PDA

View Full Version : Carbon stays lasting on metal frames?

Veloo
07-11-2018, 11:51 AM
The Douglas PSA reminded me that I've been meaning to ask if anyone has ever had, seen or heard of a carbon stay separating from its steel, aluminum or Ti half.

Didn't see anything on a very quick search but have wondered for a while about the longevity of those mixed material frames.

batman1425
07-11-2018, 12:06 PM
Depends on the frame, type of connection (glue only, glue + mechanical fastener), etc but I've seen it happen before.

Older aluminum Alan cross frames with the carbon chainstays seemed to have a history of separating from the BB junction after the adhesive failed. Had a friend that went through 3 of them, all the same failure point.

The mixed material cannondale six13's had frequent reports of corrosion at the AL-Carbon junction as well.

bigreen505
07-11-2018, 01:31 PM
I had a stay crack, but not separate. I would love to get it fixed. It was a fantastic frame.

berserk87
07-11-2018, 01:54 PM
My last frame was a Klein Quantum Race - aluminum with a carbon rear triangle.

The aluminum started to bubble and corrode near the carbon junction at the seat stay. On a ride one day, I hit a hard bump at high speed and the area made a loud cracking noise. There was a crack/line visible in the area after that. The frame did not fail, but it was unnerving.

At that point, I ended up retiring the frame and got something else. I had the Klein for about 13 years and had beaten it silly, so I couldn't complain too much.

duff_duffy
07-11-2018, 02:06 PM
I’ve had mixed frames from Serotta, Airborne, Lemond, Seven and Colnago. Never had issues with any of them and would not hesitate to buy new or used (if taken care of).

RonW87
07-11-2018, 02:09 PM
I have a Pinarello alu-carbon Prince that's probably close to 20 years old. Ridden in miserable weather and had it on a trainer for a couple of years. Similar with a Trek. No issues at the carbon/alu junction.

bigman
07-11-2018, 02:49 PM
Never had an issue with steel and carbon, ti and carbon or airplane aluminum and carbon.

gforce
07-11-2018, 03:10 PM
I had a Orbea starship frame that was alu with carbon stays. It
was getting a bit old when I noticed some clear coat cracking. This
graduated to some movement in the carbon stay at the alu junction.
I decided to retire it before it got worse.

fignon's barber
07-11-2018, 04:23 PM
I had a Colnago CT1 with carbon BStay for 14 years. Great bike and never had a problem. Also had a Colnago Dream with BStay that was also excellent.

oldpotatoe
07-12-2018, 06:37 AM
The Douglas PSA reminded me that I've been meaning to ask if anyone has ever had, seen or heard of a carbon stay separating from its steel, aluminum or Ti half.

Didn't see anything on a very quick search but have wondered for a while about the longevity of those mixed material frames.

Infrequent but not unheard of ..seen it a few times. Maybe some industrial strength epoxy can fix it.

oldpotatoe
07-12-2018, 06:39 AM

Somebody has a recall about aluminum/carbon mixed frames that were corroding/separating because the aluminum wasn't pre treated properly before hand..or sumthin..don remember. :eek:

Gummee
07-12-2018, 10:45 AM
My Y2K Quattro Assi still looks great (but it's hanging in the garage waiting for a group)

M

FlashUNC
07-12-2018, 11:07 AM
No u'll die.

wildboar
07-12-2018, 11:31 AM
https://youtu.be/ApaHwSixklA?t=158

Geemalar
07-12-2018, 11:59 AM
FWIW owner since new of a 2002 Litespeed Siena which now for the past 10 years is only used on road in winters and on the trainer. Carbon / ti junction looks like the day I purchased it.