PDA

View Full Version : OT: Is this a mountain lion

joosttx
07-18-2018, 04:05 PM
This morning was the shake down ride on my new 44 bike that is awesome but hang on. While riding up Mt Tam I came across what I first thought was a bobcat on the trail. It was eating something and then trotted up the hill and stopped. I stopped about 100ft away from it to take some pictures. It was smaller than an adult mountain lion but its shape and gate reminded me of mountain lions. I assumed it was a big bobcat. However, after reviewing the pictures I took, I now am thinking it is a mountain lion perhaps a juvenile. Any thoughts? The blown up picture I lighten up too. The last picture is of my new 44 MTB. It is rad.

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1821/41687047150_1198327c5c_b.jpg

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/840/28608350257_d330d5bfe4_b.jpg

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1767/29623963878_010ff16b97_b.jpg

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/923/28608335207_f0303b67fc_b.jpg

BikeNY
07-18-2018, 04:07 PM
What kind of tail did it have?

joosttx
07-18-2018, 04:10 PM
What kind of tail did it have?

did not see. Obviously, that would be a tell.

shoota
07-18-2018, 04:10 PM
Sure looks like a mountain lion to me.

bigbill
07-18-2018, 04:12 PM
I vote mountain lion based on the profile. I see bobcats all the time and they don't have that shape.

joosttx
07-18-2018, 04:14 PM
I vote mountain lion based on the profile. I see bobcats all the time and they don't have that shape.

thats my sense to. Also it moved more like a mountain lion than a bobcat. the local FS are taking a look at the pictures now.

jtakeda
07-18-2018, 04:17 PM
Wow. I’m pretty certain that’s a mountain lion.

I’ve never seen one while riding

Andy sti
07-18-2018, 04:20 PM
Scary if it's a mountain lion. Never know if mama is around.

The new bike is super rad! Those rear stays are so short - love it. 130mm fork? 66 ht angle?

OtayBW
07-18-2018, 04:21 PM
Chupacabra....

Steve in SLO
07-18-2018, 04:24 PM
Wow. I’m pretty certain that’s a mountain lion.

I’ve never seen one while riding

But they've probably seen you.:eek:
Voting mountain lion, too, based on scale, and that you usually cannot see much air under a sitting bobcat.

texasbbq
07-18-2018, 04:27 PM
I'm saying bobcat. A damn big bobcat though. Ear shape and spine to me say bobcat. I'd like to hear what authorities say.
Coo bike!

smead
07-18-2018, 04:48 PM
Yep looks like a large adult bobcat to me. Cougar cubs have spots only when very young .. Beautiful animal - great shot!

MikeD
07-18-2018, 04:49 PM
i vote mountain lion based on the profile. I see bobcats all the time and they don't have that shape.

+1

Ken Robb
07-18-2018, 04:52 PM
I think the head looks too small for a juvenile mountain lion. The body looks to be a large, muscular bobcat. If this was a juvenile cougar that would grow more then the head would be way too small for an even bigger body.

Ozz
07-18-2018, 04:57 PM
But they've probably seen you.:eek:
Voting mountain lion, too, based on scale, and that you usually cannot see much air under a sitting bobcat.
+1
head-size relative to body as well.....

jtakeda
07-18-2018, 05:10 PM
Yep looks like a large adult bobcat to me. Cougar cubs have spots only when very young .. Beautiful animal - great shot!

I think the spots are light pixels from trying to push the photo using some sort of photoshop or post production program.

joosttx
07-18-2018, 05:21 PM
I'm saying bobcat. A damn big bobcat though. Ear shape and spine to me say bobcat. I'd like to hear what authorities say.
Coo bike!

This is the exact email the Forest Service Biologist sent me after speaking with him and then sending him the pictures.

"Thank you very much. You were being watched by a mountain lion."

So he thinks it is a mountain lion.

I think the spots are light pixels from trying to push the photo using some sort of photoshop or post production program.

I think those spots are a function of the filter. I really jammed the filters up for the shot to be lighter and more contrasted.

texasbbq
07-18-2018, 05:29 PM
[QUOTE=joosttx;2396815]This is the exact email the Forest Service Biologist sent me after speaking with him and then sending him the pictures.

