PDA

View Full Version : the most mundane cycling related thing ever

rustychisel
07-14-2018, 10:05 PM
Thanks Llewellyn for the Kool Stop Salmons.

I realised last night whilst changing brake pads on my fixed wheel bike that in 50 years of cycling I have never ever before ridden a bike with brake pads which are not black.

So there's that. Hope your day is less trivial than mine.

oliver1850
07-14-2018, 10:12 PM
I'm OK with whatever color your brake pads are.

Just point me in the direction of some new, interesting bands.

rustychisel
07-14-2018, 10:25 PM
hmm, leave it with me, I'm a bit out of the loop.

Now then.... THIS came out a while ago, debut single from the Lonely Boys, an indigenous band from the deep north, rough as bags, but they've got a good kickass sound. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbvuayk27ps

verbs4us
07-15-2018, 03:46 PM
Years ago I scored a set of Scott/Mathauser (reddish) brake pads mounted in the cool, steampunk finned housing. They were more intelligently designed than OEM Campys--longer, with an arc that matched that of the rim. And maybe those fins did more than just encourage people to say "wow--those look cool." I first tested them on the double-gap traverse in Vermont (Brandon-Middlebury) and there was no fade. They lasted about a million miles and dusted the bike with a fine mist of pink spent brake pad.

Llewellyn
07-16-2018, 05:40 AM
Thanks Llewellyn for the Kool Stop Salmons.

I realised last night whilst changing brake pads on my fixed wheel bike that in 50 years of cycling I have never ever before ridden a bike with brake pads which are not black.

So there's that. Hope your day is less trivial than mine.

Pink is the new black :banana: :banana:

old fat man
07-16-2018, 08:20 AM
Brakes on your fixed wheel bike? Where's the commitment in that?

DuddyJ
07-16-2018, 08:26 AM

Not only having em but using them so much that they need to be swapped out too!

unterhausen
07-16-2018, 09:05 AM
Years ago I scored a set of Scott/Mathauser (reddish) brake pads mounted in the cool, steampunk finned housing. They were more intelligently designed than OEM Campys--longer, with an arc that matched that of the rim. And maybe those fins did more than just encourage people to say "wow--those look cool."
I really liked those pads until I realized that the pad could delaminate. Fortunately I never had one fall off, but other people did. Had some on my tandem, fortunately my stoker and I were lightweights at the time.

rustychisel
07-16-2018, 07:02 PM

:banana:

Gipiemme Crono. One brake to rule them all.

Side pull, modified to fit modern shoes & pads.