PDA

View Full Version : RCC - Rapha Cycling Club - Worth it?

DarrinNYC
07-22-2018, 08:29 PM
Hi all...

I've come to the Paceline KNOWING I'll get some feedback from current and former RCC (Rapha Cycling Club) members (and some non-members as well). Do you feel the annual membership fee ($200) is "worth it?" My main goal is to hop on with serious cyclists and ride with groups of like-minded folks. I admit to liking nice things, and I feel like many members of this club (especially since I live in Manhattan) would likely have similar interests. I'm looking for "spirited" rec rides anywhere between 50 and 100 miles.

Discuss please. :)

Thanks,
Darrin

Pinned
07-22-2018, 08:39 PM
While RCC rides are great, the NYC Clubhouse does have open rides so you could go test the waters to see if it's a good fit before you commit to anything monetarily.

In my eyes, the bike hire perk alone is worth the membership cost if you travel at all.

kingpin75s
07-22-2018, 09:52 PM
Depends on how often you take advantage of the free coffee with your membership. Or what you value from the membership.

My riding buddy from Boulder was just visiting town today and drinks his coffee at Rapha daily now. He will be looking to see what else the shop and community offers as well, but the coffee covers the cost for him.

cgolvin
07-22-2018, 09:56 PM
For me it's been well worth it for several reasons:
- Have met a good crew of riders of varying strengths but all sharing a very positive attitude, very welcoming and simply enjoy the pleasure of riding. Not a single aggro jerk yet (knock on wood, and this is definitely #1);
- Free coffee;
- Some fun social activities;
- Early access to sales on Rapha kit*;
- Free fast shipping (originally on all orders, now I think there's a $150 minimum)*.

*Yes, these benefits come with buying their merch, but presumably people who join the club like the kit.

I was hoping to take advantage of the bike hire perk, which was certainly a big factor in my initial decision, but I've not traveled as much since joining. The one time I had the opportunity the bikes were all rented out, nearly a month in advance. From conversations with others this is more the rule than an exception, one needs to plan far in advance. That said, I think that in many cities Rapha has relationships with other rental shops to provide a discount when all their bikes are rented. Still, you're going to pay a lot more than $25/day and the bike is unlikely to be as nice.

Some people really like the 'Mondial' printed magazine, but they just announced that they're moving that to online.

I definitely second the earlier post recommending that you join one or more of their open rides. In the early days the rides here were more serious undertakings, good distance and challenging climbing (suits me). As time passed they began to cater more to less experienced riders, which I totally understand and endorse, it's just that the balance has tilted too far in that direction IMO. Fortunately, we have a very active membership so there are a good number of more advanced rides organized by the membership rather than by Rapha.

Happy to answer any questions, here or via PM.

cderalow
07-23-2018, 07:04 AM
I’d visit the clubhouse and do some of the rides first.

The hire option would make it worth it if you travel.

I’d sign on if they did coffee or a pastry for free (I’m not a coffee drinker).

The DC Clubhouse opened this summer, and they’re still working out the kinks on their sponsored rides (routes etc).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AngryScientist
07-23-2018, 07:18 AM
The hire option would make it worth it if you travel.

maybe. the concept probably sounds better than the reality, for most people.

I was close to joining, for this reason, but was basically told at a few of the clubhouses that i would be close to that unless i had planned pretty far in advance, there was little chance they would have a bike my size available.

that just doesnt work with the way i travel. if they had bikes pretty available, at short notice i probably would have joined, but that's not the case, at least right now.

Neil
07-23-2018, 08:07 AM
If you travel a lot it's fantastic - book your tickets, then book out a bike from the nearest clubhouse/cafe for the times you have free. You can then pick up routes from the guys at the cafe, or join one of their rides.

I was in Colorado over the weekend a couple of weekends back, grabbed one of their Canyons and enjoyed the front range.

Also, if you have one nearby then you can make your membership fee back in coffee in around three months.

adampaiva
07-23-2018, 08:54 AM
I was hoping to take advantage of the bike hire perk, which was certainly a big factor in my initial decision, but I've not traveled as much since joining. The one time I had the opportunity the bikes were all rented out, nearly a month in advance. From conversations with others this is more the rule than an exception, one needs to plan far in advance. That said, I think that in many cities Rapha has relationships with other rental shops to provide a discount when all their bikes are rented. Still, you're going to pay a lot more than $25/day and the bike is unlikely to be as nice.

well this is a buzkill. I have been somewhat considering a membership, mostly for the option to rent a bike on work trips to LA / SF. I pretty much can guarantee I won't have more than a week's notice for these trips so would never really have the option of booking a bike a month in advance.

say it aint so ??