Oohh, whole different vibe then. I'd get some pepper spray.

joosttx
07-18-2018, 05:34 PM
[QUOTE=joosttx;2396815]This is the exact email the Forest Service Biologist sent me after speaking with him and then sending him the pictures.

agreed a whole different vibe.

FlashUNC
07-18-2018, 05:37 PM
Well that's creepy. Totally mountain lion.

sooshi
07-18-2018, 05:41 PM
I vote mt. lion. I ran into a juvenile mt. lion while mt. biking in Idyllwild and it had the same profile.

merlinmurph
07-18-2018, 05:45 PM
Cool looking bike!

Wow, mt lion, huh? Wherever there are little mt lions, there are big mt lions. I would be scared sh*tless to ride there. Maybe take up knitting?

Luwabra
07-18-2018, 05:46 PM
thats awesome. if I die by a mountain lion so be it. thats a rare rare thing to witness. you know your riding some BA terrain when you have time to snap a pic of a cougar. wow.

soulspinner
07-18-2018, 05:52 PM
Niiiice Kittyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy…….:eek:

sfghbiker
07-18-2018, 05:53 PM
I have certainly seen mountain lions (and bobcats) biking on Mt. Tam. I bet that thing is a mountain lion.

bigbill
07-18-2018, 05:57 PM
I'm moving to NW Arizona and they have tons of deer and elk and mountain lion sightings. Maybe I'll clip a bell to my bike. I think if a mountain lion wants you, you'll never see it.

heartattackride
07-18-2018, 06:26 PM
My worst nightmare and favorite dream (owning a 44) all in 1 post.

jtbadge
07-18-2018, 06:30 PM
Nice bike tho

C50
07-18-2018, 06:40 PM
I was going to say mountain lion when I saw the photos and happy to see it confirmed by the expert. Being in Florida we call them panthers and I got see one in the wild a few years ago. I was riding on a paved trail and I saw something big come walking out of the brush on the right side of the trail about 30 feet in front of me and walk very casually across the trail, pause for just a bit as it turned its head and looked then proceeded to keep walking into the brush on the left side of the trail. It was big, too big to be a bobcat but very "cat like" in shape so I knew it wasn't a coyote. I talked with one of the Rangers I saw later and told him that he might think I am crazy but I was pretty sure I saw a panther and he had no problem believing it. He explained that they roamed an area from 90 to 200 miles up and down the Hillsborough river and although rare to see one it wasn't out of the question. He also said that in the particular area where we were there was so much potential food that a cyclist wasn't high on the menu. Easy for him to say, he wasn't the one 30 feet from it! Beautiful animal in a powerful predator sort of way!

Seramount
07-18-2018, 06:44 PM
while living in MT, saw a mt lion take down a deer once...the raw power they posess is seriously impressive.

apex predators are awesome. revere them, don't hate them.

beeatnik
07-18-2018, 06:58 PM
Was going to vote mountain lion before reading the response from the Forest Service. Bobcats are chubbier.

I saw an adult mountain lion in the Verdugo Mountains a few years ago. I came around a bend and 200 feet up the road I saw a giant dog, whose eyes glowed like a cat's. I thought, "that dog has weird eyes." Then, I froze in terror and realized I was being watched by a giant cat. I did exactly what you're not 'sposed to do in that situation. Mean Streets!

weaponsgrade
07-18-2018, 07:10 PM
Wow, was that on Railroad Grade? I saw a mountain lion in Downieville once a long, long time ago. Nice bike.

Clean39T
07-18-2018, 07:34 PM

Calnago
07-18-2018, 07:46 PM
Young (still has spots) cougar. Just this past May there was a mountain biker who was killed by a cougar just east of Seattle. Extremely rare, however.

bikinchris
07-18-2018, 07:48 PM
I would make SURE I never rode alone up there and that I always had bear spray and a stout stick. They are cats. They can't stand letting something go by quickly without jumping on it.

joosttx
07-18-2018, 08:04 PM
I would make SURE I never rode alone up there and that I always had bear spray and a stout stick. They are cats. They can't stand letting something go by quickly without jumping on it.

Man, I rather have a gun*. Bear spray has a major blowback problem.

*I do not plan on doing that.

C40_guy
07-18-2018, 09:28 PM

No need for the pepper spray.

If a mountain lion is going to eat you, it will come as a surprise. You will not have time to grab your pepper spray.

