PDA

View Full Version : Bont sizing

oldguy00
07-15-2018, 07:43 AM
Can anyone comment on how the current (past couple years) compares to Shimano? I know they have their online sizing tool, but I take a 45 in Shimano and bonts calculator recommends 46.5....
Looking at the vaypor models..
Thx!

Bentley
07-15-2018, 08:17 AM
So I wear a wide Shimano S-Phyre 44 and it's comparable to a 44 Bont.

Ray

John H.
07-15-2018, 09:52 AM
I wear size 45 in both Shimano and Bont.

oldguy00
07-15-2018, 11:22 AM
Thanks guys, I am also looking at 45.
Can you comment on the width? I seem to be right on the edge of narrow vs wide. Do they fit wide in general? I can usually just barely get by with a standard width shimano, its my midfoot that is a bit wide. Do the standard width bonts fit a little wider than shmano? Any issue getting an aftermarket insole into them, like a specialized insole?

Thanks!

Veloo
07-15-2018, 11:29 AM
I've worn
Shimano 44 wide
Lake 43.5 wide
Sidi 43.5 Mega

I have a Morton's toe so I had to go with a 44.5 Bont. I got the standard which is wider and since I went up a size, it was that much wider.
The shoe didn't work for me however. Was never able to heat mold it to a good fit. Not as simple as it sounds.

nmrt
07-15-2018, 12:01 PM
Specialized S-works 44.5
Sidi Mega 44
Bont 44.5 (But the newer Bont Blitz runs small. I wear a 45 in the Blitz. But I wear a 44.5 in the Vaypor+ and the Riot+. However, the Riot+ is not as wide as the Vaypor+)

Climb01742
07-15-2018, 01:02 PM
I find Bonts to have good width. I wear a 44.5 wide in Shimano and a 45 in Bont. The Bont actually has a bit more width. The one aspect of Bonts I wish were different is the suppleness of the uppers. I love Bonts’ sole and how it holds/supports my foot but the uppers are so stiff, they are very uncomfortable. Something to consider I think. That’s why I ride Shimanos. Hoping to try Lakes soon.

nmrt
07-15-2018, 01:03 PM
Try the Riot+. IMO, it has a very supple upper.

I find Bonts to have good width. I wear a 44.5 wide in Shimano and a 45 in Bont. The Bont actually has a bit more width. The one aspect of Bonts I wish were different is the suppleness of the uppers. I love Bonts’ sole and how it holds/supports my foot but the uppers are so stiff, they are very uncomfortable. Something to consider I think. That’s why I ride Shimanos. Hoping to try Lakes soon.

Climb01742
07-15-2018, 02:01 PM
Try the Riot+. IMO, it has a very supple upper.

Thanks!! Just read a few reviews. Those could be just the ticket. Great price too. Just curious, what color did you get? Are the louder colors ok in person? Photos can be deceiving.;)

John H.
07-15-2018, 03:02 PM
Bont shoes are fairly wide in general- I have a pretty wide forefoot and the standard width Bont 45 works for me.

kgreene10
07-15-2018, 03:54 PM
Bont used to have a measurement method and mm to nominal size chart online. FWIW, I found them to be a very high volume shoe and my skinny but long foot got lost in there.

glepore
07-15-2018, 03:55 PM
As to the insole question, Bont insoles suck. I use icebug in one pair and sofsole with an added metatarsal pad in the other. They fit fine.

oldguy00
07-15-2018, 06:02 PM

Thx.
I've red that the vaypor '+' series has a softer upper than the 'S' series.....who knows. I'll probably go ahead and try the size 45 bont normal width vaypor +'s

oldguy00
07-15-2018, 06:03 PM
As to the insole question, Bont insoles suck. I use icebug in one pair and sofsole with an added metatarsal pad in the other. They fit fine.

Which sofsole did you use?

glepore
07-15-2018, 06:16 PM
Which sofsole did you use?

The "performance shoe" version, high arch because I have stupid high arches...high enough that with my non BOA bont's I went to the longer ratchet strap.

I should add that "fit fine" means height, you need to trim the toe area to fit=lay the bont stock insole over it.

And another benefit of bonts is that the t nuts are accessible if you like a really rearward cleat position.

glepore
07-15-2018, 06:21 PM
This one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0154O0MEK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

oldguy00
07-15-2018, 06:22 PM
Thanks!

Has anyone by chance tried the newer Helix model? Comments?

l0n3rider
07-15-2018, 10:59 PM
.. sharing my experience

i have used few bont shoes in the past ..
vaypor
vapor s
zero

i have a wide feet .. and all of my bont were wide version. in term of size, you need to check if your feet will increase in size after hours of riding. in my case, my feet becomes wider a bit after 2 hrs of riding, especially in hot weather. hence i need to make sure my bont is way loose when i pick a new one. because bont shoe will stay in in shape no matter what. the carbon outsole wraps your foot like a boat ..

now i wears lake .. i like it better

FlashUNC
07-16-2018, 12:04 AM
Thanks!

Has anyone by chance tried the newer Helix model? Comments?

Just tried the Helix on this weekend. I think frankly I prefer the Vaypor S. Fit is similar, but with only one boa, you don't get the same adjustability if there's dual Boas. If the forefoot is still loose and the main strap is tight, you don't have many options to get that foot fit quite right.

