PDA

View Full Version : modern, affordable lugged cx frameset w/ level TT?

seanile
07-22-2018, 08:35 PM
hey, that panasonic thread struck a chord with me, particularly the classic cantilever cyclocross version of theirs with the nice tange prestige tubing.
i love the:
-level TT
-31.8 downtube
-28.6 TT/ST
-1 1/8 HT
-vertical dropouts
-Lugged & raked fork
-canti or v-brake posts preferred

i can't seem to think of any that aren't missing something on that list...soma, all city, BMC, gios, handsome.
does anyone know of any modern production versions of this style bike with those attributes that have fender mounts?

http://cycle.panasonic.jp/products/pos/custom_order/fcxc16/img/index/pdct_slide.jpg

pbarry
07-22-2018, 08:55 PM
Would build you one, and they are already fairly priced, plus, the exchange rate.

seanile
07-22-2018, 09:00 PM
Would build you one, and they are already fairly priced, plus, the exchange rate.

i thought they had shifted to semi-custom given their pre-arranged frame offerings. do they still do full custom?

pbarry
07-22-2018, 09:05 PM
i thought they had shifted to semi-custom given their pre-arranged frame offerings. do they still do full custom?

Their website shows a price differential for custom, but adding fender mounts shouldn't be that much of an upcharge if you went with stock geometry. Add $150 for a steel fork [just a guess]. Give them a call, they are super nice on the phone and respond to emails quickly as well.

AngryScientist
07-22-2018, 09:07 PM
following, and interested as well.

my list of requirements would include DT shifter mounts.

speaking of which, and i hadnt followed the other thread closely, what's the deal with ordering one of those panasonics from the US lately?

seanile
07-22-2018, 09:07 PM
Their website shows a price differential for custom, but adding fender mounts shouldn't be that much of an upcharge if you went with stock geometry. Add $150 for a steel fork [just a guess]. Give them a call, they are super nice on the phone and respond to emails quickly as well.

appreciate the thought, though none of their offerings have anything on my list though, so adding fender mounts doesn't quite get me there.

following, and interested as well.

my list of requirements would include DT shifter mounts.

speaking of which, and i hadnt followed the other thread closely, what's the deal with ordering one of those panasonics from the US lately?

there seems to be a shop named yellowjersey.org in wisconsin that someone said was an importer. funny website, but they seem to be up-to-date and responsive per reviews on the web

sib
07-22-2018, 09:14 PM
This model appears to have fenders and down tube shifters.
Lovely colour as well.

http://cycle.panasonic.jp/products/pos/custom_order/fss7/

pbarry
07-22-2018, 09:52 PM
appreciate the thought, though none of their offerings have anything on my list though, so adding fender mounts doesn't quite get me there.

there seems to be a shop named yellowjersey.org in wisconsin that someone said was an importer. funny website, but they seem to be up-to-date and responsive per reviews on the web

The DT on the Fango is at least 1 3/8" diameter, with the rest of the tube selection looking pretty traditional. Vertical dropouts, check; level TT, check. Canti offering, check..

Iirc, you are stouter so looking for OS tubes, my bad. The trad Panasonic inspiration for the thread threw me. ;)

seanile
07-22-2018, 10:20 PM
This model appears to have fenders and down tube shifters.
Lovely colour as well.

http://cycle.panasonic.jp/products/pos/custom_order/fss7/

1 inch steerer tube :( but you are not wrong, lovely color.

The DT on the Fango is at least 1 3/8" diameter, with the rest of the tube selection looking pretty traditional. Vertical dropouts, check; level TT, check. Canti offering, check..

Iirc, you are stouter so looking for OS tubes, my bad. The trad Panasonic inspiration for the thread threw me. ;)

hah fair enough. don't know why, but when i peeked at the fango, it didn't look like a level TT, odd. guess my only holdout is the lugs and the tube diameter ( though alas, you are correct, i am stout), which is strictly aesthetic. i will definitely keep this one in mind then. cheers!

would love to hear from anyone else too!

oldpotatoe
07-23-2018, 06:56 AM
1 inch steerer tube :( but you are not wrong, lovely color.

hah fair enough. don't know why, but when i peeked at the fango, it didn't look like a level TT, odd. guess my only holdout is the lugs and the tube diameter ( though alas, you are correct, i am stout), which is strictly aesthetic. i will definitely keep this one in mind then. cheers!

would love to hear from anyone else too!

Go to a shop that deals with Waterford and have them talk to Richard(Schwinn). Pretty sure he could make you what you want..

seanile
07-23-2018, 11:51 AM
Go to a shop that deals with Waterford and have them talk to Richard(Schwinn). Pretty sure he could make you what you want..

yea, he and rivendell have crossed my mind, but they aren't in the affordable category :(
i found out about the bridgestone rb-t bike today, though old and with a 1" steerer, they seem quite like what i'm seeking. still curious if anything modern exists though

jtbadge
07-23-2018, 11:52 AM
Don't think you're going to find anything lugged with a 1 1/8" headtube without going full custom.

spacemen3
07-23-2018, 12:11 PM
i found out about the bridgestone rb-t bike today, though old and with a 1" steerer, they seem quite like what i'm seeking. still curious if anything modern exists though

I'd talk to gis_guru about the RB-T he's selling. It's more of a touring bike, but it's a nice build and I'm sure he can find a 1-1/8th quill stem adapter for you.

eBAUMANN
07-23-2018, 12:56 PM
if you want a steel fork anyways, dont be afraid of 1" threadless...it performs pretty much the same as 1-1/8 and would suit the aesthetic of the bike better than carbon.

Gummee
07-23-2018, 03:34 PM
a lot of the 'classic' builders like Battaglin, et al are building modern lugged or TIGed frames.

M

FlashUNC
07-23-2018, 04:34 PM
Rock Lobster. Paul will build all that and a bag of chips.