In my neck of the woods, we have coyotes. Different issue. I do carry pepper spray and a bear bell. I don't want to surprise them!

Funny, I've never seen them while running or riding on the 1100 acres of conservation land next to our neighborhood. On the other hand, one or two saunter through our back yard almost every night, usually around 2 am. Last week one came through around 8 pm! (I use a Blink XT as a trail cam).

Duende
07-18-2018, 09:54 PM
That was 100% a mountain lion. Seen them many times growing up in Tucson. Worse time was exiting Sabino Canyon at the top of a hill right before the descent to the parking lot! Man... I never pedaled harder in my life.

I’m surprised we don’t run into them more often gravel riding!

****!!! That is railroad grade!!

joosttx
07-18-2018, 09:57 PM
That was 100% a mountain lion. Seen them many times growing up in Tucson. Worse time was exiting Sabino Canyon at the top of a hill right before the descent to the parking lot! Man... I never pedaled harder in my life.

I’m surprised we don’t run into them more often gravel riding

It is the second one I have seen. The first one was a big one walking in the pasture on the north side of SFD as you descend into Olema. That one scared me. This one not so much. It was not that big. The Forest Ranger thinks its a 2 year old male.

Yeah it was on RRG!!!!

Duende
07-18-2018, 10:05 PM
It is the second one I have seen. The first one was a big one walking in the pasture on the north side of SFD as you descend into Olema. That one scared me. This one not so much. It was not that big. The Forest Ranger thinks its a 2 year old male.

Yeah it was on RRG!!!!

I think they are beautiful creatures. A mechanic at a bike store I worked at used to carry a gun with him on rides. Always thought that was macho BS. Better to ride with a buddy or group.

Unfortunately, I’m usually solo

texasbbq
07-18-2018, 10:28 PM
[QUOTE=texasbbq;2396820]

No need for the pepper spray.

If a mountain lion is going to eat you, it will come as a surprise. You will not have time to grab your pepper spray.

In my neck of the woods, we have coyotes. Different issue. I do carry pepper spray and a bear bell. I don't want to surprise them!

Funny, I've never seen them while running or riding on the 1100 acres of conservation land next to our neighborhood. On the other hand, one or two saunter through our back yard almost every night, usually around 2 am. Last week one came through around 8 pm! (I use a Blink XT as a trail cam).

Pepper spray on a chest holster not the bike with the right frame of mind will definately be better than nothing. It's going to take the cat a little while to "eat you." Even skinny azz bike riders!

oliver1850
07-18-2018, 10:32 PM
thats awesome. if I die by a mountain lion so be it. thats a rare rare thing to witness. you know your riding some BA terrain when you have time to snap a pic of a cougar. wow.

You are probably more likely to encounter coyotes, although there have been lots of reports of "panther" sightings in our area. I was making hay all weekend, had a big coyote following the tractor. He would walk between the corn rows right next to the tractor as I was mowing. Pretty brave for a coyote in daylight. I'm sure he was just looking for mice and rabbits, but 30 years ago you couldn't have gotten that close to one under any circumstance.

Luwabra
07-19-2018, 06:24 AM
You are probably more likely to encounter coyotes, although there have been lots of reports of "panther" sightings in our area. I was making hay all weekend, had a big coyote following the tractor. He would walk between the corn rows right next to the tractor as I was mowing. Pretty brave for a coyote in daylight. I'm sure he was just looking for mice and rabbits, but 30 years ago you couldn't have gotten that close to one under any circumstance.

I used to live in north central Washington in foothills of cascades. Was working and playing in mountain lion habitat daily for 6 years never saw one. Always new I had surely been watched but never actually got to see one in wild.
I’ve had coyotes run next to me on gravel roads at night a time or two here in Iowa but they don’t unnerve me at all.

charliedid
07-19-2018, 07:51 AM
I'm not big cat expert but that 44 sure is R.A.D!

Meow!

Bruce K
07-19-2018, 08:16 AM
A couple of years ago I encountered a Florida Panther while riding on Sanibel Island.

I saw a dark brown animal cross the street about 50 yards in front of me. I thought it was a Labrador Retriever at first and then realized the Head was all wrong.

Cool and a bit unnerving all at the same time.