Its interesting, but I'm not sold on them quite yet.

Gat64
11-22-2018, 07:34 AM
Thx.
I've red that the vaypor '+' series has a softer upper than the 'S' series.....who knows. I'll probably go ahead and try the size 45 bont normal width vaypor +'s

Just wondering what your impressions are of the Bonts? I have a wide front and narrow heel, so I am hoping that Bont's moldable heel structure can grip while offering lots of width at the front.

No dealer near where I live, so sizing will be tricky. By the looks of the comments here, I may go with a 45 (I take 45 in Sidi, Shimano and Northwave), even though their on-line tool suggests 44.5 for me.

oldguy00
11-22-2018, 07:50 AM
Just wondering what your impressions are of the Bonts? I have a wide front and narrow heel, so I am hoping that Bont's moldable heel structure can grip while offering lots of width at the front.

No dealer near where I live, so sizing will be tricky. By the looks of the comments here, I may go with a 45 (I take 45 in Sidi, Shimano and Northwave), even though their on-line tool suggests 44.5 for me.

The online tool is wonky. Works for some, not for others. I take a 45 in Shimano, 45.5 in Sidi. Bont's calculator I think recommended a 46.5....

I ended up ordering a 46 in the Bont Zero+ tri shoe. Was a little too big, I think a 45.5 would have worked.

Now that said, I've had a few pair of Bont's over the past decade, and I will say, I think the whole 'molding' thing is BS marketing. I've never been able to shape these things to my foot, including the heel, including the sides. They just don't move much at all. And of course, the sole isn't going to move at all, it is rigid. I also find them incredibly uncomfy out of the box as it is just a rock hard carbon tub, so you do need a proper orthotic/insole for them. Problem is that some insoles will take up too much volume in the Bont shoes, then your toes are jammed against the upper.

Good luck!

bianchi10
11-22-2018, 07:59 AM
I'll say that the Bont shoe is wider than most right off the bat due to the toe box design. Through the shoe I find it to be standard. I found the wizard to be off a bit and wanted me to go smaller than I should have. It originally placed me in a 43.5 wide but I went with a 44 wide. I wore that size for 2 years, but now went up to a 44.5 wide and its good. I like to have a little bit of room in mine as my feet are a bit wider and they swell a bit, so having the extra room to layer or wear thicker socks if needed is nice.

Now that said, I've had a few pair of Bont's over the past decade, and I will say, I think the whole 'molding' thing is BS marketing. I've never been able to shape these things to my foot, including the heel, including the sides. They just don't move much at all. And of course, the sole isn't going to move at all, it is rigid. I also find them incredibly uncomfy out of the box as it is just a rock hard carbon tub, so you do need a proper orthotic/insole for them. Problem is that some insoles will take up too much volume in the Bont shoes, then your toes are jammed against the upper.
!

Its odd that it isn't working for you. Obviously everyone has different experiences with items, but with my experience, it is a COMPLETELY different shoe once I mold it. I dont find them to be comfortable at all straight out of the box. Once I heat mold mine, they are like slippers. I think you asked me before what my process was to confirm your steps as well, did you ever go through my steps and see if it aligned with your process?

Gat64
11-22-2018, 08:10 AM
The online tool is wonky. Works for some, not for others. I take a 45 in Shimano, 45.5 in Sidi. Bont's calculator I think recommended a 46.5....

I ended up ordering a 46 in the Bont Zero+ tri shoe. Was a little too big, I think a 45.5 would have worked.

Good luck!

Thanks for the feedback - interesting and a bit scary with such expensive shoes. My issue with most modern shoes are the stiff uppers and poor heel retention. My favourite shoe ever was the Sidi Ergo 1 - and I am convinced it is because of the soft Lorica uppers that seem to allow some expansion while riding. I have the Ergo 3 as well, but after 4 hours or so, they start to hurt. I assume my foot starts expanding then and that's when the pain begins. I do like the heel retention system on Sidis. Would love some NOS Sidi 1 with the retention system!

I tried the Shimano XC7 wide, but when you get wide from them, the heel goes wide too - not good for me.

Was looking a the Vaypor G from Bont as the upper looks a bit softer that modern Sidis - but I could be wrong. So tough with shoes.

pdonk
11-22-2018, 08:15 AM
I had good luck reshaping the heel to be a bit tighter.

I was really scared of overheating the shoe, but once I did get it to the correct temp and consistency it was easy.

My annoyances with my riots is I can feel the mounting hardware in my forefoot sometimes and the construction quality is just OK.

Final wish is that they made a 45.5 as that is likely my size in their shoe, but I wear a 46 - hence the heel reshape.

bianchi10
11-22-2018, 09:46 PM
I had good luck reshaping the heel to be a bit tighter.

I was really scared of overheating the shoe, but once I did get it to the correct temp and consistency it was easy.

My annoyances with my riots is I can feel the mounting hardware in my forefoot sometimes and the construction quality is just OK.

Final wish is that they made a 45.5 as that is likely my size in their shoe, but I wear a 46 - hence the heel reshape.

They have fixed this by putting a plate between the screw holes in the shoe and the insole. No longer an issue