Neil
07-23-2018, 08:56 AM
I got the bike from Boulder with 45 minutes notice. This may not always be possible, so booking as far in advance is sensible.

oldpotatoe
07-23-2018, 09:29 AM
I got the bike from Boulder with 45 minutes notice. This may not always be possible, so booking as far in advance is sensible.

Might have something to do wth the 4-5 places in Boulder that rent decent road bikes..

Neil
07-23-2018, 09:42 AM
This is true. Last time round I got an Allez from University Cycles - the Canyon that I got from the Raphé was cheaper though. And I got a coffee.

DarrinNYC
07-23-2018, 09:44 AM
Clearly, I need to do it!!!! Heck, the NYC clubhouse is only a 10 minute ride away, and I will never say NO to free coffee! lol....

NOW I need to wait for another Rapha sale before I can spend money on the RCC member kit!!! I don't believe joining gets you a discount, does it???

Thanks, Darrin

jensenn
07-23-2018, 09:48 AM
if you're that close to the store, signing up just for the free coffee alone is worth it. have a friend who works a couple blocks down and he gets multiple coffees everyday that he easily drinks his membership fee back within a month. it also seems that the aggro rider is more focused on the local nyc crits than club rides

R3awak3n
07-23-2018, 10:06 AM
I have it for this year but will probably not for next year.

I think its great if you use the coffee offer/ride with the club. I stoped drinking coffee and don't do the rapha rides and reason I got it was because of the bike hire which I think it is also amazing. That said I am thinking about getting a travel bike.

$200 is a bargain if you drink coffee and live/work near by. You will get your money back within a few months. You also get a hat ($35 and a pouch and a few other things so first year at least you are paying more like $150)

thegunner
07-23-2018, 10:10 AM
if you're that close to the store, signing up just for the free coffee alone is worth it. have a friend who works a couple blocks down and he gets multiple coffees everyday that he easily drinks his membership fee back within a month. it also seems that the aggro rider is more focused on the local nyc crits than club rides

except for when they all go up the WSH on wednesdays and decide it's ride like a clown day, sorry, just my personal observation from commuting the opposite direction.

cgolvin
07-23-2018, 10:19 AM
well this is a buzkill. I have been somewhat considering a membership, mostly for the option to rent a bike on work trips to LA / SF. I pretty much can guarantee I won't have more than a week's notice for these trips so would never really have the option of booking a bike a month in advance.

say it aint so ??

Can't do that, alas, though clearly it differs by clubhouse.

At the risk of contributing to chaos, I'd point out that there is no penalty for cancelling a reservation. So if you even think you'll travel a month+ out, you can use the online tool to reserve a bike in your size, and if your travel plans don't pan out just liberate it (and someone making last minute plans might get happy). There's no waiting list but you can send a note to the clubhouse manager (e.g., rccla@rapha.cc) and ask that they notify you if a bike frees up on the dates you're after.

That doesn't make a compelling argument for joining by itself, but if the other bennies carry weight then maybe it helps.

BTW, I've been told that there are a nontrivial number of members who don't even ride a bike, just observe that the calculus based on free coffee makes sense.

R3awak3n
07-23-2018, 10:38 AM
Can't do that, alas, though clearly it differs by clubhouse.

At the risk of contributing to chaos, I'd point out that there is no penalty for cancelling a reservation. So if you even think you'll travel a month+ out, you can use the online tool to reserve a bike in your size, and if your travel plans don't pan out just liberate it (and someone making last minute plans might get happy). There's no waiting list but you can send a note to the clubhouse manager (e.g., rccla@rapha.cc) and ask that they notify you if a bike frees up on the dates you're after.

That doesn't make a compelling argument for joining by itself, but if the other bennies carry weight then maybe it helps.

BTW, I've been told that there are a nontrivial number of members who don't even ride a bike, just observe that the calculus based on free coffee makes sense.

I am not surprised. There is a place on my way to work that does unlimited free coffees for..... $45 a month.... so rapha is a bargain and you get a bunch more stuff on top of it.

I wish they gave me a pair of those pool sandals :cool:

cgolvin
07-23-2018, 10:49 AM
I wish they gave me a pair of those pool sandals :cool:

Ha! Within the RCC Forum there was a … very active discussion about those.