BK

redir
07-19-2018, 08:39 AM
Looks like a lion to me. The Bob's we have here in the East anyway are more stout then that profile.

Beautiful site. Cat sightings are rare and looks like you got one from a nice safe distance ;)

benb
07-19-2018, 08:47 AM
Funny if you were here on the East Coast and sent that picture to a ranger/forest service whatever they'd go into Men In Black mode and tell you that you were hallucinating because there are no Mountain Lions left on the East coast. No matter how many people see them.

My favorite story around here is still the police officer seeing one described as 6' long at noon in full sun cross the street in front of his cruiser. He was discounted by the Feds as not being a reliable observer. As if he was a drunk at 3AM in the dark. Too bad, that was a year or two before they all started getting dash/body cams.

I would have thought this was a Bobcat.. though maybe if I'd seen it in person I'd have been able to tell it was too big.

We have Coyotes right in our suburban neighborhoods here, but I've never seen any wild cats with the exception that maybe I saw a Fisher Cat once.. could have been a big domestic cat too though.

Hank Scorpio
07-19-2018, 08:50 AM
Without a doubt jaguar shark.

oldpotatoe
07-19-2018, 08:50 AM
[QUOTE=joosttx;2396762]This morning was the shake down ride on my new 44 bike that is awesome but hang on. While riding up Mt Tam I came across what I first thought was a bobcat on the trail.

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1767/29623963878_010ff16b97_b.jpg

Mountain Lion...Bobcat smaller plus much 'hairier', furrier looking.

William
07-19-2018, 08:55 AM
We have Coyotes right in our suburban neighborhoods here, but I've never seen any wild cats with the exception that maybe I saw a Fisher Cat once.. could have been a big domestic cat too though.

I have definitely seen Fisher Cats on my property here in RI. A few years back we were waiting for the school bus early one morning at the end of our drive and I saw a cat cross the road into the woods about 50 - 60 yards away. It was way to big to be a domestic cat, paws were way too big as well and the ears were pointed...it definitely looked like a Bobcat.

William

Bruce K
07-19-2018, 09:04 AM
Fisher cat in the woods behind our house. Stupid a@@ neighbor leaves food out for it!

Vicious little things. At night when they “scream” it sounds like a woman is being murdered and you need to call 911.

Makes me nervous for our dog sometimes.

BK

benb
07-19-2018, 09:24 AM
I have definitely seen Fisher Cats on my property here in RI. A few years back we were waiting for the school bus early one morning at the end of our drive and I saw a cat cross the road into the woods about 50 - 60 yards away. It was way to big to be a domestic cat, paws were way too big as well and the ears were pointed...it definitely looked like a Bobcat.

William

The one I saw was a lot like your description, I've just never told people I know I saw one because of the distance away it was, I just couldn't be sure. It was more like 100-125 yards away.

If they are vicious I'm happy not seeing it up closer though.

Tony
07-19-2018, 09:26 AM
The coat looks similar to this
https://thumb7.shutterstock.com/display_pic_with_logo/51089/51089,1318982484,1/stock-photo-silhouette-of-a-dog-made-with-dog-photos-86925754.jpg

and the silhouette look similar to
https://thumb7.shutterstock.com/display_pic_with_logo/125977/125977,1288379461,1/stock-vector-fashion-dog-silhouette-for-your-design-63999070.jpg

Thinking another dog off leash!

William
07-19-2018, 09:27 AM
The one I saw was a lot like your description, I've just never told people I know I saw one because of the distance away it was, I just couldn't be sure. It was more like 100-125 yards away.

If they are vicious I'm happy not seeing it up closer though.

They definitely go out of their way to avoid people.

William

William
07-19-2018, 09:33 AM
Fisher cat in the woods behind our house. Stupid a@@ neighbor leaves food out for it!

Vicious little things. At night when they “scream” it sounds like a woman is being murdered and you need to call 911.

BK

The last one we saw was about the size of Rhea Basset. That was one big Fisher Cat, it looked at us for a moment, kind of like it was sizing us up, and decided it would go the other direction...though not in a hurry.

A guy at our gym had a run in with one. He let his dog out one night and didn't know that one was in the yard and his dog went after it. The Fisher Cat started ripping into his dog and he ran up and tried to kick it off and ended up getting his foot ripped up as well. Luckily it disengaged and the dog ran away from it. Big vet and medical bills followed. You don't want to mess with them.

