

Might have missed a few steps, but it was pretty thorough.

nate2351
07-24-2018, 10:17 PM
A basic tune-up should be wipe down the frame, oil the chain, tune the shifting and braking, and laterally true the wheels. Anything more than that is an Advanced tune. If bearing are being replaced or suspension rebuilt that's when I think its an overhaul.

m4rk540
07-24-2018, 10:38 PM
For most shops, a sucker.

weisan
07-24-2018, 10:49 PM
What was the argument about?

bitpuddle
07-25-2018, 01:45 AM
Here's what some of my LBS' offer; note how there are multiple levels of tune-up available: "Quick" vs "Deluxe", or "Basic" vs "Race Ready" vs "Ultimate" etc.

Looking at these descriptions is a little depressing. Some of them actually include tire inflation as if that is some mechanic’s task. Vague terms like “BB overhaul” don’t fill me with confidence.

CiclistiCliff
07-25-2018, 02:11 AM
Pull wheels
Clean and inspect frame (will find cracks 15-20% of the time)
If no frame damage, inspect wheels for cracks (cracks/dents found 10-15% of the time)
True wheels - lateral and vertical - check dish and tension
Check brake pads for debris. Resurface if needed
Install wheels
Check friction/stiffness of brakes/derailleurs
Lube spring guides on brakes (true rotor if disc)
Adjust brake placement
Check headset adjustment
Check hardware torque spec
Adjust bb if needed.
Adjust hubs if needed.
Checking shifting, limits, hanger alignment
Lube cables (lightly with Pro Link) if friction in system.
Final wipe down.
Clean bar tape if possible.
Retape end of wrap/finishing tape if messy
Test ride

Add ons for mtb:
check linkage hardware
Check linkage/suspension/dropper condition

CiclistiCliff
07-25-2018, 02:18 AM
Looking at these descriptions is a little depressing. Some of them actually include tire inflation as if that is some mechanic’s task. Vague terms like “BB overhaul” don’t fill me with confidence.

100% agree, and I run a shop.

We have tune up (adjustment of everything on the bike without replacement)

Then we have labor charges for individual services - if there is overlap in services, we don’t double charge.

Overhaul, is what it sounds like - covers labor for full tear down to bare frame/hub bearing replacement or service. Usually polish the frame if gloss finish Parts additional.

Service is hard to communicate to customers. There are many locals that like to work on friend’s bikes. I’ve lost track of the amount of times I’ve had to redo a ‘bike enthusiasts’ work.

charliedid
07-25-2018, 07:19 AM
A Tune Up is whatever your bike needs to make it safe and function properly.

We are loathe to do triage work at the shop and do not have a menu board of pricing. Your tune up is different from the next bike's tune up so why should it cost the same?

We regularly turn away bikes that are just a bit dusty, need air and oil. We have a community pump for people to use. Other shops would call that a Spring tune up and charge $85.00

oldpotatoe
07-25-2018, 07:47 AM
100% agree, and I run a shop.

We have tune up (adjustment of everything on the bike without replacement)

Then we have labor charges for individual services - if there is overlap in services, we don’t double charge.

Overhaul, is what it sounds like - covers labor for full tear down to bare frame/hub bearing replacement or service. Usually polish the frame if gloss finish Parts additional.

Service is hard to communicate to customers. There are many locals that like to work on friend’s bikes. I’ve lost track of the amount of times I’ve had to redo a ‘bike enthusiasts’ work.

What he said..from 'adjustments' to take parts off, clean, re-install to take bike apart completely to parade rest, open hubs, headset, BB..clean, lube, replace stuff if toasted.

NOT saying there aren't some really good DIY-ers here and in the wild and a bicycle is pretty simple but....Sometimes it's little stuff(rear der cage upside down, small ring on backwards, rear der cable misrouted thru rear der fixing bolt) and sometimes it's a OMG, let's take pictures(in private, we didn't try to embarrass customer)...

But if something was really 'interesting, done by customer, I often asked what he did..'software development'..I'd suggest that I'd agree not to develop software if he didn't work on his bike.:)

AngryScientist
07-25-2018, 07:58 AM
more often than not, when someone who's not a bike geek suggests that their bike needs a "tune-up" what they really mean is that the shifting has gotten sloppy and needs to be re-adjusted, or perhaps new cassette/chain.

i do all my own maintenance, motorcycles, cars and bikes - but if i were to ever go to a shop, i would never ask for or pay for a generic, undefined service, and i suggest the same to other folks i meet.

if your shifting is poor - tell the LBS to adjust the shifting back to proper.

if your brake pads are worn out and your hubs are crunchy - tell the LBS exactly what the problem areas are and what they need to correct.

Nooch
07-25-2018, 08:04 AM
back when I was working at a shop, our full service tune-up included:

minor wheel truing
full dissassembly of the bike
all components ran through the ultrasonic cleaner
frame/wheels washed
bike re-assembled/re-greased/dialed in

the full service was not inclusive of replacing worn parts, so cables would be replaced as needed, chains, bar tape, etc, with their own labor costs.

