PDA

View Full Version : Quick Dumb Disc Question

cachagua
07-11-2018, 12:44 PM
Because I am a disc idiot, I must ask:

When you bleed the calipers, what do you do with the oil that comes out? Can you re-use it? Dump it down the sink? Massage sore quads with it? Any good cocktail recipes?

Tell me quick, I want to get my brakes hooked up today if I can.

FlashUNC
07-11-2018, 12:47 PM
Do not dump it down the sink.

zap
07-11-2018, 12:51 PM
store in a container then take an annual trip to your local garbage/recycle center. Probably be bleeding brakes a few times each year.

Gummee
07-11-2018, 12:57 PM
make a cocktail and drink up!

M

that was a joke!

mktng
07-11-2018, 01:07 PM
disposal different DOT vs Mineral Oil ?

cachagua
07-11-2018, 01:15 PM
store in a container then take an annual trip to your local garbage/recycle center...

But in any case, don't put it back in the brakes, it sounds like. Thank you, that's what I needed to know.

Reason I ask is, my bleed kit came with everything TRP's video shows, except a container to catch the overflow. I thought, why don't I just let the drain tube dribble back into the bottle of fluid? Only, would that be a little like putting the old oil back in your car when you change the oil? Or would it, I wondered, not knowing just what the oil's life is like in the brake caliper...

And that is why the Paceline is wonderful. Now I know. And with any luck I'll have a disc brake bike by the end of the day!

mcteague
07-11-2018, 03:46 PM
Don’t have disks on my bicycle but bleed them on my motorcycle myself. I use an old water bottle to hold the old fluid. Then, when I also change the oil, I take a trip to our local landfill where they handle proper disposal.

Tim

Ronsonic
07-11-2018, 06:17 PM
I've done a few bleeds, Shimano and Tektro, so mineral oil. Don't recall having a disposal problem beyond "dampened paper towel."

I think we're overworking this problem a bit.

dem
07-11-2018, 07:07 PM
..also who is bleeding their brakes several times per year?

I'm on my 4th set of rotors and 8+ sets of pads.. lever is still solid. I see no reason to rebleed unless you're taking in air or the lever gets squishy.

Cat3roadracer
07-11-2018, 07:45 PM
I have disc brakes on three bikes. Two of which I set up new. I have yet to do any maintenance other than pads.

Gummee
07-11-2018, 07:56 PM
..also who is bleeding their brakes several times per year?

I'm on my 4th set of rotors and 8+ sets of pads.. lever is still solid. I see no reason to rebleed unless you're taking in air or the lever gets squishy.

You should probably think about bleeding em then. The fluid is probably nasty.

M

cachagua
07-11-2018, 08:43 PM
On my 4th set of rotors and 8+ sets of pads.. lever is still solid. I see no reason to rebleed unless you're taking in air or the lever gets squishy.

This is part of what I've been wondering, because who wants to go to the trouble of you don't need to. But I've got a second-hand pair of HyRds, obviously don't know a thing about their history, --and also, never used them before so I don't have a baseline for how the lever should feel. I sorta guessed it's good policy.

And, of COURSE a million other things came up today and I didn't do it, so now I've gotta keep wondering.

Should probably think about bleeding 'em... the fluid is probably nasty.

What happens inside the brake caliper that makes the fluid get nasty? It gets hot and cools off, okay, gets pressurized and released, --does that just break it down over time? Doesn't seem like contamination should really be a problem, no way anything could get in to contaminate it...?

And after a couple of sets of pads I'll be in for rotors too. Dang, does this disc business takes its toll or what?

dem
07-11-2018, 09:14 PM
I figure every couple years is probably fine unless the lever gets soft. Mineral oil does not absorb moisture, it has a very high boiling point, etc.

I'm already replacing brake parts what feels like constantly, so I ain't adding bleeding in too.

yinzerniner
07-11-2018, 09:56 PM
This is part of what I've been wondering, because who wants to go to the trouble of you don't need to. But I've got a second-hand pair of HyRds, obviously don't know a thing about their history, --and also, never used them before so I don't have a baseline for how the lever should feel. I sorta guessed it's good policy.

