PDA

View Full Version : Risks of refurbished computer?

oliver1850
07-22-2018, 03:22 PM
Need a cheap unit for web access. This is dirt cheap and would be all I need. Wondering if it's risky to buy refurbished from a security perspective.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/112616597604?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&fromMakeTrack=true

Veloo
07-22-2018, 03:37 PM
Not risky if you get it from a legit place. It's a multi million dollar industry. We have a couple of outfits that do it here. A friend is a teacher and they only buy these refurbs cause it's so cheap and if anything goes wrong, they just replace it.
I also did a bit of a consultant thing for another company that does refurb. I was pretty impressed with their volume of business.

If you can find a place local that sells them, it might be easier to deal with as far as returns and warranty.

paredown
07-22-2018, 03:39 PM
I have mainly bought refurbs for all the home computers, and for some clients as well.

Sometimes there is more physical wear on the cases than you expect, but most reputable resellers wipe and reload the O/S so there should be no security risks--especially with Windows from bigger reseller.

They can back out of a standard load so that when you first log in it creates you as a brand new user/admin on the box, so literally nothing is saved from the original setup parameters.

RFC
07-22-2018, 03:42 PM
I have bought several refurbs without any problems. Best Buy has many refurb models available.

vladoo
07-22-2018, 03:42 PM
I work as a teacher, too and we are buying stuff like that. For that price it is great deal.

buddybikes
07-22-2018, 03:53 PM
What OS running on it? Unix variation - sure, newer windows, think may hang a bit. If HDD is old, then more apt, of course, to crap out on you at wrong time

you could probably search out your local dump for something that works for free!
Bet someone here has an old laptop sitting in the attic..

Ronsonic
07-22-2018, 04:36 PM
I'm running refurbs at home and at work and have never had anything more than one minor problem (faulty headphone jack).

I've been buying from walmart.com and Newegg. Both have been great.

sokyroadie
07-22-2018, 05:15 PM
I'm running refurbs at home and at work and have never had anything more than one minor problem (faulty headphone jack).

I've been buying from walmart.com and Newegg. Both have been great.

+100 Newegg is great

pbarry
07-22-2018, 06:27 PM
New Chrome Books and Android wifi tablets provide internet access for low $$ investment.

AngryScientist
07-22-2018, 06:51 PM
i buy factory refurbished electronics whenever i can.

have had great luck with home computers, camera gear and even garmin stuff.

i would not hesitate if factory refurbished by OEM.

also agree that chromebooks are great for general net surfing and light duty computer work.

likebikes
07-22-2018, 08:58 PM
chromebook/chromebox (if still made)

biker72
07-23-2018, 05:20 AM
I've purchased a number of computers from Dell Outlet. All are still in use by family members.

oliver1850
07-23-2018, 02:42 PM
Thanks all. Don't know how many checked the link and location but I'm guessing these came from WalMart one way or another. They are selling this model currently in stores for about 3X the $. I'm wondering if they are actually refurbished, or customer returns, scratch and dents, or?? My concern is that they may have something left on them by previous users.

palincss
07-23-2018, 02:50 PM
Install Linux on it and you won't have to worry about that at all.

weiwentg
07-23-2018, 03:23 PM
Isn't it possible to wipe the hard drive yourself and install the OS fresh? You can do this with Macs, although the OS is free to Mac users.

redir
07-23-2018, 03:42 PM
I bought a refurbished receiver years ago and it came in without a power cord :crap:

I would probably not want to buy a refurb gaming system but for accessing the Internet sure.