PDA

View Full Version : 3T Exploro or Open UP: anyone here own one?

fa63
07-24-2018, 11:07 AM
Looking for some real-life feedback on the 3T Exploro frameset. I know they can be polarizing, but let's put the whole "aero gravel" thing aside for a moment and let me know how you like the ride :)

The new flat mount version with the improved seatpost binder intrigues me...

Edit: now looking at the Open U.P. as well....

Thanks!

93KgBike
07-24-2018, 03:05 PM
This video of riding a pair of them in the Atlas Mountain Range of Morocco has nearly got my checkbook out. They look pretty cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfbFkfRRb7A

Must ... resist ... coolness.

donevwil
07-24-2018, 03:26 PM
The latest Bicycle Quarterly (https://www.compasscycle.com/shop/print/bq-64-summer-2018/)has a review.

fa63
07-24-2018, 04:15 PM
This video of riding a pair of them in the Atlas Mountain Range of Morocco has nearly got my checkbook out. They look pretty cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfbFkfRRb7A

Must ... resist ... coolness.

Thanks for sharing; it was a fun video to watch! The bikes look pretty nice too :)

fa63
07-24-2018, 04:16 PM
The latest Bicycle Quarterly (https://www.compasscycle.com/shop/print/bq-64-summer-2018/)has a review.

Thanks; I will have to check it out.

adampaiva
07-24-2018, 04:50 PM
it was mostly praise from Jan. Definitely worth a read if you're thinking about this frame.

marciero
07-24-2018, 05:35 PM
That they are designed to be aero is weird for gravel bike. Or maybe it;s totally cool. I like that they are designed by the Cervelo guy, Vroomen White. I always liked the Cervelos, though I never owned or even rode one.
One design feature I like that is shared by the Open and also Firefly and some others is the dropped chainstay for clearance. Firefly apparently has a 3-D printed ti piece for this.

floxy1
07-24-2018, 05:48 PM
I rode one for a couple hours last week and was really impressed. It was setup as a gravel race bike with 650b x 47mm (?) tires. It was very well mannered, stiff but not harsh and seemed fast on pavement, particularly given the wide tires. They are too expensive for my blood but I enjoyed the ride.

AZR3
07-24-2018, 06:54 PM
I’ve had my Exploro for a few months, got almost 1000 miles on it and have enjoyed it immencly. I bought some Nextie 650b carbon wheels and run WTB Byways tubeless, no flats or any issues with that combo. I’ve don’t about 50% of those miles on gravel, which is why I picked the byways, they’re good enough for both paved roads and the long gravel sections that are on my routes.

The frame has been solid, I have the original Team version so no flat mounts and front 15x100 TA. I wish they would have gone with 12x100 to start with, limits the amount of wheels you can run as there isn’t a lot of 15x100 wheels. I’d love to snag some of the cheaper Roval deep 700c disc wheels but they’re only 12x100.

I’m running SRAM Force 1x with 10-42 cassette, Force clutch rear derailuer and a WolfTooth 42 oval ring up front. So far I haven’t run into any chain drop issues and it’s all be smooth sailing thus far.

I was looking at the OPEN UP(PER) but figured I’d go for the aero framed Exploro as I could run 650b gravel wheels or switch to deep 700c wheels for an aero road bike. It’s a very versatile machine and I don’t regret getting one

R3awak3n
07-24-2018, 07:34 PM
Its a pretty cool bike and it crossed my mind but I ended up going for an OPEN instead.

Main reasons are - Hate the cable routing of the exploro (or bikes that have that routing). Aero seatpost not for me, I prefer a round seatpost so I can use the post I want. At the time post mount brakes (cool to see you now get the flat mounts). Color and aesthetics, just like the way the OPEN looks better.

That said I am sure its a great bike and I like what OPEN and 3T are doing

AZR3
07-24-2018, 07:48 PM
One if the reasons I picked the Exploro over the UP was because the UP looked too much like my Cannondale Evo so I figured I have the skinny road bike covered and the Exploro could cover the “aero” road bike as well as a gravel bike. Plus I own an original Cervelo S3 (recently decided to try and sell it since i am very happy with the Exploro) with that top tube cable entry and it doesn’t bother me.