William

redir
07-19-2018, 09:49 AM
I heard a fisher cat (not a feline) on the Virginia farm I lived on a few years ago. I know they are not supposed to be this far down south but being a New Englander myself I know what one sounds like. I assumed it was a Fisher and not the neighbor torturing people in his dungeon.

Kirk007
07-19-2018, 10:14 AM
Standard cougar approach is stealth and strike to neck, breaking neck, lights out. In this instance spray makes no difference. But: the recent attack/killed 3 year old male in Washington was repeated frontal charge. The carnivore experts I work with strongly encourage carrying spray in cat and bear territory. Now the attack in Washington was aberrational in many respects but solo riding in cat country, having a cannister of spray maybe worth considering (our if you fate is to be cat food well, having witnessed parents and in laws die slow, lingering painful deaths, kept unnaturally Alice by "modern medicine" well...)

fishwhisperer
07-19-2018, 11:08 AM
Have never seen a mountain lion while riding (let alone on such a well-trafficked trail), but would love to someday. From a distance, of course. Awe-inspiring animals and a fun reminder that we're visitors on something else's turf.

Last year during Grinduro on the last stage, coming down Mt. Hough, a baby bear ran right down the embankment onto the trail in front of me and ran with me for around 100 yards, no more than three feet off my front wheel, almost like he was pacing me. I thought it was a big puppy when I first saw him coming down the hill but his stride gave him away. I've never been more terrified while riding — the trail is super exposed on one side, and I knew mama couldn't be that far away... Let's just say that was my fastest descent ever down that trail once the bear got out of the way.

Glad you made it out of there unharmed. And congrats on that beautiful bike — very similar to my new hardtail and it's been eye-opening for riding up in Marin.

dana_e
07-19-2018, 04:18 PM
You can tell by size and ear shape

whateveronfire
07-19-2018, 04:27 PM
I vote mt. lion. I ran into a juvenile mt. lion while mt. biking in Idyllwild and it had the same profile.

Juveniles can have spots (they're born with them as kittens and then grow out of them). Definitely a catamount encounter. Very very cool.

Oh, and you weren't in danger. The Seattle incident notwithstanding, attacks by Mtn. Lions are exceedingly rare. P-22 lives in the 8 square miles of Griffith Park and no one ever sees him, much less is threatened by him and there are hundreds of thousands of people there every year. They're not called stealth cats idly.

joosttx
07-19-2018, 07:11 PM
I went up there with my son midmorning to search for tracks. I could not find any. There was plenty of tire tracks which may of covered the paw prints.. Anyway, I discovered what the cat was eating when I saw him, King Snake.

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/839/43517731581_e2f9738b15_b.jpg

RFC
07-19-2018, 09:00 PM
Great post! Thanks!

I had to look at this picture several times before offering an opinion.

Here in Scottsdale bordering the horse ranches I see Bobcats and Coyotes on a regular basis, along with the occasional Javelina. The Bobcats and Coyotes present no danger. They're after bunnies, not human babies. The coyotes are ghosts. You see them, look away, and they're gone. The Javelinas are to be treated with caution, but generally go on their way. I like wildlife that has adapted to suburban neighborhoods, even though the raccoons decimated my fish pond.

Looking at the picture, I began by thinking big male Bobcat. But the more I look, I think it is a young mountain lion. The fact that it is a juvenile and inexperienced is probably why you had a chance to see it.

Adult mountain lions are invisible Ninja killers. The general hiking rule is that if you see a mountain lion, it means it's stalking you and you better think quick about a defense. But with that, actual attacks are rare.

joosttx
07-19-2018, 09:11 PM
Great post! Thanks!

I had to look at this picture several times before offering an opinion.

Here in Scottsdale bordering the horse ranches I see Bobcats and Coyotes on a regular basis, along with the occasional Javelina. The Bobcats and Coyotes present no danger. They're after bunnies, not human babies. The coyotes are ghosts. You see them, look away, and they're gone. The Javelinas are to be treated with caution, but generally go on their way. I like wildlife that has adapted to suburban neighborhoods, even though the raccoons decimated my fish pond.

