PDA

View Full Version : Mixed Surface Riding

campy man
07-22-2018, 12:01 PM
Went out this morning for something different ... a mixed surface ride. Started on asphalt, jumped on some fire road & horse trails than finished on asphalt for the journey home. While my dirt road handling skills are rusty, it was a nice break from riding surface streets. On the journey home I was thinking how nice to ride on the trails with no cars. :)

Hoping I can do a lot more of these type of rides in the future.

Ride safely Paceliners :)

R3awak3n
07-22-2018, 12:20 PM
mixed surface rides are the best kind of rides. I love gravel but its nice to jump onto a smooth road for a few miles, you get that "ahhhhhhhhhhh" feeling.

Drmojo
07-22-2018, 12:22 PM
great post
I try doing this every chance i get
More now that I have been struck by cars, trucks and an Suv,4 times total
And thanks also for not using the useless misnomer- GRAVEL
yuk
how

Gummee
07-22-2018, 12:39 PM
I like the gravel roads better, but to get there I gotta ride pavement.

...so every gravel ride I do is mixed surface

M

sitzmark
07-22-2018, 12:44 PM
All of the road riding I do is "mixed surface" ... chip seal, alligator pavement, potholes, and on occasion brand new asphalt ... :)

Jdg68
07-26-2018, 01:48 PM
I do a lot of these as well especially in cities where I can connect with gravel, singletrack etc. Lots of fun to link up different pieces of terrain.

From what I see there is a ton of stuff you can ride in the greater LA area that takes you off surface streets.

Paid In Full
07-26-2018, 02:11 PM
Mixed terrain rides have rewarded me with gems all around the state! Love a mixed terrain ride.

Any suggestions as to a dependable mapping site for locating rideable off road stretches? I use a mix of google and strava heat maps to see what looks passable, but it's not the most efficient.

David Kirk
07-26-2018, 03:41 PM
If you don't mix pavement and dirt here you really don't ride. I'm fine with that.

dave

AngryScientist
07-26-2018, 03:46 PM
i would venture to say that almost all dirt road typed rides have some "mixed surface" component built in. it's hard to avoid actual roads with blacktop all together.

the "gravel bike" boom that's currently going on is certainly evidence that more and more cyclists are transitioning to more off-pavement riding.

it's cool. and yes - it's nice to have a "road" where a bike can legitimately go faster than a car!