PDA

View Full Version : RIP Donald Kaul. Some great memories riding what you started.

Cicli
07-23-2018, 07:16 PM
Posted from my second night unsupported and having a blast. Drank alot of craft beer the last two days. 5 more to go.

https://ragbrai.com/2018/07/23/ragbrai-co-founder-donald-kaul-dies-at-83/

Rudy
07-23-2018, 09:16 PM
Fine newspaperman. Rode a Masi; buddy and co-conspirator on RAGBRAI, John Karras, a Raleigh Pro. Mighty fancy bicycles in the early 70s.

thunderworks
07-23-2018, 10:21 PM
Really a wonderful, funny guy. I was in the bike business in Grinnell, Ia., and a frame builder, Jeff Bock, had a frame building studio upstairs from my shop. The Des Moines Register bought custom bikes for Kaul and Karras from Jeff. I built the bikes and sold the Campy NR components to equip the bikes. It was one of the highlights of my early career in the bike business. Occasionally Don would stop in Grinnell when he was passing through Iowa and take us to dinner. It was always fun-- and funny.

He should have won. Pulitzer!

Rudy
07-24-2018, 05:42 PM
The Des Moines Register bought custom bikes for Kaul and Karras from Jeff. I built the bikes and sold the Campy NR components to equip the bikes.

What year might that have been, Dk?

thunderworks
07-25-2018, 07:09 AM
The Des Moines Register bought custom bikes for Kaul and Karras from Jeff. I built the bikes and sold the Campy NR components to equip the bikes.

What year might that have been, Dk?

I think it was 1976. Might have been 1977. . . A long time ago.

R.
Thunderworks

Rudy
07-25-2018, 08:39 PM
I think it was 1976. Might have been 1977. . . A long time ago.

R.
Thunderworks

Grew up in DSM and rode with those guys including the inaugural RAGBRAI in ‘73. Left the state in 1977; would have been interesting to see those custom-builts. Painted Register Peach?