07-15-2018, 10:26 PM
Park,
Pedros,
SRAM, or...

What do you recommend?

speedevil
07-15-2018, 10:30 PM
Knipex 95 61 190

For my money, the best without question. Knipex tools are very high quality. I have several different Knipex tools and I'm certain my grandchildren will be using them too.

ahumblecycler
07-16-2018, 04:18 AM
After buying a budget cutter, I sprung for the Park Tools cutter and have been happy since.

I will echo the previous poster - Knipex makes solid tools.

R3awak3n
07-16-2018, 04:42 AM
I had a park and now a knipex. Knipex is better but maybe not worth the money for some. Knipex does make amazing tools. The park sometimes did not give me a good cut butt I feel the knipex is more precise and I get perfect cuts more often (sometimes it messes up too)

jumphigher
07-16-2018, 04:47 AM
I have a Pedro's cutter that works really well, very precise & clean cuts.

Llewellyn
07-16-2018, 05:41 AM

I've always had good results from my Pedro's cutter too

johnniecakes
07-16-2018, 06:06 AM
Not exactly a cutter but I get the best results with a Dremel and a small abrasive cut off wheel. Clean and no rough edges.

oldpotatoe
07-16-2018, 06:49 AM
Park,
Pedros,
SRAM, or...

What do you recommend?

This one..shop durable, I have had mine for 13-14 years..shop use, still way sharp. Felco

Ralph
07-16-2018, 07:19 AM
This one..shop durable, I have had mine for 13-14 years..shop use, still way sharp. Felco

What I use also.

Blown Reek
07-16-2018, 07:27 AM
The Shimano tool is perfect. Pricey, but perfect.

mt2u77
07-16-2018, 09:58 AM
I've only used the Park. For brake housing, it occasionally curls an end in. Maybe I'm doing it wrong. (tips anyone?) I usually end up cleaning up the cut end with a dremel.

It works plenty fine for everything else.

jamesdak
07-16-2018, 11:55 AM

What I use also.

Hey, I chose something right for one. That's the one I have also! :banana:

OtayBW
07-16-2018, 03:56 PM
What I use also.
Me 3. I've had mine forever (though I'm sure I don't have the mileage on mine like you guys...).

Ken Robb
07-16-2018, 05:19 PM
Mine works so well I can't even remember what brand it is. :banana:

cachagua
07-16-2018, 07:04 PM
Knipex tools are very high quality. I have several different Knipex tools and I'm certain my grandchildren will be using them too.

I'll bet you're gonna be right about that. I too have several different Knipex tools, and they were my grandfather's.

That said, I use an hoary old pair of Japanese HIT cable cutters I bought in the '80s, and I'll probably pass them along to future generations too.

And, the Felco pictured above is also a super-nice tool!

donevwil
07-16-2018, 07:13 PM
I've only used the Park. For brake housing, it occasionally curls an end in. Maybe I'm doing it wrong. (tips anyone?) I usually end up cleaning up the cut end with a dremel.

It works plenty fine for everything else.

Same experience here. I grind housing ends after cutting and just live with the Park's meh performance. I think I'll put one of these recommended cutters on my Christmas list.

timsmcm
07-16-2018, 08:50 PM
Dremel cutoff wheel clean straight cuts.

Gummee
07-16-2018, 08:50 PM

They look suspiciously like the Knipex, just colored differently

I like my Pedro's cutters too.

I have a pair of old Shimano cutters that are the 2nd best

M

bikinchris
07-16-2018, 09:09 PM

Yup, Felco. Nothing else.
In fact, I inherited mine from the last shop I worked for. Unknown age. Perfectly sharp.

cmbicycles
07-16-2018, 09:22 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180717/28db72b8dfe726e3140dd23a3905a83f.gif

Knipex above has worked great for me the last couple years. They also make one that resmbles the Felco, but I've never used that one. Based on the quality of the one I have I don't doubt it would also be a great tool. I still have a pair of the Felco and used them for 15+/- years in bike shops and like others have said they are still sharp, currently it sits in my tool box most of the time. The Knipex hangs on my repair stand tool tray as it has a built in crimper that works great for both housing ferrules and cable ends.

Imo, the Felco opens on its own easier, both Knipex/Felco cut equally well and feel like a solid tool in the hand, Knipex has the crimper. I've only used the knipex briefly in comparison to the felco, but it seems made to last.

I've also used the Park and Pedros and both worked fine, Pedros felt like the Felco for a little less money, and the Park didn't seem to last terribly long in a shop environment though likely would last a long time for home user.

yinzerniner
07-16-2018, 09:29 PM
Got the Jagwire Pro cable cutter tool for really cheap, and for everyweek use ie non-professional it gets the job done.

Lots of good little details, like the crimper, holder, and integrated pick/awl to round open cable housing ends. Never had an inconsistent cut with any type of cord.

If using everyday or to keep for a lifetime might upgrade to the knipex or felco, but for DIYers I don't see it every being a letdown.

parris
07-16-2018, 09:57 PM
I've used a bunch of different cutters over years. No matter which brand I still dress the end of the cable with a file or grinding wheel. I then take an awl and open up the inner liner.

It takes just a couple of minutes and leaves square ends that fit in housing ends nicely. It's not better or worse than any other method it's just what I learned many moons ago as a young shop rat...

yinro
07-17-2018, 12:16 AM
I have had a good experience with this one:
https://www.jensonusa.com/Foundation-768-Bike-Cable-Cutter-Tool

Bought it for $10 on sale a while back. It's identical to the Pedro cutter save for the color, and likely made by the same factory in Taiwan. I have a Dremel available to finish things off, but haven't had the need for that yet.

Gummee
07-17-2018, 07:58 AM
I've used a bunch of different cutters over years. No matter which brand I still dress the end of the cable with a file or grinding wheel. I then take an awl and open up the inner liner.

It takes just a couple of minutes and leaves square ends that fit in housing ends nicely. It's not better or worse than any other method it's just what I learned many moons ago as a young shop rat...

I'll typically grind mine flat, but in a shop situation, nope. I'll get the brake housing as close as possible and call it good.

M

.RJ
07-17-2018, 08:00 AM
Got the Jagwire Pro cable cutter tool for really cheap, and for everyweek use ie non-professional it gets the job done.

Lots of good little details, like the crimper, holder, and integrated pick/awl to round open cable housing ends. Never had an inconsistent cut with any type of cord.

If using everyday or to keep for a lifetime might upgrade to the knipex or felco, but for DIYers I don't see it every being a letdown.

Same for me. I'm happy with the Jagwire cutter.

ntkt10
07-17-2018, 11:26 AM
I've had no problems with my Park and it cuts the cables easily. I'd ensure I smooth the end of the cable regardless of which cutter I was using.