Amocat
07-25-2018, 08:10 AM
Visual inspection for worn or damaged parts , check for irregularities in moving parts such as sticking cables , brake squeaks , loose bearings and such plus clean and lube every moving parts but this is only by my standards !:no::butt::eek::p

oldpotatoe
07-25-2018, 08:16 AM
more often than not, when someone who's not a bike geek suggests that their bike needs a "tune-up" what they really mean is that the shifting has gotten sloppy and needs to be re-adjusted, or perhaps new cassette/chain.

i do all my own maintenance, motorcycles, cars and bikes - but if i were to ever go to a shop, i would never ask for or pay for a generic, undefined service, and i suggest the same to other folks i meet.

if your shifting is poor - tell the LBS to adjust the shifting back to proper.

if your brake pads are worn out and your hubs are crunchy - tell the LBS exactly what the problem areas are and what they need to correct.

I agree with this..poor shifting, adjust ders..same for brakes. Wheel outta true? Wheel true(insist that they take tire off)..most times a decent shop, when they take the wheel off to true it, will 'feel' the hub bearings to see if they are toasted(and show you what he is talking about..not just 'say' they are bad)..and give the crank a spin with hand on seattube, with chain not on crank(check for crappy BB), etc..

charliedid
07-25-2018, 08:37 AM
back when I was working at a shop, our full service tune-up included:

minor wheel truing
full dissassembly of the bike
all components ran through the ultrasonic cleaner
frame/wheels washed
bike re-assembled/re-greased/dialed in

the full service was not inclusive of replacing worn parts, so cables would be replaced as needed, chains, bar tape, etc, with their own labor costs.

Sounds like a full service tune at that shop was a bike wash.

AngryScientist
07-25-2018, 09:42 AM
Sounds like a full service tune at that shop was a bike wash.

exactly. that list may sound impressive until you think critically about it.

Tavarez
07-25-2018, 03:21 PM
What was the argument about?

It was about what should go into a tune-up. As others have said, I think it is taking advantage if a LBS puts some air in the tires and adds some oil and charges $85. But at the same time they do have to make money and their expertise is valued.

johnmdesigner
07-25-2018, 03:35 PM
A good tune up?
Overhaul hubs and bottom bracket.
True wheels.
Chain. Shifting problems.
Unless you ride in the rain everyday a modern headset should go on forever.
Wash and wax your own bike. A matter of pride.

bikinchris
07-25-2018, 05:05 PM
If you want me to wipe down your frame, call a bike detailer.

A safety inspection is no charge.

I can do a safety inspection, but that's not a tuneup.then I can work on any part of the bike that needs it.

A minor tune is a safety inspection and adjusts brakes and shifting for a package deal that saves a little on labor.

A major tune up adds checking and readjusting all bearings and truing wheels.

A complete overhaul is a complete bike disassembly with new bearings and cables throughout the bike and readjusting everything to factory specifications.

Gummee
07-25-2018, 05:48 PM
It was about what should go into a tune-up. As others have said, I think it is taking advantage if a LBS puts some air in the tires and adds some oil and charges $85. But at the same time they do have to make money and their expertise is valued.

IME most 'basic' tune ups require a bit more than the basic and the customer doesn't get charged for it.

Also IME part of your job as a shop mechanic doing a 'basic' tune up is to look over the bike and communicate future problem areas. The bike may not need something right this second, but it *will* need something in the future: chain/cassette, tires, bearings, etc.

Prepping the customer for what's coming so they're not surprised is an important part of the job.

The physical act of tuning up the bike may take 20min or it may take an hour depending on what happens.

THE most important part of the tune up is cleaning the bike.

M

buddybikes
07-25-2018, 06:29 PM
Friend and I had a workshop in his basement early 80s for our bike club friends. Every Tuesday, take 1 or 2 people into "shop" and disassemble the entire bike, wax, replace cables/pads and put back together. What was cool, we only did partial, we had THEM do it, least the stuff that would break on the road.

Met my future bride at a bike ride coming back from Ottawa, offered her this chance of a lifetime, instead she got stuck with me permanently...but she did get a Gordon Chinook ordered in a few months after we met.

Gartenmeister
07-26-2018, 12:25 AM
Check bike for worn/missing parts, air up tires, call customer where applicable, lube cables and all pivots/moving parts, lube chain, adjust shifting, adjust brakes, lube seatpost/stem (where applicable), adjust all bearings (hubs, HS, BB), true wheels, check fasteners for proper torque, wipe down bike, test ride... Clean work area, hang bike up, notify customer, complete and file paperwork.

I like this answer the best as it is pretty much exactly what we do. If the tech (me) is not distracted it takes about an hour and costs $50.

IME the overwhelming majority of tune-up customers are looking to have the shifting and brakes adjusted, maybe the chain lubed, and air put in the tires. About half need a tube changed out as well, which is a separate charge.

marciero
07-26-2018, 05:45 AM
I'll take a washing. I'd also like rings and deraileur pulleys removed and wiped and scraped clean, using some kind of solvent as necessary, and wheels, including spokes, hubs, wiped, polished. Get between the cassette sprockets-I use a section of rope, or remove if necessary. I guess the bike equivalent of auto detailing. I'd pay for that.

AJM100
07-26-2018, 06:55 AM
sometimes it's a OMG, let's take pictures(in private, we didn't try to embarrass customer)...

But if something was really 'interesting, done by customer, I often asked what he did..'software development'..I'd suggest that I'd agree not to develop software if he didn't work on his bike.:)

:)