PDA

View Full Version : Tubeless Conversion for Newbie - Marin Gestalt Wheelset

tlarwa
07-11-2018, 01:03 PM
Just bought a brand new (and first) gravel bike ... Marin Gestalt X11. I am a long time roadie, and have no experience with tubeless set-ups. That said, I'd like to run tubeless on this one. The rims are "Marin Aluminum Double Wall, 21mm Inner, 30mm Tall, Disc Specific, Tubeless Compatible" and the tires are Schwalbe G-One Performance (700x30). So I know that the rims can be used, but I'm confused as to whether the tires can (the G-One Evolution line says "TL Easy", but the Performance line doesn't). Can someone comment on that? After that, I assume I need 21mm rim tape (2 layers in tension ... I have been doing some reading) and sealant. Anything else? If someone can confirm whether the tires can be used I'd appreciate it ... as well as any other tips and advice.

Thanks!

bigbill
07-11-2018, 01:17 PM
According to Merlin Cycles, the Performance line is not Tubeless. Panaracer Gravel Kings are nice tubeless (>35mm) tires and competitively priced.

rheosibal
07-11-2018, 01:21 PM
You'll also need valves.

Are you sure they're spec'd with the Performance Line, not Evo?

I thought the 30c was Evo only. Anyways, I don't have any experience with the Performance tires, but the compounds are a bit different than the Evo. Not sure it it'll affect setting up tubeless.

tlarwa
07-11-2018, 01:27 PM
You'll also need valves.

I thought the 30c was Evo only. Anyways, I don't have any experience with the Performance tires, but the compounds are a bit different than the Evo. Not sure it it'll affect setting up tubeless.

I thought that as well, but sure enough, the tires have a "P" on them and not a "1" like the Evo line does. And yeah, I forgot to mention valves. Sounds like the Stan's valves are good and fit most rim profiles well?

rheosibal
07-11-2018, 01:32 PM
Got it. Doubt they're tubeless compatible, but it wouldn't hurt to try before buying new tires.

Read that the performance line isn't tubeless compatible, but this was based on their MTB tires (which are the same compounds).

bigbill
07-11-2018, 01:37 PM
Yeah, valves, tape, on lower pressure tires you can do one wrap but it won't hurt at all to put two layers. I retaped a rim this morning. I wore out a tire and when I deflated it, it peeled the tape back. It happens.

As far as trying a tire tubeless that's not tubeless, do you have a good dental plan?

tlarwa
07-11-2018, 01:39 PM
As far as trying a tire tubeless that's not tubeless, do you have a good dental plan?

I do, but I'd rather not use it. I'll keep the current tubes and tires as a back-up since they're practically new!

jbreebs
07-11-2018, 01:57 PM
I'd give the tubeless setup a try with the current tires before investing in another set - if they hold you'll save yourself a good chunk of change. It's worth the ~$10 in sealant to give it a chance.

Tips and tricks:
Start the taping opposite the valve stem - you might be able to get away with a single layer, and the weak point where the tape overlaps is no longer right by the valve. If you have pinned rims, cut a small strip of tape and put it over the joint, which should help to seal the rim a bit better.

Once you get your valve stem in and tire mounted, remove the valve core for better airflow. Once you get the bead seated (hopefully easily!), inject sealant through the valve, and give it another little blast of air to clear the valve of sealant. Nobody wants sticky, sealed up valves!

Replace valve core, reinflate to desired pressure. Shake, roll, ride etc to spread sealant throughout the tire. I'd possibly expect some sealant to weep through the sidewalls - this will eventually seal up the tire from the inside out - may take a bit of time and you may need to reinflate and add some extra sealant.

Once the pressure holds for a few days, I'd call it good and run the tires until it's time fore new ones, and replace with a tubeless ready tire at that point. Keep in mind that sealant does dry up and you should check the levels periodically, and refresh as necessary.

arthurlo
07-11-2018, 11:40 PM
If sealant continues to leak out the sidewalls, you can let the wheels sit horizontally (I lay them on top of a round laundry basket) on each side overnight.

That will sometimes help seal up the sidewalls on tires that are not tubeless ready.

ColonelJLloyd
07-12-2018, 01:04 AM
...and the tires are Schwalbe G-One Performance (700x30).

You'll also need valves.

Are we talking about the G-One Speed?

Schwalbe has no shortage of identifiers, value-adds, and so forth on their tires. I can't see that it helps the consumer.

One thing I can say from my Schwalbe tubeless experience is that the tire doesn't need to be "TL Easy" for it to setup and perform flawless in tubeless fashion. The TL Easy designation, I believe, means the tire has a layer of something in the sidewall making for a stiffer sidewall and easier tubeless setup. In my experience this is not much of an issue if you are using a pump with some sort of "volume dump" or a compressor and I would prefer to have the more supple sidewall for road use than tires that nearly seat themselves tubeless (some of my MTB tires do this).

Also note that there is a "Performance Line" and a "performance" rubber compound.

I definitely understand trepidation about using a tire that does not explicitly say on the tire that it is "tubeless compatible" for your first tubeless setup, but I would run the G-One 700x30 on those tubeless compatible rims. EDIT: I rescind this. Apparently this is a weird OEM only tire for which little to info is available. I have no experience with Schwalbe OEM stuff.

I've used Pacenti, Velocity, WTB and eThirteen valves. I wouldn't buy WTB valves again. I have bought the eThirteen valves for subsequent wheelsets. I like that one of the stem caps is a core removal tool.

