PDA

View Full Version : DC Area Riders--a bribe?

djg
10-27-2006, 11:28 AM
Ok, so my "Vettrot" post garnered way little response, perhaps because of the date, perhaps because of the title, perhaps because it's me. So far, I have one "maybe" from znfndl, with whom I'd be glad to ride, and that's that.

Suspecting that at least several of us are living off the tax and spend power, and may have Friday, November 10 as a day off work, I'm pitching a ride. I thought maybe fixie friendly, maybe starting at the mall, but I'm flexible. I'm even willing to offer a bit of a bribe. For the first five riders willing to commit, and willing to either rendezvous or conclude the ride in Arlington, yer uncle Dan will spring for a cup of Murky coffee from the fabled Murky Coffee shop. For biscotti or late-bel-grande or whatever you're on your own, but I'll spring for a coffee (and they do the first refill free).

Anybody?

flydhest
10-27-2006, 11:44 AM
I was interested, but we were planning on skipping town. Oddly enough, I realized I have to work--something about financial markets not being closed (grumble, grumble). We're likely skipping town after I ensure the soundness of the financial system.

znfdl
10-27-2006, 11:51 AM
I'm in.

djg
10-27-2006, 11:52 AM
We're likely skipping town after I ensure the soundness of the financial system.

A cynic might think that means you're stuck here until Thanksgiving.

djg
10-27-2006, 11:53 AM
I'm in.

Excellent. So it begins.

zap
10-27-2006, 12:41 PM
No fixie at casa zap, hence no response.

Now if this were to become a geared ride, zap could participate. Zip will have credit union members deposits secured for the weekend the day before, so a tandem is possible.

znfdl
10-27-2006, 12:55 PM
Zap:

We can always restrict you gearing :D

If you like, I have an extra fixed wheel.

zap
10-27-2006, 01:04 PM
snipped

Zap:

We can always restrict you gearing :D

Cruel and unusual punishment.

Torture.

Kevan
10-27-2006, 01:21 PM
What with all those despondent politicians and their staff driving around? You gotta be nutz! Stick to the path, not that that will be any safer.

Get out and back before the results start dribbling in.

I do love riding in that town.

djg
10-27-2006, 02:43 PM
No fixie at casa zap, hence no response.

Now if this were to become a geared ride, zap could participate. Zip will have credit union members deposits secured for the weekend the day before, so a tandem is possible.

Zap, my understanding of the local rule is that you get to ride any bike the S.O. lets you. As long as it's not a moped.

Moosedryvr
10-27-2006, 03:01 PM
Haven't been on the Hampsten for a month due to various bad excuses, but I'd love to attend. Been wanting to meet some of DC located Forumites for some time but my schedule keeps getting in the way. Let me know when and where and I'll be there, unless I'm flying of course (unfortunately the Air Force keeps forgetting about these federal holidays when they plan the flying schedule).

SPG

Sandy
10-27-2006, 03:17 PM
So here is how it is:

1. You flew up (via bike) the Mormon Hill (Kensington) as if the hill was not there.

2. znfndl is planning on riding 1400 miles a day for 1332 consecutive days sometime next year.

3. Zap is one of those racer dude guys.

4. Fydhest, although an economist, led the Princeton Racing Team to 12 consecutive world championships (took him a very long time to get his degree).

5. Moosedryver's name scares me. Does he (or she) drive moose for a living??

6. I am old, senile, somewhat mentally unbalanced, not very fit, slow, have problems with fatigue, and have been doing little cycling in the last few months.

7. I would probably slow the group down by about 25-45 mph.

So, although it would be nice, I think that I should stay home and play with my little rubber ducky- Doofus, named after a favorite Serotta formum member, who changed his name, for some reason.

Sandy

PS- I don't drink coffee. Never have. Never will.

djg
10-27-2006, 03:31 PM
Fer Kevin's sake, Sandy:

So here is how it is:

1. You flew up (via bike) the Mormon Hill (Kensington) as if the hill was not there.

[I'm not just obtuse, but frequently oblivious. If you mention that I'm riding uphill, I slow down a lot.]

