PDA

View Full Version : Aerolite Pedals...Anyone Know These?

SpokeValley
07-13-2018, 11:29 AM
I was in a local LBS yesterday when an older gentleman came in. While he was waiting for someone to help him, he and I struck up a conversation about bikes, of course. He was in to get a brake cable.

What a super nice guy and it turns out he has been loosely connected to the bike industry through the development, testing, and production of Aerolite pedals. (He's in his second retirement; I didn't ask his age.)

These were totally new to me, but intriguing. He was telling me about his work with MIT on the Daedalus human powered flight project in 1987. His pedals were used.

It was a facinating discussion that ended with him inviting me to his home and shop to have a look. I'm planning to go soon.

About the pedals, there is so much I want to like, but there are obvious limitations. Zero float for one. Certainly NOT "sexy".

Anyway, just wanted to share with the group. Here's the link:

http://aerolitepedals.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=46&Itemid=53

Happy Friday the 13th! :)

David Tollefson
07-13-2018, 11:39 AM
Late 80's product that had some traction in the triathlon market, but never really gained a foothold (haha) in the road market.

cachagua
07-13-2018, 11:42 AM
I used to ride them, found the cleats a little tricky... but a good concept, more thought behind it than a lot of "successful" products. At the time, the option (for clipless) was Cinelli M-71, and, yup, their cleats were a little tricky too.

Their product literature said they had Nelson Vails as a tester. I think they could work better on the track than for road riding.

Still have an Aerolite sticker under the lid of my toolbox.

djg21
07-13-2018, 11:54 AM
Here is the website: http://www.aerolitepedals.com

I had friends who loved them.

2metalhips
07-13-2018, 03:18 PM
I used them back in the late 80's. Super light.

Skenry
07-13-2018, 04:00 PM
They had a hard setup as they weren't too adjustable. My first set required a drill and screws to mount. If you got them placed right, I loved them. Past that, they held tight, they weighed next to nothing and had an amazing cornering angle.

I had at least three sets over the years and was running them well before my Looks.

Hellgate
07-13-2018, 05:33 PM
These are a blast from the past. I'd forgotten all about them. I was intrigued by them, never tried them.

My first clipless pedals were Talon composition plastic pedals. Worked great, light, fast bearings. 1697963303

pcxmbfj
07-14-2018, 11:15 AM
My first clipless pedals, bought used from a riding buddy.

Did a biathalon and the cleat bolts came out leaving me on spindles for 20+ miles.