R3awak3n
07-24-2018, 07:57 PM
One if the reasons I picked the Exploro over the UP was because the UP looked too much like my Cannondale Evo so I figured I have the skinny road bike covered and the Exploro could cover the “aero” road bike as well as a gravel bike. Plus I own an original Cervelo S3 (recently decided to try and sell it since i am very happy with the Exploro) with that top tube cable entry and it doesn’t bother me.

I think that makes sense if you are going to use it on the road and into the aeroness of it. It is not something I need/want so I wasn't looking for it. I also don't have a Cdale evo (I wish I did) :D

Is yours the new Exploro with the flat mounts?

AZR3
07-24-2018, 08:38 PM
Love my Evo, gonna brag a bit, it’s sitting at 5.45kg/11.9lbs :)

I have a Cervelo S3 for an aero frame and figured I could configure the Exploro to pull double duty as an aero road frame with deep 700c wheels and a gravel bike with 650b wheels. So it’d cover two bikes and I could sell my S3 but still have an aero frame.

Unfortunately no, it’s an original Team frame. I don’t really care either way if it’s flat mount or not but I do wish it was 12x100 TA up front, oh and having the brake hose through the fork looks nicer than the zip tied mounts and external routing that mine has. I’ve thought of buying the new fork but then I’d either have to paint it white to match or strip all the paint off the fork and frame, I did that to the Evo, and while I love the nude carbon look the time it takes to strip it all is not something I want to do again lol.....although I suppose I could sell my frame/fork and buy a ready to paint Exploro and have it all without the work, but my wallet is still recovering from the initial build lol

bitpuddle
07-25-2018, 02:22 AM

This was a good article. Was surprised that he liked it.

bitpuddle
07-25-2018, 02:25 AM
I like that they are designed by the Cervelo guy, Vroomen White.

That would be Gérard Vroomen. Phil White was his partner, I believe (at Cervelo, not Open/3T).

fa63
07-25-2018, 03:58 AM
Have you ridden your Exploro with 700c wheels / road tires? If so, how is the feel? I have read some reports that the frame can be harsh with smaller (28c) tires.

I have a Cervelo S3 for an aero frame and figured I could configure the Exploro to pull double duty as an aero road frame with deep 700c wheels and a gravel bike with 650b wheels. So it’d cover two bikes and I could sell my S3 but still have an aero frame.

marciero
07-25-2018, 05:31 AM
That would be Gérard Vroomen. Phil White was his partner, I believe (at Cervelo, not Open/3T).

Thanks for the correction! I guess with Cervelo it was "Vroomen-White", not "Vroomen White".

marciero
07-25-2018, 05:44 AM
Aero seatpost not for me, I prefer a round seatpost so I can use the post I want. At the time post mount brakes (cool to see you now get the flat mounts). Color and aesthetics, just like the way the OPEN looks better.

That said I am sure its a great bike and I like what OPEN and 3T are doing

The impression I got from the BQ article was that the adjustments, seatpost in particular, were a bit finicky-torque wrench warnings- and he was concerned about over torqueing when he tried to eliminate a creak during the ride. It all worked out though; nothing broke. There was something about oval saddle rail clamp limiting choice of saddle but it sounds like there is also an option for round.

On the plus side, the GCN guy remarked that the squared off shape helped stabilize the saddle bag.

jruhlen1980
07-25-2018, 07:20 AM
A guy I ride with has one, seems to like it well enough. However he needed some work after dirty kanza - some issue with his bottom bracket and RD I think. That part isn't unusual, every bike needs some love after kanza. But there are some proprietary parts on the 3T that have to be ordered from Italy so he waited several weeks to get the bike back.

Also apparently the RD mounting is weird.

fa63
07-25-2018, 07:27 AM
A guy I ride with has one, seems to like it well enough. However he needed some work after dirty kanza - some issue with his bottom bracket and RD I think. That part isn't unusual, every bike needs some love after kanza. But there are some proprietary parts on the 3T that have to be ordered from Italy so he waited several weeks to get the bike back.

Also apparently the RD mounting is weird.