As far as I know the only 700x30 G-One is the "Speed-TLE". I just bought a pair but haven't installed them. Do yours look like this?

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/846/43193394692_fb2874981b_c.jpg

bigbill
07-12-2018, 09:10 AM
I get it, there are a lot of brave souls on the internet that will tell you it's okay to run the tire the OP mentioned in a tubeless setup. Here is a page from the Schwalbe website.

https://www.schwalbetires.com/node/2366

Note that the Performance line of G One is not tubeless.

This is a forum of people who aren't in the least phased by spending many thousands of dollars on bikes, why in the world would you take a risk on trying tires in a tubeless setup that weren't made to be that way?

ColonelJLloyd
07-12-2018, 10:13 AM
I get it, there are a lot of brave souls on the internet that will tell you it's okay to run the tire the OP mentioned in a tubeless setup. Here is a page from the Schwalbe website.

https://www.schwalbetires.com/node/2366

Note that the Performance line of G One is not tubeless.

This is a forum of people who aren't in the least phased by spending many thousands of dollars on bikes, why in the world would you take a risk on trying tires in a tubeless setup that weren't made to be that way?

Just what tire is it the OP mentioned then? It isn't clear to me. It wouldn't seem to be a tire from the page you linked.

As I said above, Schwalbe confuses things with all their terminology. But, per Schwalbe, because a tire is not labeled "TL Easy" does not mean that it cannot be run tubeless.

I have no experience with this Performance line of tires and I do not see that a "G-One" tire in the Performance line exists in 30-622. Maybe they explicitly say that certain tires should not be run tubeless, but none of the recent Schwalbe tires I've used say this anywhere that I can see.

Davist
07-12-2018, 10:28 AM
Agreed with above, the "performance" is the OEM tubed tire, if you want tubeless, you have to upgrade the tires to the TL style. Had the same issue on my former gravel bike, just dumped sealant in the tube. With the added volume of the 35s, the lower pressure and the sealant, never had a flat over 2 years (winters) of mixed riding including our "gravel" events (15-85% gravel) here..

bigbill
07-12-2018, 10:39 AM
I have no experience with this Performance line of tires and I do not see that a "G-One" tire in the Performance line exists in 30-622. Maybe they explicitly say that certain tires should not be run tubeless, but none of the recent Schwalbe tires I've used say this anywhere that I can see.

Because Schwalbe markets the Performance line of tires as cost effective and not tubeless. Why would anyone recommend running those tires tubeless? If a person comes to this forum seeking answers, why not give the right ones?

ColonelJLloyd
07-12-2018, 11:03 AM
Agreed with above, the "performance" is the OEM tubed tire

Thank you. I guess this explains why there is **** all information to be found on this tire.

Because Schwalbe markets the Performance line of tires as cost effective and not tubeless. Why would anyone recommend running those tires tubeless? If a person comes to this forum seeking answers, why not give the right ones?

I was trying to confirm whether or not there is such a thing as a 700x30 tire in the Performance line. For whatever reason you purposely removed that question when you quoted me.

My previous answer was based on my understanding that the OP purchased these 700x30 tires and because, as far as I can tell, only one 700x30 G-One tire is available for purchase and it is good-to-go tubeless. Mea culpa for not being aware Schwalbe has an OEM only 700x30 tire and my misunderstanding of the OP.

tlarwa
07-12-2018, 04:52 PM
Wow ... lot's of comments that I hadn't read yet. The tires I have must be the OEM version. The are the performance line, with a "P" on the sidewall instead of a "1" (like on the evo line). The Schwalbe web page doesn't show a 700x30 tire in the performance line, which caused my confusion. I attached a pic of the actual sidewall.

I will purchase some tubeless specific tires, and not take a chance with these. I'll have a spare set with tubes in case I need them. Since I ride a lot of pavement yet, with some fairly groomed gravel thrown in, I may try the G-One evo speed tires, which are reviewed to roll pretty nicely. I'd rather lean towards a road tire which will work okay on gravel than the other way around.

Davist
07-12-2018, 06:26 PM
I may try the G-One evo speed tires, which are reviewed to roll pretty nicely. I'd rather lean towards a road tire which will work okay on gravel than the other way around.

try the g-one speeds, everyone I know who has them (3 people) loves them, and can roll well enough on our rides..

fogrider
07-14-2018, 03:17 AM
Clinchers have a hook that mates with the rim. Tubeless has a taller hook interface and greater area to hook together with rim. it may work to use a non TL tire, but when you put weight on it and hit some rough road, the tire could burp or just blow off.

ColonelJLloyd
07-16-2018, 08:51 AM
Wow ... lot's of comments that I hadn't read yet. The tires I have must be the OEM version. The are the performance line, with a "P" on the sidewall instead of a "1" (like on the evo line). The Schwalbe web page doesn't show a 700x30 tire in the performance line, which caused my confusion. I attached a pic of the actual sidewall.

I will purchase some tubeless specific tires, and not take a chance with these. I'll have a spare set with tubes in case I need them. Since I ride a lot of pavement yet, with some fairly groomed gravel thrown in, I may try the G-One evo speed tires, which are reviewed to roll pretty nicely. I'd rather lean towards a road tire which will work okay on gravel than the other way around.

Curious what the little box to the right of the "ONE" on the sidewall says.