PDA

View Full Version : What to do : Original Power Tap Pro

mktng
07-24-2018, 09:05 AM
Have a fully functional and in vcg "original" Power Tap Pro. (laced to Mavic CXP)
First generation power tap hub. Along with functioning head unit and HR strap.

Honestly..... I don't know what to do with it.

I don't even think the current Power Tap company will credit me if i inquired about trading it in for something more current.

What are my options?

Figured i'd shoot them an email inquiring about it.

R3awak3n
07-24-2018, 09:16 AM
Powertap museum?

but for real, cycleops has EXCELLENT customer service so hit them up and see if there is any trade in program

wallymann
07-24-2018, 09:26 AM
...suggest mentioning you're considering moving to a crank- or pedal-based system...while your OG PT is fully depreciated, they might credit you a benji toward something new to avoid losing you to the competition.

mt2u77
07-24-2018, 11:18 AM
I've got the same situation. In my tinkering days (aka, before kids) I was planning to use the hub to make a homemade ski erg. I still think it would work great for something like that, but for resale-- good luck. No one wants wires, no one wants a non-interconnected computer that has to plug into a PC running ancient software, and it's a pretty crummy stand alone wheel.

mktng
07-24-2018, 11:34 AM
They replied that they don't have a current trade in promotion going on.
Maybe i'll just wait.

Not looking to make bank off this wheel.

It can always...at the end of the day.. be installed on my daily commuter. For those commuter watts.

Outdated - Definite.
Robust (as a hub) - Definitely

weiwentg
07-24-2018, 11:46 AM
Is it possible there are some teams with junior riders in your area who would be looking for a free power meter? That is the only thing I can think of to do with it. It doesn't get you any money back, but it does get you some psychic benefits.

Mark McM
07-24-2018, 12:02 PM
I've got the same situation. In my tinkering days (aka, before kids) I was planning to use the hub to make a homemade ski erg.

Just for our edification, how do you make a ski erg?

mt2u77
07-24-2018, 12:22 PM
Just for our edification, how do you make a ski erg?

http://fasterskier.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files/2009/06/wall-mount_josh_1514.jpg

Basically like this pic, but the redneck version:). I was going to use hardware from an old NordicTrack, rigged to a bike chain running through a cog on the Powertap wheel mounted in a bolted down Kurt Kinetic fluid trainer. I never did get around to it, so I'm sure it would run into some complications, but that was the basic premise.

Mark McM
07-24-2018, 12:40 PM
http://fasterskier.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files/2009/06/wall-mount_josh_1514.jpg

Basically like this pic, but the redneck version:). I was going to use hardware from an old NordicTrack, rigged to a bike chain running through a cog on the Powertap wheel mounted in a bolted down Kurt Kinetic fluid trainer. I never did get around to it, so I'm sure it would run into some complications, but that was the basic premise.

Ah, so a stationary trainer type ergometer. This looks a bit like a vertical version of a stationary rowing erg.

I was kind of hoping there was skiing powermeter that could be used out on the trail!

luv2bike
07-24-2018, 01:53 PM
If it's one of the 12mm axle ones it can be updated to 11 spd with the installation of a Campy splined hub and 11 spd cassette. Combo works great with Shimano drive trains also.

Shameless plug....I just happen to have such a hub and cassette for sale :)

foo_fighter
07-24-2018, 02:01 PM
That's not the issue. The first gen was wired only and didn't have ANT+....making its use less functional.

If it's one of the 12mm axle ones it can be updated to 11 spd with the installation of a Campy splined hub and 11 spd cassette. Combo works great with Shimano drive trains also.

Shameless plug....I just happen to have such a hub and cassette for sale :)