Thanks for the input. The RD hanger is different indeed; it comes off when you take off the thru-axle. Supposed to make removing the rear wheel easier, but not sure if it works that well in practice.

AZR3
07-25-2018, 08:13 AM
Have you ridden your Exploro with 700c wheels / road tires? If so, how is the feel? I have read some reports that the frame can be harsh with smaller (28c) tires.

I have not. I was waiting for some of the new rim profiles from either lightbike/farsports/Yoelo to come out before I bought a 700c wheelset. I’m looking at the 56mm deep 30mm external/23mm internal width tubeless rim they have, which would be strictly for road duty. I’d run a 25mm or 28mm tire and it’d stretch to over 30mm so I should be able to run nice low pressures to avoid any harshness. I run my 650b WTB 47mm Byways tubeless at 28-30psi on gravel and 42psi if it’s all paved roads and some where in between when it’s a good mix of either. At those pressures and with that much sidewall it’s too squishy to be harsh lol

fa63
07-26-2018, 10:59 AM
Now looking at the Open U.P. as well; revised the original post to reflect this. Let me know if you have one and what you think, especially when riding it in a road configuration.

dieonthishill
07-26-2018, 11:08 AM
Now looking at the Open U.P. as well; revised the original post to reflect this. Let me know if you have one and what you think, especially when riding it in a road configuration.

I have the new OPEN UP with flat mount brakes. Best bike I have ever owned. Just buy one, you'll be happy.

Macadamia
07-26-2018, 11:09 AM
you guys see the latest Exploro ad?

https://i.imgur.com/HPUJ2oV.jpg

fa63
07-26-2018, 11:17 AM
Do you do much road riding with it, or mostly gravel?

I have the new OPEN UP with flat mount brakes. Best bike I have ever owned. Just buy one, you'll be happy.

yinzerniner
07-26-2018, 11:22 AM

I've got an Open U.P. first gen which I'll be building up as soon as I have time away from the office.

Plan on going with:
SRAM Red Etap Hydro 2x WiFli
Easton EC70 AX Bars
Ergon CF3 Post
Enve Stem
Specialized Power Elaston Saddle
SRAM Red GXP Crank
Reynolds ATR 700 Wheels
Maxxis Rambler 40 or Panaracer Gravelking SK 38
Shimano XTR or Crank Bros Eggbeaters Pedals

Heard that the FD of Etap doesn't play well with larger tires, and going to test that out and see how it goes.

I have not. I was waiting for some of the new rim profiles from either lightbike/farsports/Yoelo to come out before I bought a 700c wheelset. I’m looking at the 56mm deep 30mm external/23mm internal width tubeless rim they have, which would be strictly for road duty. I’d run a 25mm or 28mm tire and it’d stretch to over 30mm so I should be able to run nice low pressures to avoid any harshness. I run my 650b WTB 47mm Byways tubeless at 28-30psi on gravel and 42psi if it’s all paved roads and some where in between when it’s a good mix of either. At those pressures and with that much sidewall it’s too squishy to be harsh lol

The Enve ARs are very close to what you're looking for in terms of measurements (25/31/49-55 inner/outer/height), and the Reynolds ATR is very close as well (23/32/41 inner/outer/height). Right now on my ATRs I run 28mm Pro Ones which balloon to 31-32mm for road only so the interface is ideal for fast jaunts. And man is that combo FAST! I run them at 55-60psi and the ride is sublime.

Clean39T
07-26-2018, 12:12 PM
The impression I got from the BQ article was that the adjustments, seatpost in particular, were a bit finicky-torque wrench warnings- and he was concerned about over torqueing when he tried to eliminate a creak during the ride. It all worked out though; nothing broke. There was something about oval saddle rail clamp limiting choice of saddle but it sounds like there is also an option for round.

On the plus side, the GCN guy remarked that the squared off shape helped stabilize the saddle bag.

Aero seatposts seem to be a pretty big part of the overall aero equation - lots of dirty air flowing under riders' nether regions I'm guessing... :rolleyes:

R3awak3n
07-26-2018, 01:05 PM

Apparently that has been improved on the new version, unless Jan was ridding the new version. I should take a look, I have the mag at home.

