PDA

View Full Version : Suspension stems

sjbraun
07-22-2018, 04:38 PM
Recently, one of my friends whose opinion on bike matters I trust more than anyone else, bought a Specialized Roubaix with their new "Future Shock" suspension. Not one to be easily impressed, my friend is amazed at how the front suspension improves the ride. He impressed by how the suspension smooths all the micro shocks transmitted through the fork to the bars. As a result, he says he's much less fatigued at the end of a ride, and my friend puts up some big miles.
I'm not not planning to run out and buy a new Specialized, my Hampstens meet my needs quite nicely. But for my wife, who is having some trouble coming back from a recently broken wrist, might benefit from anything that that results in less road chatter coming through to the bars. Does anyone here have experience with the ShockStop suspension stem? It looks like it might soften the ride, similarly to the Specialized system.

https://redshiftsports.com/shockstop-suspension-stem

Curious to get this group's thoughts.

Steve

fa63
07-22-2018, 05:02 PM
I have been using one for several months. It does a very good job of absorbing small bumps, even though I installed the hardest elastomers in there because I was worried it would be too soft. I don’t notice any movement while I am sprinting or climbing.

vladoo
07-22-2018, 05:06 PM
...I have no experience with that, but I remember Peter Sagan on Paris-Roubaix, when he was adjusting his stem during the ride in 40+ km/h :)

Btw. from my point of view lower tyre pressure can make a small difference in comfort.

93KgBike
07-22-2018, 05:15 PM
It does work, although having the angle of your hands change is not ideal, still.

But we are pretty much full circle now...

https://images.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fs-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com%2F736x%2F25%2F36%2Fd7%2F2536d7d0f17 b5494578cf480749dff35.jpg&f=1

to

http://bicycletimesmag.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/pinarello-k8-s-1-800x526.jpeg

fa63
07-23-2018, 08:28 AM
I have not noticed any effects from the change in angle. It just feels like a normal stem.

It does work, although having the angle of your hands change is not ideal, still.

Wheever
07-23-2018, 01:19 PM
I have several hundred miles on a shock stop, and it's an amazing piece of kit.

It works as well if not better than advertised, is beautifully made and manufactured. I had to drop my stem slightly to make up for the 1* I lost, but beyond that there was no change to my bike.

Once you're used to it, you don't even notice it's there. You stop bracing for bad washboard, and just ride. There's no change to the handling, and the only time you notice it is when you hit something that otherwise would have banged your teeth together and barely feel it in your hands. :D

Seriously, it's an amazing piece of kit. Highly, highly recommended!

CSTRider
07-23-2018, 09:40 PM
I have several hundred miles on a shock stop, and it's an amazing piece of kit.

It works as well if not better than advertised, is beautifully made and manufactured. I had to drop my stem slightly to make up for the 1* I lost, but beyond that there was no change to my bike.

Once you're used to it, you don't even notice it's there. You stop bracing for bad washboard, and just ride. There's no change to the handling, and the only time you notice it is when you hit something that otherwise would have banged your teeth together and barely feel it in your hands. :D

Seriously, it's an amazing piece of kit. Highly, highly recommended!

Totally concur - put one on my "all-arounder" for the Belgian Wafer ride in April, and left it on because it's just so comfortable under all conditions.

I recommend experimenting with elastomers - i think you can go "softer" than Redshift recommends.

Wheever
07-24-2018, 02:02 PM
Totally concur - put one on my "all-arounder" for the Belgian Wafer ride in April, and left it on because it's just so comfortable under all conditions.

I recommend experimenting with elastomers - i think you can go "softer" than Redshift recommends.

I used the elastomers recommended for my weight, and am very pleased with the firmness. For me, and the roads around here, it's pretty much perfect.

I really hope the shock stop gets the attention it deserves, because I think there are a lot of people whose riding would be much more pleasant if they had one.

bambam
07-24-2018, 02:17 PM
Questions to the users, Was wondering do you roll the bars up so that at the low point your not worried about your hands sliding off the hoods?

Any "uh oh,my stem just broke" feeling if it bottoms out?
Anybody using on a cx bike?

Thanks,
BamBam

CSTRider
07-24-2018, 02:49 PM
Questions to the users, Was wondering do you roll the bars up so that at the low point your not worried about your hands sliding off the hoods?

Any "uh oh,my stem just broke" feeling if it bottoms out?
Anybody using on a cx bike?

Thanks,
BamBam

No "stem broke" feeling in my experience of about 1200 miles in mixed terrain (road, gravel, and non-tech single track).

Yes, using on my "all-around" cross bike - pic below

David Tollefson
07-24-2018, 03:28 PM
My issue is that it only starts at 90mm. I use 100mm on my road bike, but 70mm on my gravel rigs (on purpose -- maximizing front center).