PDA

View Full Version : Vintage screw 'n glue frame - belt drive?

cribbit
07-23-2018, 04:02 PM
Album (https://imgur.com/a/V8E87Po)

Do you think it's feasible to unscrew one seatstay to slip a belt drive in?

I'm going to preemptively guess the answer is I'm crazy, this is a bad idea, but I gotta know for sure.

(also what should I try to pay for the frame, if I took it?)

charliedid
07-23-2018, 04:38 PM

I'm going to preemptively guess the answer is I'm crazy, this is a bad idea, but I gotta know for sure.

Yes,

We have been talking about it at work...

cribbit
07-23-2018, 05:09 PM
Yes,

We have been talking about it at work...

That is stunning! Do you have details on how it was done?

charliedid
07-23-2018, 06:09 PM
That is stunning! Do you have details on how it was done?

No, sorry I did a Google search again knowing it has been done before. Let me see if I can find any info on that one.

JAGI410
07-23-2018, 07:13 PM
Looks simple enough to do. Remove seatstay brace, unscrew seatstay, open just wide enough to slip belt through, put screws back in. Do it!

charliedid
07-23-2018, 07:42 PM
Looks simple enough to do. Remove seatstay brace, unscrew seatstay, open just wide enough to slip belt through, put screws back in. Do it!

You got it

stien
07-23-2018, 07:57 PM
Or you could buy a Veer kit for any bike. I’ve played with this idea before.

charliedid
07-23-2018, 09:05 PM

That's an interesting concept, I had not seen that before. I can't imagine it rides as smooth as a Gates belt on a frame with sliding drops but it certainly is an option.

Ever ride one?

pbarry
07-23-2018, 09:23 PM
For the OP: Alans were screwed and glued, but the SS/ST junction may not be glued.(?) That said, taking out half of the assembly process is problematic if you put any torque into the reworked frame. There are Loctite products that can be used to [re]assemble the dis-assembled joint. Dig the idea, just throwing a caution flag. ;) But you might be ok with that part only! OSTB for sure.

pbarry
07-23-2018, 09:30 PM

Dented TT example available locally for $75, but they seem to fetch in the $200-300 range if in nice condition.

charliedid
07-24-2018, 07:17 AM
For the OP: Alans were screwed and glued, but the SS/ST junction may not be glued.(?) That said, taking out half of the assembly process is problematic if you put any torque into the reworked frame. There are Loctite products that can be used to [re]assemble the dis-assembled joint. Dig the idea, just throwing a caution flag. ;) But you might be ok with that part only! OSTB for sure.

A couple zip-ties and it will be fine!

OSTB?

Plum Hill
07-24-2018, 12:04 PM
Should work.
Curt Goodrich had a Gates drive MTB that used an S&S coupling a few inches from the drop out. He said the stay was quite flexible when the coupling was opened.

unterhausen
07-24-2018, 12:30 PM

I'm trying to figure out how they haven't just reinvented the chain

cribbit
07-24-2018, 04:27 PM
Dented TT example available locally for $75, but they seem to fetch in the $200-300 range if in nice condition.

I'm seeing them getting $400-500 on eBay.