Now that we are also talking about the OPEN.

I ordered my frame a few months ago (10 weeks to be exact) and still don't have it. Not sure what is happening but OPEN has told the shop its on its way but have not provided any tracking number so I don't know when the bike will get here.

I was quoted 1 month and now its 2 and half. I need the bike for D2R2 ( really don't want to do it on my road bike) but also to do some bikepacking this fall. I am starting to think OPEN is not a good company to deal with. Hoping the bike comes by Monday or I will have to seek a different alternative (local shop has em ready available but not a fan of that shop and will have to pay tax :/)

fa63
07-26-2018, 01:21 PM
Thanks for that info. I have read about some people having warranty claim related issues when dealing with OPEN; then again, people are more likely to complain than praise a company on the internet. Let us know if your frame shows up on Monday.

Now that we are also talking about the OPEN.

I ordered my frame a few months ago (10 weeks to be exact) and still don't have it. Not sure what is happening but OPEN has told the shop its on its way but have not provided any tracking number so I don't know when the bike will get here.

I was quoted 1 month and now its 2 and half. I need the bike for D2R2 ( really don't want to do it on my road bike) but also to do some bikepacking this fall. I am starting to think OPEN is not a good company to deal with. Hoping the bike comes by Monday or I will have to seek a different alternative (local shop has em ready available but not a fan of that shop and will have to pay tax :/)

cgolvin
07-26-2018, 01:41 PM
My only dealing with OPEN was my inquiry regarding a frame that one of their retailers was selling on eBay. (Thread here (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=223916), tl;dr: FD mount broke, being sold as "1X only" with OPEN's blessing)

OPEN's endorsement of this retailer's approach left a bad taste in my mouth about them.

dieonthishill
07-26-2018, 01:45 PM
Do you do much road riding with it, or mostly gravel?

Bout half and half. I have two wheelsets, 700c road and 650b 2.1" gravel. Bike shreds on pavement and gravel.

sparky33
07-30-2018, 12:34 PM
Curiosity got me, so I went and demo'd an Exploro. It was really good on and off road...the frame dampens vibration and goes when you step on it, etc...my thoughts match this:

I rode one for a couple hours last week and was really impressed. It was setup as a gravel race bike with 650b x 47mm (?) tires. It was very well mannered, stiff but not harsh and seemed fast on pavement, particularly given the wide tires. They are too expensive for my blood but I enjoyed the ride.

I would be between M and L sizes on this, and I wonder how a 71.5 head angle on the M would compare to the very familiar 72.5 head angle on the the L that I rode.

R3awak3n
07-30-2018, 01:20 PM
https://scontent-lga3-1.cdninstagram.com/vp/bbc829f36895279474582b16cd041a48/5C0E1B6A/t51.2885-15/e35/37262456_294552574425557_1414318466986409984_n.jpg

I just got mine. i will do a little write up after I get it built and a nice ride (D2R2 yay)

I can tell this already, the details on this frame are fantastic. The internal routing, little things like a notch on the seatpost clamp that makes it perfectly straight. A hole on the seattube so you know how far the post should be in.

The modular cable system is just great and such a good idea.

livingminimal
07-31-2018, 08:43 AM
I just got mine. i will do a little write up after I get it built and a nice ride (D2R2 yay)

I can tell this already, the details on this frame are fantastic. The internal routing, little things like a notch on the seatpost clamp that makes it perfectly straight. A hole on the seattube so you know how far the post should be in.

The modular cable system is just great and such a good idea.

Freaking stoked for you. My friend just got the new UPPER and they are so sweet. I think if my current gravel/all-road/daily bike brakes, I will definitely be getting a new UP.

R3awak3n
07-31-2018, 08:48 AM
Freaking stoked for you. My friend just got the new UPPER and they are so sweet. I think if my current gravel/all-road/daily bike brakes, I will definitely be getting a new UP.

thanks dude, super psyched too. I would have got the UPPER but was just above my budget (hell, the UP was too but I made it work). I also would have to paint the UPPER.