And, of COURSE a million other things came up today and I didn't do it, so now I've gotta keep wondering.

What happens inside the brake caliper that makes the fluid get nasty? It gets hot and cools off, okay, gets pressurized and released, --does that just break it down over time? Doesn't seem like contamination should really be a problem, no way anything could get in to contaminate it...?

And after a couple of sets of pads I'll be in for rotors too. Dang, does this disc business takes its toll or what?

First, HyRds are a completely different beast. They're cable actuated hydraulic, in which the hydraulic fluid is only in the caliper and not the hydraulic line. You should only bleed them if they feel soft or you opened up the reservoir to open air. Also the bleed procedure is quite different from Shimano or SRAM. If I were you, set them up FIRST and do a couple of light rides to see if they feel ok. I know that they're VERY dependent on compressionless brake cable, so make sure you source a good set to match.

Second, "nasty" is very relative term. No "sealed" system is faultless, and air pockets and water will always infiltrate even the best hydraulic systems, so you'll need to do a bleed to get rid of any elements that will change the chemical and performance makeup of the hydraulic fluid. The "nasty" has nothing to do with everyday operation, but rather the infiltration of elements that aren't 100% brake fluid, be it the mineral oil or DOT kind.

You should really read the manual on the TRP Hy Rds before asking any questions. It's pretty extensive and goes over a lot of the question you've asked.

cachagua
07-12-2018, 01:04 AM
Should really read the manual on the TRP Hy Rds before asking any questions. It's pretty extensive and goes over a lot of the question you've asked.

Presumably I can find that online? Didn't get a copy with the brakes.

I will poke around and see what I turn up, thanks.

johnniecakes
07-12-2018, 06:16 AM
Do any of you guys drain and replace the brake fluid in your cars? I cannot remember ever draining and replacing all the fluid. I have done it to the clutch on my sons Toyota but never the brakes. Doesn't that fluid see much more extreme use?

oldpotatoe
07-12-2018, 06:30 AM
Do any of you guys drain and replace the brake fluid in your cars? I cannot remember ever draining and replacing all the fluid. I have done it to the clutch on my sons Toyota but never the brakes. Doesn't that fluid see much more extreme use?

Some manufacturers recommend it, some don't.
https://www.cars.com/articles/2013/12/does-brake-fluid-need-to-be-changed/

austex
07-12-2018, 08:49 AM

Non-synthetic DOT fluids are hygroscopic (absorb moisture). The fluid reservoir is not sealed to air, thus over time, can become contaminated. Fair maintenance protocol is flush/replace fluid every few years (40-50,000 miles).

MikeD
07-12-2018, 08:59 AM
Non-synthetic DOT fluids are hygroscopic (absorb moisture). The fluid reservoir is not sealed to air, thus over time, can become contaminated. Fair maintenance protocol is flush/replace fluid every few years (40-50,000 miles).

I've seen synthetic DOT 4 fluid in auto parts and stores (Valvoline). It is hygroscopic else it wouldn't be labeled DOT 4.

Skenry
07-12-2018, 11:49 AM
My old stuff usually ends up in the floor drain in the garage. No clogs yet, it does sometimes still freeze in the winter though.

foo_fighter
07-12-2018, 01:03 PM
Please tell me you are not flushing hazardous materials down the drain into open water.

My old stuff usually ends up in the floor drain in the garage. No clogs yet, it does sometimes still freeze in the winter though.

David Kirk
07-12-2018, 01:50 PM
One can recycle it with your used motor oil if you are a change-you-own-oil person.

dave

Gummee
07-12-2018, 02:05 PM
One can recycle it with your used motor oil if you are a change-you-own-oil person.

dave

IIRC here in VA if a store sells oil, they have to take used oil too

I KNOW you can drop it off at the county dump here in Prince William Co. BTDT lots

M