PDA

View Full Version : Help me understand PressFit 30 Bottom Bracket Interface

Dan Le foot
07-13-2018, 12:30 AM
Hi Gang.
It’s been a few years since I built up a frame. Michelle just bought a new Parlee Chabacca Gravel frame set and is in the mail.
I just noticed that the details of the frame says “PressFit 30 Bottom Bracket Interface”.
I have no idea what this is. I’m used to B.B. cups with the bearings in the crank. (Currently own 4 Chorus 11 bikes.)
Michelle is planning to get the new Ultegra 8000 series for this build. Will the Ultegra crankset fit the Parlee pressfit 30?
Thanks.
Dan

dbnm
07-13-2018, 12:34 AM
Here you go
https://store.parleecycles.com/products/parlee-pf30-to-shimano-cups

Clean39T
07-13-2018, 12:37 AM
https://praxiscycles.com/bottom-brackets/conversion-bb/

You're looking for PF30 to 24mm outboard. There are other adapter-based solutions, but Praxis seems to be the most bombproof setup on offer. Also, R8000 is a solid choice. Just be prepared to watch some youtube videos to get the derailleur adjustments done just right.

Blown Reek
07-13-2018, 04:53 AM
Just buy the Parlee cups at the link two posts above, press them in, and install the cranks. Nothing is more simple.

Dan Le foot
07-13-2018, 07:35 AM
Just buy the Parlee cups at the link two posts above, press them in, and install the cranks. Nothing is more simple.

Any special tool needed to press those in?

velomateo
07-13-2018, 08:39 AM
You'll need a press for the installation. I purchased Press-7, from wheelsmfg.com. Very nice tool, that can be used for other tasks too.

Be sure to use the proper/recommended torque when installing the cranks. Too much side force will shorten the life of the bearings.

bikinchris
07-13-2018, 08:56 AM
Speaking of Wheels MFG. They have bottom brackets that screw together to fit conventional crankset to BB30 shells. No press needed.

GregL
07-13-2018, 09:02 AM
Speaking of Wheels MFG. They have bottom brackets that screw together to fit conventional crankset to BB30 shells. No press needed.
The Wheels MFG BB30 outboard bottom brackets do require a press for the drive side cup: https://wheelsmfg.com/tech/PDF/BB30-OUT-SHIMANO-AC-INSTRUCTIONS.pdf

Greg

nicrump
07-13-2018, 10:02 AM
Enduro TorqTite BBs have a PF30 solution for every possible need. They are a 3 piece thread together, no press required though their wrench is proprietary but affordable.

The best part besides Enduro bearing quality is the center section is reduced in diameter and allows for internal routing of hydro lines through the 46mm bore with no interference or risk of rubbing the spindle.

DrSpoke
07-13-2018, 10:04 AM
https://www.bikeradar.com/us/gear/article/complete-guide-to-bottom-brackets-36660/

sitzmark
07-13-2018, 11:06 AM
Enduro TorqTite BBs have a PF30 solution for every possible need. They are a 3 piece thread together, no press required though their wrench is proprietary but affordable.

The best part besides Enduro bearing quality is the center section is reduced in diameter and allows for internal routing of hydro lines through the 46mm bore with no interference or risk of rubbing the spindle.

+1. Use TorqTite in my PF30s with very favorable results to date. Only solution that retains BB30 spindle support that I am aware of. Solutions for adapting other spindle sizes also available. Have been lucky and have not had any real problems with PF30, but decided to go with TorqTite this season just 'cause. Crank area does feel more "solid" under power ... maybe just my imagination.

Clean39T
07-13-2018, 11:15 AM
The Wheels MFG BB30 outboard bottom brackets do require a press for the drive side cup: https://wheelsmfg.com/tech/PDF/BB30-OUT-SHIMANO-AC-INSTRUCTIONS.pdf

Greg

Mine went in without a press yesterday. Maybe I did it wrong, but using two BB tools pulled it together nice and evenly, and so far no creaking out of my Moots RSL...

josephr
07-13-2018, 11:27 AM
Mine went in without a press yesterday. Maybe I did it wrong, but using two BB tools pulled it together nice and evenly, and so far no creaking out of my Moots RSL...

I'm sure yours is just fine...the way they screw in together it'd be hard to get them out of alignment. I have the economy press from Wheels Mfg and use a couple of really large washers (don't want to press on the bearing itself)....using a press makes sure the BB faces up to the shell without misalignment and allows to get the non-drive side hand-tight before using wrench tool. The economy press is very well made and a great tool to have around for the home wrench as its come in handy for various tasks. Works well with intimidating teenagers too. :)

I've gotten 7500 miles out of my last Wheels Mfg BB30-Out....just put in a new one this morning as a matter of fact. I know a lot of folks like the Praxxis version, but from everything I've read/heard, the extra $ doesn't get you a better BB.

CiclistiCliff
07-13-2018, 01:54 PM
Enduro TorqTites are great and all, but Praxis are infinitely better.

Dan Le foot
07-14-2018, 07:04 AM
Thanks everyone. But I am even more confused.
Apparently Parlee uses a PF30 interface in all their bottom bracket shells. I thought that Ultegra doesn’t have a bottom bracket to work with the shell and I would have to install an adapter.
I was just in “wrench science” and when I did a build with Ultegra 8000 the drop down said it came with a Ultegra PF30 bottom bracket. So why would I need an adapter?
Dan

oldpotatoe
07-14-2018, 07:11 AM
Apparently Parlee uses a PF30 interface in all their bottom bracket shells. I thought that Ultegra doesn’t have a bottom bracket to work with the shell and I would have to install an adapter.
I was just in “wrench science” and when I did a build with Ultegra 8000 the drop down said it came with a Ultegra PF30 bottom bracket. So why would I need an adapter?
Dan

shimano does indeed now make a PFBB30 BB..just found it..:eek:

nicrump
07-14-2018, 11:52 AM
Dan

id still get one of the thread-together ones mentioned.

CiclistiCliff
07-14-2018, 12:19 PM
I will say the Parlee PF30 cups are the nicest non threadfit version on the market.

Gummee
07-14-2018, 12:32 PM

As does Enduro.

...and Enduro's BB tools are the bees knees for pressing and removing PF BBs.

Of the 2, it's a tough choice, but I'd go Enduro

M