PDA

View Full Version : am I the last to know? USPS priority 9x12 padded envelope

eddief
07-24-2018, 02:24 PM
Sometimes stuff shows up here in my mail box in these priority padded envelopes. They are great for a lot of bike parts and go from shore to shore at a fixed / decent price compared to using your own box.

Yesterday I went to hunt some down and I thought you had to buy them from the P.O. But two locals said they are not for sale and almost no offices keep them in stock.

Just go to USPS website and order as many as you like for free. Is this how Jeff Bezos is getting richer?

oliver1850
07-24-2018, 02:32 PM
My preferred method for shipping anything too bulky for the small flat rate box. If worried about protection for expensive items you can always add insurance above the basic $50.

jtbadge
07-24-2018, 02:37 PM
Thanks for the tip. I often receive packages in these envelopes but also never see them at the post office.

simpsonn
07-24-2018, 02:39 PM
Are these what you're referring to?

https://store.usps.com/store/product/shipping-supplies/priority-mail-padded-flat-rate-envelope-P_EP14PE

oliver1850
07-24-2018, 02:40 PM
That's them. Some of my local POs have them, others don't. I usually just reuse one.

Nooch
07-24-2018, 02:47 PM
USPS is about to go bankrupt thanks to this :)

jtbadge
07-24-2018, 02:48 PM
USPS is about to go bankrupt thanks to this :)

USPS-branded packing materials have been built into the price for Priority shipping for years. Doubt they'll even notice.

weiwentg
07-24-2018, 03:14 PM
Sometimes stuff shows up here in my mail box in these priority padded envelopes. They are great for a lot of bike parts and go from shore to shore at a fixed / decent price compared to using your own box.

Yesterday I went to hunt some down and I thought you had to buy them from the P.O. But two locals said they are not for sale and almost no offices keep them in stock.

Just go to USPS website and order as many as you like for free. Is this how Jeff Bezos is getting richer?

I did not know about this. One post office local to me does have them on shelf - for the record, it's the one in the Coffman Union at the University of Minnesota, and I'm pretty sure it's operated by student workers.

I like to re-use packaging material at least once, and it would be superb if more stuff came shipped in these.

William
07-24-2018, 03:20 PM
Not my business but I know the guy who owns it. They have them in different sizes and you can buy them.

https://www.deltekproducts.com

William

cribbit
07-24-2018, 03:37 PM
How much do they cost to send? What's the limits on what you can put inside?

cgolvin
07-24-2018, 03:50 PM
You are no longer the last to know. I'm always frustrated that none of my local POs have these in stock, only the padded envelopes that you have to pay for.

Much appreciated!

eddief
07-24-2018, 04:18 PM
$7.25

Of course it may be cheaper to use your own box if the ship to is nearby.

weiwentg
07-24-2018, 04:42 PM
$7.25

Unfortunately, it seems like using your own box is more expensive than using one of their flat rate options. I've shipped a few things recently.

paredown
07-24-2018, 04:53 PM
Another thing that is not in the POs but is a good deal for shipping are the Regional Priority Boxes A and B--especially the A box that is a larger than the Small regular box, but can be a good deal for some things.

(There's an A1 and A2--differing shapes; also B1 and B2 although this seems to be about like the Medium box, so I have not used it much)

jimcav
07-24-2018, 06:11 PM
years ago you could take all priority packaging and turn it inside out and thus have free supplies use it for non-priority shipping. I saw many folks doing this over the years. then they caught on and started putting "priority mail" labeling on the inside of the envelopes and boxes.

cribbit
07-25-2018, 02:37 AM
$7.25

What are the limits on the contents? It seems like they just bake the cost of the package into the postage, the postage on the bubble mailers you buy there is quite low.

kramnnim
07-25-2018, 06:30 AM
What are the limits on the contents? It seems like they just bake the cost of the package into the postage, the postage on the bubble mailers you buy there is quite low.

Has to weigh under 70 pounds. (lol)

Most stuff that will fit in a Priority flat rate envelope is light enough to ship First Class, which is a few dollars cheaper. You can print the First Class labels from your Paypal account. Priority labels are also cheaper through Paypal.

mdeth1313
07-25-2018, 06:56 AM
Has to weigh under 70 pounds. (lol)

Most stuff that will fit in a Priority flat rate envelope is light enough to ship First Class, which is a few dollars cheaper. You can print the First Class labels from your Paypal account. Priority labels are also cheaper through Paypal.

Not true. 1st class only goes to 13 oz.

Other thing about 1st class is the random path it takes to get to you Sometimes it's as fast or within a day or two of priority. Then there are the other times - I'd estimate about 40% of the time where your package travels all over the place (for no apparent reason) to get to you.

pdxharth
07-25-2018, 09:59 AM
Also keep in mind the legal sized envelopes. They are 7 bucks to ship and you can cram a lot in there, even a 2XL wool jersey (though the 3XL is pushing it).

They are the best way to ship clothing items and many other things.

Plus, as a bonus, they are not plastic. While not very reusable unless you are careful, they are definitely easy to recycle.

eBAUMANN
07-25-2018, 10:29 AM
Not true. 1st class only goes to 13 oz.

Other thing about 1st class is the random path it takes to get to you Sometimes it's as fast or within a day or two of priority. Then there are the other times - I'd estimate about 40% of the time where your package travels all over the place (for no apparent reason) to get to you.

they changed it, first class goes to 16oz now.

and yes, these envelopes rule, but you have to re-use em or order em (for free), no PO's keep em on hand.

ive been turning flat rate envelopes (the cardboard ones) inside out for YEARS, great for sending things first class when you dont have other supplies on hand.

ColonelJLloyd
07-25-2018, 10:39 AM
they changed it, first class goes to 16oz now.

I guess my postage meter at work didn't get the memo. I think it is still 13oz for First Class.

eBAUMANN
07-25-2018, 10:50 AM
I guess my postage meter at work didn't get the memo. I think it is still 13oz for First Class.

Yep, it sure didnt ;)

Boston --> LA
16 oz
First Class
$4.94 via Paypal

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/835/29764473948_89714d585d_z.jpg

KJMUNC
07-25-2018, 11:02 AM
wow this is great....just ordered 25 to replen my shipping stock

Shoeman
07-25-2018, 11:05 AM

It is only 13oz if you purchase retail (thru USPS). Ebay, Paypal & other online sellers it is 16oz.

eBAUMANN
07-25-2018, 12:18 PM
It is only 13oz if you purchase retail... Who in the hell would do such a thing?! :p

unterhausen
07-25-2018, 02:42 PM
If I need one of the less common priority mail boxes, I go to the shop at a local grocery store. The post offices around here have a very limited number of options.

I also use paypal to ship, seems like it's cheapest. I always have to google for the page though, I don't think paypal wants you to do that for some reason