One of my favorite paints was the yeti one, wish I had been able to get that one

sparky33
07-31-2018, 10:47 AM
The new U.P. is the sweet spot in the Open line-up in having the nicer fork but not shedding frame material for the sake of a few grams. The color is also perfect.
Is yours a large or medium?

thanks dude, super psyched too. I would have got the UPPER but was just above my budget (hell, the UP was too but I made it work). I also would have to paint the UPPER.

One of my favorite paints was the yeti one, wish I had been able to get that one

Veloo
05-08-2021, 09:57 AM
Bump.
Any recent feedback on the 3T Exploro? Specifically the Pro GRX 2X?

Got a friend looking to get one.

https://us.3t.bike/3003-thickbox_default/exploro-pro-grx-2x.jpg

dmurphey
05-10-2021, 09:52 PM
I have a ton of miles on my 3T Exploro Ltd over the last year and it is a great bike. I came from nice custom steel w nice feel and this bike also has nice compliance but it is very light. I have 95% road miles and then 5% varying gravel. I have the very nice stock 3T fat aero carbon 700 wheels w GP 5K 700 x 32 that match the width of the rims very well. I switch to 3T 650 wheels w 650 x Donnely 47 for gravel. This is my first SRAM Etap electronic and hydraulic discs, and they are quite nice. I don't ride my other bikes much this last year. I run 2 x gearing which is great on the road. On wet muddy gravel the space between the small chainring and the frame is very tight. I had chain suck once on muddy slushy gravel. I think 1 x gearing is the way to go if you are planning lots of gravel riding, esp wet stuff. The new Exploro Max came out after I got my bike, and it looks even cooler. I searched and reviewed and thought the Exploro was high quality and a great design 1 year ago. There are more similar aero dual purpose bikes out since then but still 3T has a good record and great reviews.

claytramey
05-14-2021, 10:10 AM
I have a ton of miles on my 3T Exploro Ltd over the last year and it is a great bike. I came from nice custom steel w nice feel and this bike also has nice compliance but it is very light. I have 95% road miles and then 5% varying gravel. I have the very nice stock 3T fat aero carbon 700 wheels w GP 5K 700 x 32 that match the width of the rims very well. I switch to 3T 650 wheels w 650 x Donnely 47 for gravel. This is my first SRAM Etap electronic and hydraulic discs, and they are quite nice. I don't ride my other bikes much this last year. I run 2 x gearing which is great on the road. On wet muddy gravel the space between the small chainring and the frame is very tight. I had chain suck once on muddy slushy gravel. I think 1 x gearing is the way to go if you are planning lots of gravel riding, esp wet stuff. The new Exploro Max came out after I got my bike, and it looks even cooler. I searched and reviewed and thought the Exploro was high quality and a great design 1 year ago. There are more similar aero dual purpose bikes out since then but still 3T has a good record and great reviews.

Currently considering an exploro for a gravel bike I have an Allied Alfa for the road and a Yeti SB130 for the trails so this would be purely used on gravel. Im in the read all the reviews/opinions stage!

YesNdeed
05-17-2021, 08:38 AM
Currently considering an exploro for a gravel bike I have an Allied Alfa for the road and a Yeti SB130 for the trails so this would be purely used on gravel. Im in the read all the reviews/opinions stage!

I'm in the review stage as well.The Exploro Race Max tops my list at current. At this point, I only hope they become available before I change my mind again. 3T and a couple of online retailers had decently specced Ekar builds that I'd be tempted to pull the trigger on.

djg21
05-17-2021, 09:13 AM
Looking for some real-life feedback on the 3T Exploro frameset. I know they can be polarizing, but let's put the whole "aero gravel" thing aside for a moment and let me know how you like the ride :)

The new flat mount version with the improved seatpost binder intrigues me...

Edit: now looking at the Open U.P. as well....

Thanks!

A friend of mine who races gravel at a high level rides an Open UP. He is training for Unbound Gravel and other ultra endurance gravel events. He really likes the Open UP. He has it set up with a Lauf Grit SL fork and aero bars.

If I were doing Carbon, I think I’d look at the Allied Able. I opted for Ti because of the durability. I’m not winning races and was more concerned about longevity.