2. znfndl is planning on riding 1400 miles a day for 1332 consecutive days sometime next year.

[And I will be with him in spirit. Only.]

3. Zap is one of those racer dude guys.

[ok]

4. Fydhest, although an economist, led the Princeton Racing Team to 12 consecutive world championships (took him a very long time to get his degree).

[Had to be an economist: the philosophers get stuck writing meta-rules and the mathematicians are riding on another planet. And not to be pissy, but they didn't even win the Ivy or Eastern Championships the years I raced, which were, admitedly, some time before Doktor F attended the Institute's kindergarten, much less, at the age of 11, the University itself.]

5. Moosedryver's name scares me. Does he (or she) drive moose for a living??

[I dunno, but I want to find out.]

6. I am old, senile,somewhat unbalanced, not very fit, slow, have problems with fatigue, and have been doing little cycing in the last few months.

[So maybe you should join us and do a little more cycling, nu? Frankly, senility can be hard to distinguish from just plain nuts, which means you'd fit right in.]

7. I would probably slow the group down by about 25-45 mph.

[That's ok, sometimes it's good for us to go 15 mph.]

So, although it would be nice, I think that I should stay home and play with my little rubber ducky- Doofus, name after a favorite Serotta formuite, who changed his name, for some reason.

Sandy

PS- I don't drink coffee. Never have. Never will.

A cup of tea? Hot chocolate? Coffee isn't mandatory.

Kevan
10-27-2006, 03:56 PM
you don't see me complaining about BBD visiting me and dragging his sorry zebra butt over every hill and dale here, do ya? I hope you have a hot cocoa with those guys and pedal your bike with them.

It ain't the speed, man! It's the spirit!

And for my sake, stay down there and have fun with those dudes. I can't handle your rowdiness up here, I've got (him) to take care of.

Now excuse me while I go make up his royal highness' bed and clean the turlet.

Rapid Tourist
10-27-2006, 06:31 PM
Wish I could join you for a ride, but duty calls me that day. have fun and keep the rubber side down :)

znfdl
10-28-2006, 05:27 AM

I promise to behave. :)

Too Tall
10-28-2006, 05:38 AM
He won't behave :rolleyes: OMG

I'm 60/40. Why the urban blight route? Admit Murky is the finest cuppa I've had in this fair city infact ALMOST as good as Sir Fly's vessel of death with foam on top :)

Can I twist your arm into something a bit more scenic? I'll ride fixed...what's the gear coach?

djg
10-28-2006, 09:17 AM
He won't behave :rolleyes: OMG

I'm 60/40. Why the urban blight route? Admit Murky is the finest cuppa I've had in this fair city infact ALMOST as good as Sir Fly's vessel of death with foam on top :)

Can I twist your arm into something a bit more scenic? I'll ride fixed...what's the gear coach?

Riding my wheel isn't scenic?

I don't really think of the mall and the point and the river as uban blight, but I don't mind pondering a route alternative. I'll be turning a 47/17, which I have calculated as the exact appropriate gear by counting the teeth on the chainring and cog that happen to be on the bike.

Murky rules (no offense to Fly, who may rule across the river, and whose coffee I've never even tried).

znfdl
10-28-2006, 11:47 AM
Riding my wheel isn't scenic?

I don't really think of the mall and the point and the river as uban blight, but I don't mind pondering a route alternative. I'll be turning a 47/17, which I have calculated as the exact appropriate gear by counting the teeth on the chainring and cog that happen to be on the bike.

Murky rules (no offense to Fly, who may rule across the river, and whose coffee I've never even tried).

Sandy:

I will be doing a 200k brevet on the 11th, so I wii behave myself. Also, I will be spinning a 42x17. How fast can I go?

shoe
10-28-2006, 11:53 AM
i was tryin to set a fixie ride up with the tall one...but at my job there seems to be 3 people away for awhile don't know if i can make it work....but grant and i wanted to hook up down there for a cruise at some point...we shall see...dave...off to do some riding in deerfield tomorrow though....o h wait and i should be on the road right now,,,,later