PDA

View Full Version : Another life lost.

OperaLover
07-18-2018, 10:53 AM
We lost another cyclist here in Seattle. Yesterday, Alex Hayden succumbed to his injuries after a hit and run over the weekend. He was in the damn bike lane! I have rode that route many many times. The bike lane is well marked. His mangled bike was dragged 1200 feet and the driver still do not stop. She has now surrendered.

KEXP played a lot of Clash this morning in his memory. GUNS OF BRIXTON is playing in my head right now.

"When they kick in your front door, how you gonna come?!?! With your hands on your head or on the trigger of your gun?!?!?!"

I hope there is justice for Alex, his wife, and his children!

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/crime/bicyclist-injured-in-weekend-hit-and-run-dies/

Clean39T
07-18-2018, 11:06 AM
We lost another cyclist here in Seattle. Yesterday, Alex Hayden succumbed to his injuries after a hit and run over the weekend. He was in the damn bike lane! I have rode that route many many times. The bike lane is well marked. His mangled bike was dragged 1200 feet and the driver still do not stop. She has now surrendered.

KEXP played a lot of Clash this morning in his memory. GUNS OF BRIXTON is playing in my head right now.

"When they kick in your front door, how you gonna come?!?! With your hands on your head or on the trigger of your gun?!?!?!"

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/crime/bicyclist-injured-in-weekend-hit-and-run-dies/RIP. Switching over to KEXP now.. Have ridden that section MANY times myself.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

rcnute
07-18-2018, 12:03 PM

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/crime/bicyclist-injured-in-weekend-hit-and-run-dies/

Tragic. Rainier Avenue is home to some of the worst drivers in the city. Wrecks aplenty.

Ryan

makoti
07-18-2018, 02:08 PM
A guy gets killed by a hit & run, and they had to turn off the comment section. That's crazy. People are sick.
"Editor’s note: Due to the number of comments on this story that violated our Terms of Service, the comment thread has been removed."

ducati2
07-18-2018, 03:06 PM
Five DUI convictions in eight years. The driver was supposed to drive a vehicle with an ignition interlock device but was driving her uncles truck without the device or his permission. Tragic.

pjm
07-18-2018, 03:40 PM
I’m really getting sick of reading stories like this. Lock her up and throw away the key.

soulspinner
07-18-2018, 05:02 PM
I’m really getting sick of reading stories like this. Lock her up and throw away the key.

Right? I was a peace officer at one point in my 20s and was all "due process man". In cases like this, max sentence please...…..

drewski
07-18-2018, 07:43 PM
RIP. Switching over to KEXP now.. Have ridden that section MANY times myself.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Sorry for your loss.

I have never lost a close friend due to an accident, but
I have a dozen or so who have been hit in Charlotte, NC. Many of these have been hit and runs.

I usually meet someone once a month who was hit or had a friend killed.

We live under car tyranny!!!!

I love Guns of Brixton and the Clash.

Clean39T
07-18-2018, 11:16 PM
Sorry for your loss.

I have never lost a close friend due to an accident, but
I have a dozen or so who have been hit in Charlotte, NC. Many of these have been hit and runs.

I usually meet someone once a month who was hit or had a friend killed.

We live under car tyranny!!!!

I love Guns of Brixton and the Clash.

I didn't know the man, but appreciate the sentiment..

Love and care to all who've lost ones to this crazy culture.

rwsaunders
07-19-2018, 12:54 AM
The victim's wife does market research work for us as a consultant and we found out about the event yesterday through one of her partners. I cannot imagine the pain that she is experiencing.

OperaLover
07-19-2018, 12:00 PM
Ducati2 was correct. 5DUI's?!?!?!? How does this person get behind a wheel??!?!?! The minimum jail time for a third or more offense is 90 days consecutively and up to a $5K fine, 3yr suspension, etc.

I am simply dumbfounded! That could have been me or one of my friends. . . .

https://www.kiro7.com/news/local/suspect-in-hit-and-run-turned-herself-into-authorities-repeat-dui-offender/791484958

bikingshearer
07-19-2018, 12:11 PM
Right? I was a peace officer at one point in my 20s and was all "due process man". In cases like this, max sentence please...…..

Those two sentences are not mutually exclusive. She gets her due process, as she should, but if she is convicted, I have no problem with giving her the maximum sentence the law allows. As a multiple-time loser, she has earned it.

BobO
07-19-2018, 02:45 PM
“When they showed it on the news and I told her - that's Chrystal because I recognized that truck,” said Toy Robinson, Barber’s neighbor.

“She's great, nice, a great person,” Robinson added. “She's a good friend, person to as a friend.”

Barber is not accused of DUI in this case but KIRO 7 has learned Barber is a repeat DUI offender with five DUI convictions from 2003-2011.

Robinson was surprised to hear that.

“Wouldn't you learn from your first offense? I would. I would learn from it,” Robinson said.

Hayden is still in critical condition in the ICU at Harborview Medical Center. Documents show he may not survive his injuries. He was a local photographer and had two children.

