PDA

View Full Version : Stages Powermeter

eolson124
07-22-2018, 04:35 PM
I'm in the process of a new road build using Ultegra R8000. I plan to use a compact crank (50/34) and a wide-range cassette (11-30). I'm considering using a Stages Ultegra Powermeter crankset. Is this Powermeter worth the additional $775? I have no direct experience with powermeters; but, I enjoy other metrics provided by my Wahoo Element Bolt. I welcome your comments. EWO

dem
07-22-2018, 05:16 PM
I have had 2 Stages, they've struggled a bit with their battery doors, but are now onto Gen3, so I expect that is solved by now. When I had a Gen1 fail out of warranty, they upgraded the model to the Gen2 for free.. so no complaints.

They have all the limitations of all single-sided power meters, so there's that.

The 'best deal' Powermeter to me is a Powertap hub - $399 (or less) bulletproof, measures "all" the power, plus you need a wheelset anyways, right?

Also have a Garmin Vector2 (dual) set of pedals.. would not recommend due t the finicky nature and typical garmin bugginess, but maybe the Vector3 has addressed that (still expensive for dual sided though)

nooneline
07-22-2018, 07:03 PM
I think the real question with power meters is less about whether to have one or not to have one, but more: if you have one, are you willing to learn what the numbers mean, or do you need to buy a license for a system that does a really good job of analyzing and explaining your data to you?

If you can answer those questions it'll be a lot easier to answer the first one.

.RJ
07-22-2018, 07:34 PM
For $775, no not worth it. I'd rather buy a Quarq at that money.

Adam
07-22-2018, 08:32 PM
Stages Ultegra left arm only is $579

Pinned
07-22-2018, 08:38 PM
It's only worth owning if you're going to use it.

I have a Stages, it works well and was easily the best option for me cost wise.

RobJ
07-22-2018, 08:43 PM
I think the real question with power meters is less about whether to have one or not to have one, but more: if you have one, are you willing to learn what the numbers mean, or do you need to buy a license for a system that does a really good job of analyzing and explaining your data to you?

If you can answer those questions it'll be a lot easier to answer the first one.

Very valid point. Since the OP mentions being interested in metrics, that's a step in the right direction.

I personally have been using PM's for a number of years for training for road racing and duathlons, so of course, I would recommend. If you have only one bike then the crank-based ones should be sufficient, but the Stages work very nicely and accurately. I use the PowerTap pedals on my road bikes, swapping among them and have a Stages on my all-road/gravel bike. There are some nice deals on older models or closeouts, but the R8k is too new so you will probably be stuck with full price. Clever Training I believe has a 10% coupon that can be applied towards the Stages etc.

Andy sti
07-22-2018, 11:22 PM
There are a few 6800 stages cranks for sale in the classifieds right now. They will work perfectly with your 8000. Save some money and give it a try.

bitpuddle
07-22-2018, 11:47 PM
Is this Powermeter worth the additional $775?

I don’t think anyone here can answer that question honestly. Whether it is “worth” the money is entirely up to you.

- are you currently following a structured training plan?
- are you working with someone who will interpret power numbers correctly?
- will you take the time to generate accurate fitness baselines periodically?

If the answer to any of these is “no,” I’m not sure why you want a power meter.

If you just want a fun new toy, sure; go for it.

damocles
07-23-2018, 04:28 AM
I'll stay out of the "whether it's worth or not" part of this question, but will give you another Shimano based power meter option to consider...

I've always been an SRM guy when it comes to powermeters, but have recently been converted to Power2Max.

Check out the Power2Max NGeco Rotor 3D24 option here:

https://power2max.cc/collections/ngeco-road-powermeter/products/ngeco-rotor-3d24

The 4 bolt Shimano version will take Ultegra or Dura Ace chainrings and work with your Shimano 24mm bottom bracket options.

Cost is $490 for the power meter, $150 for the Rotor cranks + whatever the cost of your Shimano chainrings...

My DA9100 setup is below. Cleanest, best value "Shimano based" power option available right now in my opinion.

simpsonn
07-23-2018, 09:49 AM
I recently picked up a lightly used Gen 2 Ultegra 6800 crank and it's been great so far. As someone else mentioned, if you can find a deal on one I'd recommend it.