Looking at the picture, I began by thinking big male Bobcat. But the more I look, I think it is a young mountain lion. The fact that it is a juvenile and inexperienced is probably why you had a chance to see it.

Adult mountain lions are invisible Ninja killers. The general hiking rule is that if you see a mountain lion, it means it's stalking you and you better think quick about a defense. But with that, actual attacks are rare.

Good points. Just some more background. The Forest Rangers think its a 2 year mountain lion (not sure if they know one is in the area or not). I honestly dont think it was stalking me. When I rounded the corner and first saw it, it was eating that snake. Then it trotted up the hill and stopped. When I began riding towards it after taking pictures I disappeared into the bush below. I think I startled it while it was eating breakfast.

Coyotes and bobcats do not concern me. I ride with them all the time especially coyotes. I usually see about 4 or 5 bobcats each year. Sadly one I just saw was dead hit by a car. Anyway, mountain lions do bother me.

RFC
07-19-2018, 09:18 PM
Good points. Just some more background. The Forest Rangers think its a 2 year mountain lion (not sure if they know one is in the area or not). I honestly dont think it was stalking me. When I rounded the corner and first saw it, it was eating that snake. Then it trotted up the hill and stopped. When I began riding towards it after taking pictures I disappeared into the bush below. I think I startled it while it was eating breakfast.

Coyotes and bobcats do not concern me. I ride with them all the time especially coyotes. I usually see about 4 or 5 bobcats each year. Sadly one I just saw was dead hit by a car. Anyway, mountain lions do bother me.

I think you've nailed it.

deechee
07-20-2018, 10:22 AM
Funny how my sis just sent me this Seth Meyers clip (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwpHSKHyEWQ) (big cat story related ;)

Duende
07-20-2018, 10:33 AM
I think you've nailed it.

Exactly

djg21
07-20-2018, 10:56 AM

BK

Fisher Cats have become relatively common in my area. You never see them, but you don’t leave small pets out unattended.

They are not cats, as in felines; they are members of the weasel family.

William
07-20-2018, 12:24 PM
Fisher Cats have become relatively common in my area. You never see them, but you don’t leave small pets out unattended.

They are not cats, as in felines; they are members of the weasel family.

Like I mentioned earlier, one of these Bad Boys showed up on our property. He came up from the pond before he spotted us. Stopped about fifty feet from us and stared at us for three to four seconds before he turned around and went back toward the pond. He was a big boy for a Fisher Cat

William

Bob Ross
07-21-2018, 09:24 AM
Has anyone suggested "escaped jaguar" yet?

dddd
07-22-2018, 01:04 PM
I've never come across a weasel or badger type of animal, but here in the sierra there are black bears, coyotes, foxes (and cats that I never see).

In the bay area and in SoCal, I used to see mtn lions quite regularly, also the occasional exotic cat escapee in the hills near Page Mill while riding mountain or road bikes.

The mtn lions never bothered me, they crossed my path many times day or night and some of them were big.

I once spooked a bobcat out onto a fire road descent in front of me, I paced it from behind for a while, then it went almost literally straight up a sheared-rock hillside to the outside of a left turn in just a few jumps. No doubt that thing had the power to take down a deer, but these cats normally do not see cyclists or humans as food.

Tony
07-22-2018, 05:27 PM
Once I was attacked by a pig between Big Basin and Portola state park. I was on the hollow tree trail, a single track on the side of a mountain. This pig was on the trail blocking our path. It was taking its nose and scooping debris into the air like some type of warning. At the time I thought it was
a male with several little females, found out later by reporting this incident to the park ranger that it was a female and her litter. Anyways, I
asked my wife to move way back as I was going to scary this pig. I ran towards the pig with my hands up yelling. I maybe only took a half a dozen steps before I realized this pig was now coming towards me, FAST! There really is no way to convey to you how fast this animal closed the gap between us. I had no choice but to jump, grab a limb on a tree that was to my immediate right. As my body swung the pig followed and lost its footing and fell somewhat down the hill. While clinging onto this limb I watched the pig charge up the hill, it was throwing out a roster tail of debris! It started throwing debris into the air with its nose than slamming its mouth against the tree trunk, grinding on it. I could feel this grinding on the limb that I was hanging onto. I truly believe if I lost my grip and fell there would not be any DNA left of me! This was a large vicious animal! At the time I had NO idea pigs were so aggressive and powerful. She finally went away,
up the hill with her babies.

Devotion
07-23-2018, 12:00 AM
Yes its a Mountain Lion and yes I would pedaled as fast as I could in the opposite direction…without pulling out my cel phone first!

joosttx
07-23-2018, 12:07 AM
Once I was attacked by a pig between Big Basin and Portola state park. I was on the hollow tree trail, a single track on the side of a mountain. This pig was on the trail blocking our path. It was taking its nose and scooping debris into the air like some type of warning. At the time I thought it was
a male with several little females, found out later by reporting this incident to the park ranger that it was a female and her litter. Anyways, I
asked my wife to move way back as I was going to scary this pig. I ran towards the pig with my hands up yelling. I maybe only took a half a dozen steps before I realized this pig was now coming towards me, FAST! There really is no way to convey to you how fast this animal closed the gap between us. I had no choice but to jump, grab a limb on a tree that was to my immediate right. As my body swung the pig followed and lost its footing and fell somewhat down the hill. While clinging onto this limb I watched the pig charge up the hill, it was throwing out a roster tail of debris! It started throwing debris into the air with its nose than slamming its mouth against the tree trunk, grinding on it. I could feel this grinding on the limb that I was hanging onto. I truly believe if I lost my grip and fell there would not be any DNA left of me! This was a large vicious animal! At the time I had NO idea pigs were so aggressive and powerful. She finally went away,
up the hill with her babies.

My greatgrand dad had a pig charge him once when he was deer hunting with my uncle. They were both drinking a lot of beer and naturally my GGD needed to pee. So he gets out of the stand and fishes his weenier out and starts to pee when a pig pops out of the brush and charges at him. Imagine being 90 years old, drunk in the woods, holding you pecker with a wild pig charging you. Luckily, my uncle had been watching the pig before it charge and was able to shoot it in the head before it attacked my GGD. Funny thing, the shot to the head didnt kill the pig, it just stunned him. While the pig was getting its bearings back my uncle shot it in the heart and killed it. Pigs are bad MF'ers.

Tony
07-23-2018, 09:01 AM
My greatgrand dad had a pig charge him once when he was deer hunting with my uncle. They were both drinking a lot of beer and naturally my GGD needed to pee. So he gets out of the stand and fishes his weenier out and starts to pee when a pig pops out of the brush and charges at him. Imagine being 90 years old, drunk in the woods, holding you pecker with a wild pig charging you. Luckily, my uncle had been watching the pig before it charge and was able to shoot it in the head before it attacked my GGD. Funny thing, the shot to the head didnt kill the pig, it just stunned him. While the pig was getting its bearings back my uncle shot it in the heart and killed it. Pigs are bad MF'ers.

Yes, shocking how aggressive, FAST and powerful they can be. I was told by the ranger in Portola the only way to stop a pig like the one I described was a high caliber shot to the head.

joosttx
07-23-2018, 09:29 AM
Yes, shocking how aggressive, FAST and powerful they can be. I was told by the ranger in Portola the only way to stop a pig like the one I described was a high caliber shot to the head.

That is incorrect believe it or not. Pigs, at least the ones in Texas, have an incredibly thick skull or part of the skull that can withstand high caliber gunshots. Case i. Point the story about my GGD. But others have told me the same thing.

weightshift
07-23-2018, 11:32 AM
I saw those photos and got chills. I've only seen bobcats in the Headlands, and they're always squattier/chubbier (they look cute, let's admit it). I was guessing young mountain lion and later posts from the FS as you posted joostx, I guess confirm it.

Gives me a bit of the creeps, as I was just riding RRG yesterday!

72gmc
07-23-2018, 01:42 PM
Not sure if this has been posted yet (https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017/02/13/lions-of-los-angeles). I'm a subscriber, so I had to go look for it.

I also recall a short story in a Patagonia catalog, about one of their ambassadors obsessing about mountain lions during a solo trail run.

The recent mountain lion attack here in Washington, which took the life of a person I'd met, has me looking up precautions. I'm not so inclined to not go out there, though. Washington, Idaho, Oregon, Montana, California--most of the places my family likes to explore seem to be in their territory.

christian
07-23-2018, 03:55 PM
Definitely a juvenile mountain lion. Cool.