“I just wish her the best of luck. Don't wish nothing bad. Praying for the other side too,” Robinson added.

Emphasis mine.

Are you freaking kidding me? A great person!!!?? Wish her luck? Other side!!!???

What the hell is wrong with some people. There's only one side here, and that is that she mortally wounded an innocent person. She has used up all of her compassion chips. Rot in hell, asshole. The world is a better place without her. :mad:

How about compassion for the family and friends of her VICTIM?

I, for my part, sincerely hope that his family is able to recover and move on in peace.

GregL
07-19-2018, 03:10 PM
IMO five DUIs shows depraved indifference to human life. At this point, the person is a danger to society and should be incarcerated for the remainder of their life to prevent further innocent deaths. Note that the news story specifically states that the accused "is not accused of DUI in this case" but "was supposed to have an ignition interlock device in her car but the truck did not have one." IMO she used up her "three strikes" about two DUIs ago.

Greg

oldpotatoe
07-19-2018, 06:54 PM
IMO five DUIs shows depraved indifference to human life. At this point, the person is a danger to society and should be incarcerated for the remainder of their life to prevent further innocent deaths. Note that the news story specifically states that the accused "is not accused of DUI in this case" but "was supposed to have an ignition interlock device in her car but the truck did not have one." IMO she used up her "three strikes" about two DUIs ago.

Greg

The case is shocking and very sad. As much as I’d like to see the driver behind bars for the rest of her life, isn’t going to happen. Hopefully she gets the maximum for the charges they finally settle on but no doubt some plea deal will result in some jail time but rest assured, she’ll get out and will drive again...hopefully sober(but I doubt it)...

Peter P.
07-19-2018, 08:00 PM
It's obvious the driver fled the scene to avoid a DUI arrest. That's also why she waited 22 hours before turning herself in. Veteran drinkers know the tricks.

And it's no surprise she borrowed another vehicle to get around the interlock device. She's a pro.

velotrack
07-19-2018, 08:04 PM
just one DUI sucks... you got behind the wheel drunk and put lives in danger. call a cab, stay a night, sleep in your car, something. but sure, you made a mistake once...

but five? FIVE? i can't wrap my head around how there was no lesson learned after five, and can't wrap my head around how she has any driving privileges whatsoever. i agree with the above... she fled the scene to avoid yet another DUI, and now there's a death. absolutely mind boggling.

parris
07-19-2018, 08:17 PM
This sucks.

I read the linked article but haven't followed it other than that. Are there other stories on it with comments? I'm not trying to be negative with this but if and when this lady is convicted she'll do it again when she gets out. I also don't believe for a second that her uncle didn't know that she took his truck.

Having dealt with people that do life on the installment plan they and often times their families rarely see beyond their own wants, needs, and what's important to them.

Just to repeat. THIS SUCKS.

Iansir
07-19-2018, 09:31 PM
This is really upsetting. This is a commonly used bike lane that I ride all the time. I have never loved it given the speed of cars on this road. I am going to reconsider all of my routes that take this one. My thoughts are with the family.

ducati2
07-19-2018, 10:21 PM
I use that piece of road a lot too. I hate to sound pessimistic but I wonder how much changing your route will increase your odds....drunk, angry, distracted, etc drivers are passing by us at an alarming rate on almost any ride where we share the road with cars. To some extent we are at the cagers mercy. That’s why drivers try to get away with the things they do...they have the power. I have been riding with lights during the day for quite a awhile and now I laugh when I turn them on because I wonder if they will make any real difference at all. So many close calls lately have definitely left a bad taste in my mouth. Sad for this local family.

mtechnica
07-19-2018, 10:21 PM
That's horrible. This person never should have been allowed to drive again after the second let alone third DUI, not to mention the elephant in the room I'm sure they were a **** driver even when sober. My condolences to go the rider's family and friends... it could be you or I one day... America is a great country in many ways but our laws and legal system really could use some work. There are too many people behind the wheel that have no business being there.

AngryScientist
07-19-2018, 10:31 PM
Senseless and ridiculous.

5 dui?

That means caught 5 times. Obviously habitually driving drunk countless times not caught. How any judge with any values didn't order revoked license after the first few is beyond me.

When someone dies the family/friends suffer the most; I hope they can find some peace.

So sad.

BobO
07-19-2018, 10:41 PM
Senseless and ridiculous.

5 dui?

That means caught 5 times. Obviously habitually driving drunk countless times not caught. How any judge with any values didn't order revoked license after the first few is beyond me.

When someone dies the family/friends suffer the most; I hope they can find some peace.

So sad.

The judge often has very little to do with deciding these cases. More often than not there is an arrangement between the prosecutor and defense. In exchange for a guilty plea for a lesser charge not involving significant penalty the prosecutor gets a high conviction rate. It's faster, cheaper, leaves more prison space for potheads and a prosecutor with a 99% conviction rate can get political.

Vamoots58
07-20-2018, 08:24 AM

+ One!!!!