R3awak3n
07-23-2018, 10:55 AM
Ha! Within the RCC Forum there was a … very active discussion about those.

ahah that is awesome. I want a pair but I do prefer the non RCC ones. Not into the gray/pink... I think pink goes better with black/I could skip the pink altogether

MagicHour
07-23-2018, 11:17 AM
Not a member and don’t plan to be - don’t travel enough and own 0 Rapha kit to justify cost. I will say I joined a couple of the RCCNYC open rides and had a good time with a nice group.
One particular ride, last season they were very welcoming and let me join their group out on the road, after having just been shunned from another club group (of which I was a current member) but hadn’t signed up for ride in advance. So I’d join RCC over the other club based on that experience alone.

MagicHour
07-23-2018, 11:19 AM
Nm

fogrider
07-24-2018, 01:34 AM
after having just been shunned from another club group (of which I was a current member) but hadn’t signed up for ride in advance. So I’d join RCC over the other club based on that experience alone.

Wow, was there a particular reason why the other club ride would let you in the ride other than not signing up in advance? I mean the roads are usually free to ride!

MagicHour
07-24-2018, 09:36 AM
Strict rules, overly litigious society I suppose...ride leader a bit of a jerk :)

Wow, was there a particular reason why the other club ride would let you in the ride other than not signing up in advance? I mean the roads are usually free to ride!

leooooo
07-24-2018, 02:48 PM
If by spirited, you mean hammerfest, RCC is not about that life. I was a member for 2 years, did about 10 group rides for those 2 years. Being in NYC, you have free options for spirited group rides without paying a membership fee.

Nooch
07-24-2018, 02:53 PM
perhaps a detour, but is the rapha rcc different than the crca/rapha rcc, as far as it pertains to NYC and racing? And if so -- where the heck is any info on the CRCA Rapha team?

thegunner
07-24-2018, 03:14 PM
perhaps a detour, but is the rapha rcc different than the crca/rapha rcc, as far as it pertains to NYC and racing? And if so -- where the heck is any info on the CRCA Rapha team?

different, although i think most of the CRCA RCC racers are also RCC members (maybe it's a prerequisite).

My teammate used to be on there and it seems like you have to be "in the club" to know about it. all i know is they went from 2 guys to like 15 in one year.

simpsonn
07-27-2018, 09:23 AM
I'm hoping a current RCC member can do me a favor. I'm heading to Boulder and was considering signing up for RCC to rent a bike and figured it might come in handy for return trips there. Can someone see what bikes they have available in a S or XS for August 3-4?

oldpotatoe
07-27-2018, 09:48 AM
Not a member and don’t plan to be - don’t travel enough and own 0 Rapha kit to justify cost. I will say I joined a couple of the RCCNYC open rides and had a good time with a nice group.
One particular ride, last season they were very welcoming and let me join their group out on the road, after having just been shunned from another club group (of which I was a current member) but hadn’t signed up for ride in advance. So I’d join RCC over the other club based on that experience alone.

YGBSM..Even if I didn't join the Rapha club, I certainly leave the other club, just for this reason..:eek:

thegunner
07-27-2018, 09:52 AM
YGBSM..Even if I didn't join the Rapha club, I certainly leave the other club, just for this reason..:eek:

i'm assuming he's talking about NYCC... in which case they have liability waivers / signups, mostly because there were a few cyclist related deaths in the park a few years ago.

it's not as asinine as it sounds.

cgolvin
07-27-2018, 10:30 AM
I'm hoping a current RCC member can do me a favor. I'm heading to Boulder and was considering signing up for RCC to rent a bike and figured it might come in handy for return trips there. Can someone see what bikes they have available in a S or XS for August 3-4?

I checked — there is not a single bike available those days, irrespective of size. In fact, there wasn't a single bike available for the entirety of the schedule displayed initially (I think about 3 weeks' worth).

As I mentioned earlier, they might have a relationship with another rental shop to offer discounted rentals to members when all the bikes are booked. You might contact the shop to ask.

simpsonn
07-27-2018, 10:50 AM
I checked — there is not a single bike available those days, irrespective of size. In fact, there wasn't a single bike available for the entirety of the schedule displayed initially (I think about 3 weeks' worth).

As I mentioned earlier, they might have a relationship with another rental shop to offer discounted rentals to members when all the bikes are booked. You might contact the shop to ask.

Thank you for checking