PDA

View Full Version : Late to the party - Campy 10 speed chain pins

veggieburger
07-14-2018, 05:56 AM
I am a wrenching disaster. I change my own tires and tubes, that's about it.

So....I am having a buddy swap all the parts from bike A to frame B and he just told by me that the pin on the Campy 10 speed chain can only be used once. Huh? So I need a new pin or a KMC link, plus we need a fancy tool for Campy specific pins? Is there a safe workaround to this, or is this how it has to be?

weiwentg
07-14-2018, 06:06 AM

So....I am having a buddy swap all the parts from bike A to frame B and he just told by me that the pin on the Campy 10 speed chain can only be used once. Huh? So I need a new pin or a KMC link, plus we need a fancy tool for Campy specific pins? Is there a safe workaround to this, or is this how it has to be?

It's true, but just get a KMC quick link.

IIRC, the one-use pin thing is true of Shimano chains also.

Black Dog
07-14-2018, 06:19 AM

Get a KMC quick link or a SRAM 10 speed link. You do not need a special chain tool for any 10 speed campy chain.

oldpotatoe
07-14-2018, 06:26 AM

Not only that, the new pin needs to be put into a 'virgin' plate, one that has not had a pin in it..on a installed chain, not possible, so yes, get a quick link or chain breakage is a high possibility. The peening gig is for 11s chains only..BTW-shimano pins are one use only too..

Ralph
07-14-2018, 06:26 AM
Just get a new KMC chain with Quik Link. About $20 on E bay. If you are going to the work of changing stuff out.....install new chain.

sloanfiske
07-14-2018, 06:34 AM
On the 10sp Campy chain, no fancy tool needed to break the chain.

And concur, use a quick link.

veggieburger
07-14-2018, 06:38 AM
You do not need a special chain tool for any 10 speed campy chain.

Not for removal or reinstall??

oldpotatoe
07-14-2018, 07:05 AM
Not for removal or reinstall??

Any 10s chain tool can be used to remove a Campag 10s chain. Any can be used to install the Campag pin..just gotta be careful and install straight(see note above about new pin in 'old' plate tho)..the Campag 10s cain tool has a guide pin that makes it much easier to do, is all..

BUT for above, get a quick link..like KMC..

bigbill
07-14-2018, 08:31 AM
All the years I rode 10 speed campy and I still have one bike with 10S Record, I used Wippermann Connex chains. A 10S8 Connex chain works great with campy.

daker13
07-14-2018, 03:31 PM
With respect to your friend, this is one of those things that seems like a dilemma at first but actually has an easy, cheap solution.

veggieburger
07-14-2018, 07:25 PM
With respect to your friend, this is one of those things that seems like a dilemma at first but actually has an easy, cheap solution.

Yes that's true. I just thought I'd have all the parts to complete the build today. Nbd have other bikes to ride. :)

Veloo
07-14-2018, 07:48 PM
How old is the chain? Is it worn/ stretched?

Ronsonic
07-14-2018, 08:24 PM
Campy will sell you a short bit of chain to make it possible to keep your chain length and push a pin into a virgin link. I've got one around here somewhere. I also have a card of KMC quicklinks for Campy that are what I actually use.

I really think the Campy chain runs and shifts best, but it stays cleaner if it has a quick link.