AngryScientist
07-20-2018, 08:52 AM
The judge often has very little to do with deciding these cases. More often than not there is an arrangement between the prosecutor and defense. In exchange for a guilty plea for a lesser charge not involving significant penalty the prosecutor gets a high conviction rate. It's faster, cheaper, leaves more prison space for potheads and a prosecutor with a 99% conviction rate can get political.

I get what you’re saying Bob; and I guess that’s the grim reality; but I’d like to think that if I were a judge and some train wreck showed up in my court room with a 5th DUI; I’d use my power to make sure there was no plea; no lesser charges; no more deals....and no more privilege to drive.

Maybe that’s idealistic, but how can the justice system reasonably think after being caught operating impaired half a dozen times someone will ever change?

oldpotatoe
07-20-2018, 09:35 AM
I get what you’re saying Bob; and I guess that’s the grim reality; but I’d like to think that if I were a judge and some train wreck showed up in my court room with a 5th DUI; I’d use my power to make sure there was no plea; no lesser charges; no more deals....and no more privilege to drive.

Maybe that’s idealistic, but how can the justice system reasonably think after being caught operating impaired half a dozen times someone will ever change?

That’s the rub...way to easy to just borrow a car, like she did when she killed the guy. No real way to keep her outta a car without keeping her jail. I’d be all for that but isn’t going to happen. Person that loans the car ought to be prosecuted.

AJM100
07-20-2018, 10:26 AM
It's obvious the driver fled the scene to avoid a DUI arrest. That's also why she waited 22 hours before turning herself in. Veteran drinkers know the tricks.

And it's no surprise she borrowed another vehicle to get around the interlock device. She's a pro.

+1, exactly. Unless she admits to drinking before driving this time around or investigators can reconstruct her activities before she drove they will never prove DUI.

However, it may be that she blew into the interlock device on her vehicle and it failed. If so, may be a record of her BAC level. Hope investigators check that avenue.

oldpotatoe
07-20-2018, 10:30 AM
+1, exactly. Unless she admits to drinking before driving this time around or investigators can reconstruct her activities before she drove they will never prove DUI.

However, it may be that she blew into the interlock device on her vehicle and it failed. If so, may be a record of her BAC level. Hope investigators check that avenue.

If it fails, that info is transmitted to people who installed it.

cachagua
07-20-2018, 12:53 PM
No real way to keep her outta a car without keeping her jail...

Sure, two easy ways right here: first is a quick scribble of laser light across each retina. Out-patient procedure, you go home the same day. Of course a blind person is dependent on the state to a certain extent, so this option isn't without its costs, but I'll bet if you factor in the reduced costs of cleaning up after sociopathic drivers -- if we applied this remedy consistently -- we'd still come out ahead.

I’d be all for that but isn’t going to happen...

No, sadly that'll take a wee bit more political will than we seem to be able to muster. However the other idea might be within reach, and that's house arrest using a GPS anklet. You cross your property line, your little light starts blinking on the map down at the precinct, and you get picked up and taken home. This actually has very wide applicability; the vast majority of today's prison population could be handled this way, which would result in enormous costs savings. The trouble here, of course, is that the money it's costing to maintain today's prisons is going into an industry that can afford a lot of lobbying... so again, political will is the limiting factor.

But, you know, choices/consequences, like everything else in life. If, collectively, we opt not to solve this problem, then we get to continue living with the problem.

BobO
07-20-2018, 01:14 PM

There are five things going on here. First is that we have a legal system that is designed primarily to make it difficult to convict someone. This was done to put the onus on the state to prove guilt rather than have the defendant prove innocence. There's nothing wrong with that and it's vital to a free society. The second thing is that we've cluttered our law books, courts and prisons with victimless drug users. This means that there is an urgency for the state to move cases along quickly. It also means that there is precious little space to put DUI offenders who wind up back on the street. The third item is that the state receives rather large fines for DUI convictions. I'll just leave that there. Fourth as I noted earlier, there is a form of corruption in that prosecutors like to have high conviction rates and a often willing to not prosecute at all, or, plea to lesser charges in order get the conviction. The final item is that truthfully, until a DUI driver causes harm to another person, there is no victim. This places a burden on the system by leaving doors open for appeals.

In some ways the system is broken. But, the bones are good so with effort we can fix it. The first step in my mind is to take cases like this and throw the letter of the law at her. Maximum sentence. She is a killer, at least negligent homicide. She should die in prison. Same should be true for distracted drivers who kill.

oldpotatoe
07-20-2018, 01:35 PM
[QUOTE=cachagua;2397744]Sure, two easy ways right here: first is a quick scribble of laser light across each retina. Out-patient procedure, you go home the same day. Of course a blind person is dependent on the state to a certain extent, so this option isn't without its costs, but I'll bet if you factor in the reduced costs of cleaning up after sociopathic drivers -- if we applied this remedy consistently -- we'd still come out ahead.[/QUOTE

Blinding persons, righto, that’ll happen. Why not just execute them? Very Roman Empire of you. :eek: